The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 13, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #10,426 of 19,652
Mine should be fresh on its legs! I've only had it two days!

Oh, well then, maybe it has a birth defect like narcolepsy...
cool.gif

Jun 13, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #10,427 of 19,652
  what the hell is this?? I've just spent £300 on something that won't even turn on when i want to...
More than once I've come back to my x5 to listen to some music, and all i find is that it won't turn on at all and its just sat there feeling rather warm....

`what is happening?!

Do you have it plugged onto the charger? I find that I have to unplug the charger, turn on the X5, then plug the charger back in to listen to music while the battery charges.

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #10,428 of 19,652
Wow, the new IC I got for this is like an adrenalin shot to the heart!

I've often seen it mentioned that cables can make the last 20-30% of your system sound, never truly believed that until today...

Downside though is getting used to the new sound. :frowning2:

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #10,429 of 19,652
I received my new X5 yesterday..everything was going great until just. I was listening to a song (@ 48 khz/24 bit, at full volume into Sennheiser HD598) and it just randomly made a short, sharp crackling sound and turned off. It wouldn't turn on no matter what I did until I held the button to the top left of the scroll wheel, and then the power button like it says to do when you're doing a firmware update. That booted it up, it didn't find the update file and then turned off. And then it worked fine and has been for a few minutes. Not sure what to do about this, anybody else experience something similar? I'd really rather not to do an RMA but I don't want a faulty unit. Thanks for the help!

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #10,430 of 19,652
I received my new X5 yesterday..everything was going great until just. I was listening to a song (@ 48 khz/24 bit, at full volume into Sennheiser HD598) and it just randomly made a short, sharp crackling sound and turned off. It wouldn't turn on no matter what I did until I held the button to the top left of the scroll wheel, and then the power button like it says to do when you're doing a firmware update. That booted it up, it didn't find the update file and then turned off. And then it worked fine and has been for a few minutes. Not sure what to do about this, anybody else experience something similar? I'd really rather not to do an RMA but I don't want a faulty unit. Thanks for the help!

I think it's some sort of kill switch they have put in to stop large currents from ruining the circuit/amp. Not sure why it happens but mine has refused to turn on a few times and it is really bugging me as I need a toothpick to rest it on the top, seriously considering returning it... Such a shame.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #10,431 of 19,652
Wow, the new IC I got for this is like an adrenalin shot to the heart!

I've often seen it mentioned that cables can make the last 20-30% of your system sound, never truly believed that until today...

Downside though is getting used to the new sound. :frowning2:

What IC cable again? How does it compare to the HS6 / L16 cable?

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #10,432 of 19,652
I received my new X5 yesterday..everything was going great until just. I was listening to a song (@ 48 khz/24 bit, at full volume into Sennheiser HD598) and it just randomly made a short, sharp crackling sound and turned off.........

Why?! :eek:

Jun 14, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #10,434 of 19,652
   I don't think so. I will put music to those cards via computer. Each of them will contain different set of genres.

Here's a link for adapter:

http://www.dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001#.U5s8nfldVsE

get two of them and two of PNY 256GB SD cards:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1016078-REG/pny_technologies_p_sdx256u1h_ge_256gb_elite_sdxc_uhs_1_card.html

If all of these can work in a stable condition, I'd say this is the largest capacity DAP ever.

So as i understand it, you slide the SD cards into these adaptors and they then plug into the micro SD slots in the bottom of the X5. This leaves them hanging out of the player then. How secure do they fit into the slots? So this will in affect make a 512Gb player.

Jun 14, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #10,435 of 19,652
  So as i understand it, you slide the SD cards into these adaptors and they then plug into the micro SD slots in the bottom of the X5. This leaves them hanging out of the player then. How secure do they fit into the slots? So this will in affect make a 512Gb player.

put those adapters and SD cards on X5 then use a leather cover to keep them safe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fiio-X5-Music-Player-Leather-Case-Color-Black-Brown-/301157298306?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cases_Covers_Skins&var=600238588080&hash=item461e5fb082

This leather cover will keep them from falling out.

Jun 14, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #10,436 of 19,652

put those adapters and SD cards on X5 then use a leather cover to keep them safe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fiio-X5-Music-Player-Leather-Case-Color-Black-Brown-/301157298306?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cases_Covers_Skins&var=600238588080&hash=item461e5fb082

This leather cover will keep them from falling out.

Understood, so insert the adaptors then fold them round the back of the player and slid the player into the cover then. I'm thinking of pairing it with the Vorzüge VorzAMP PURE II amp in one of the Fiio hard cases so I'm not sure if that would fit an X5 with leather case in it?

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #10,437 of 19,652
  Understood, so insert the adaptors then fold them round the back of the player and slid the player into the cover then. I'm thinking of pairing it with the Vorzüge VorzAMP PURE II amp in one of the Fiio hard cases so I'm not sure if that would fit an X5 with leather case in it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Pair-Fiio-Silicon-Rubber-Bands-for-Mobilephone-MINI-AMP-Binding-/121242679490?pt=US_MP3_Player_Armbands&hash=item1c3aa078c2

Use this for amp after covering X5 with a leather case.

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #10,438 of 19,652
Jun 14, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #10,439 of 19,652
Also anyone who wants to use two SD to Micro SD card converters like this I am not sure if the player will support it currently (unless someone has had success using 2 & can share the same) :

http://www.dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001#.U5wJfyhc33V

I tried using mine in the Card slot 2 it dosen't work, it works only in TF card slot 1. So I don't know if 2 card converters will work simultaneously. I use 128 GB SD card with SD to MSD adapter in slot 1, 64 gb MSD card in slot 2 & 64 GB MSD card with Meenova OTG adapter in the USB slot.

http://www.meenova.com/st/p/m3r.html

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #10,440 of 19,652
  Another odd thing is happening concerning cover art on one album on my X5:

I am playing Ship Arriving too Late To Save a Drowning Witch by Frank Zappa.  All of the songs are FLAC Level 5 and have artwork embedded into the file.  This is consistent with every other song in my library.  For this particular album, however, the album art does not show up when I'm playing the songs on the X5.  I get a black screen where the art should be.  There are no issues with these files when I play them back on my computer or Squeezebox and I tried deleting the artwork and re-embedding it.  Nothing.

This is the only album out of several thousand in which I have noticed this issue.  I am currently using FW 2.02beta, but the same problem occured on FW 2.0.

Anybody else experience something like this?

What size (dimensions and file size) and format (jpg, png, etc.) is the album art?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back