The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 10, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #10,351 of 19,652
In the vid it's shown that the back is glued on, you can remove it, but it's not possible to just unscrew or unclick it.
(as shown in the video, which i won't link as i'm not sure if FiiO would be okay with that)

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #10,352 of 19,652
ok - thx for the info. More I did not want to know.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #10,353 of 19,652
As with all rechargeable batteries, the day will come when it will not take a charge that lasts as long as desired.

The trick to extending the useful life of the battery is to shallow-cycle it, rather than deep-cycling it.

In other words, put it back on the charger after each use, rather than running it all the way down between charges.  Better still, keep it plugged into external power while playing it, whenever possible.  (Protect the battery, so that you can enjoy it when you don't have access to external power.)

Table 2 compares the number of discharge/charge cycles Li-ion can deliver at various DoD levels before the battery capacity drops to 70 percent. The number of discharge cycles depends on many conditions and includes charge voltage, temperature and load currents. Not all Li-ion systems behave the same.

Depth of discharge

Discharge cycles

Table 2: Cycle life as a function of
depth of discharge

A partial discharge reduces stress and prolongs battery life. Elevated temperature and high currents also affect cycle life.

100% DoD

50% DoD

25% DoD

10% DoD

300 – 500

1,200 – 1,500

2,000 – 2,500

3,750 – 4,700

Source:  http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Notice that by repeatedly taking the battery down to only a 50% depth of discharge with each cycle, you get a lot more than twice as many cycles as had with a repeated 100% depth of discharge.  And if you repeatedly use only 25% depth of discharge, you get even more "free" cycles before the battery has to be replaced.

When convenient, I keep the X5 connected to an Anker Pro external battery during use:

This ensures that I'll have more than a couple of years service from the internal battery when I go lightweight - with just the X5 and headphones.

Mike

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #10,354 of 19,652
In case the X5 hangs on you on the latest firmware :xf_eek: , you may report any such incidents here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/722411/the-official-hung-up-on-my-player-thread

and we'll see what we can do about fixing it in further firmware updates. :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 10, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #10,355 of 19,652
In case the X5 hangs on you on the latest firmware
redface.gif
, you may report any such incidents here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/722411/the-official-hung-up-on-my-player-thread

and we'll see what we can do about fixing it in further firmware updates.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeeeey they're back!

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #10,356 of 19,652
I would like to apologize to those who read this thread b/c I asked a question about whether there are manuals or not. After thinking about this for a while, I realized I could do my own search and go to the Fiio website.... which I did and... downloaded my own user manual. Sorry guys and gals.
The user manual is also on the player, albeit not so good if it won't power up...

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #10,357 of 19,652
Excellent tip.  I use a couple XPAL 18000 batteries on long trips and even in the house to charge my devices without having to be tied down by the wall socket.  Naturally I learned of these battery packs from you back in my 2Stepdance days
beerchug.gif
.  I would be interested in trying the X5 with something like the 2Stepdance to drive more power hungry headphones.  

The Anker looks to be more portable than my XPAL 18000.  Lots of good reviews too. 

Quote:
  As with all rechargeable batteries, the day will come when it will not take a charge that lasts as long as desired.

The trick to extending the useful life of the battery is to shallow-cycle it, rather than deep-cycling it.

In other words, put it back on the charger after each use, rather than running it all the way down between charges.  Better still, keep it plugged into external power while playing it, whenever possible.  (Protect the battery, so that you can enjoy it when you don't have access to external power.)

Source:  http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Notice that by repeatedly taking the battery down to only a 50% depth of discharge with each cycle, you get a lot more than twice as many cycles as had with a repeated 100% depth of discharge.  And if you repeatedly use only 25% depth of discharge, you get even more "free" cycles before the battery has to be replaced.

When convenient, I keep the X5 connected to an Anker Pro external battery during use:

This ensures that I'll have more than a couple of years service from the internal battery when I go lightweight - with just the X5 and headphones.

Mike

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #10,358 of 19,652
I've listened to X5 with my V3, and I can see why some people may not be a fan of these and resort to DX90.  V3 doesn't output the same resolution as the NT-6, and therefore it doesn't reveal what the X5 is really outputting, which is extreme clarity and details.  Possibly dynamic drivers may fare better as Duncan likes these with the IE800.  

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #10,359 of 19,652
Hey there i'm a newbie here at head-fi as well as a newbie for the x5 
Hope we can have a good time here :)
so…is there anyone like me would like some improvements in the UI…?
You know i hope there would be an option to sort under Artist...
I mean, where we can play all the songs under that artist under the same list…?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #10,360 of 19,652
Anyone else experimenting some popping with higher sample rate files? I've got Elton John in 48 kHz 16bit and it pops randomly throughout the album.

Haven't experienced this with any other album yet.

Thoughts?

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #10,361 of 19,652
Anyone else experimenting some popping with higher sample rate files? I've got Elton John in 48 kHz 16bit and it pops randomly throughout the album.

Haven't experienced this with any other album yet.

Thoughts?

From what I read in this forum, the popping on higher sample rate files may be caused by the following:
  1. cover art or other non-audio files in the same folder as the album (try removing them)
  2. microsd card formatting issue (format the microsd card with the X5 using the settings menu)
  3. file tagging issue
    1. weird characters in tags (clean-up your tags)
    2. duplicate album art (remove any unneeded art, use the opportunity to make sure the album art is not too large)
  4. microsd card issue (try using a different card) *this case is less likely in your case since it seem to be consistently the same album

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #10,362 of 19,652
Today i succeeded (no glory) to connect the X5 to an external HD and play from it. Just wanted to share my experience with you. 
I had a Cowon X7 that broke last year, but the 160go 1,8" HD was still intact. I removed it from the Cowon X7 and ordered an USB to ZIF (pata) tiny case to put the HD into it.After reformating it, every file i've put on it just played fine on the Fiio X5. The drive is detected, powered (I wonder how much it will lower the battery life) and fully available for the X5. 
The hard drive case is smaller than the X5 as you can see on the picture. Still very portable ! 
So if you have a 1,8" hd collecting dust (the drive in the cowon is the same as those into iPods classic), that's an idea to recycle it : ) 

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #10,363 of 19,652
  Today i succeeded (no glory) to connect the X5 to an external HD and play from it. Just wanted to share my experience with you. 
I had a Cowon X7 that broke last year, but the 160go 1,8" HD was still intact. I removed it from the Cowon X7 and ordered an USB to ZIF (pata) tiny case to put the HD into it.After reformating it, every file i've put on it just played fine on the Fiio X5. The drive is detected, powered (I wonder how much it will lower the battery life) and fully available for the X5. 
The hard drive case is smaller than the X5 as you can see on the picture. Still very portable ! 
So if you have a 1,8" hd collecting dust (the drive in the cowon is the same as those into iPods classic), that's an idea to recycle it : ) 

Awesome! Case looks like a pretty even match too.

It must be the 1.8" doesn't draw too much power that the usb port is able to host it. You can get some pretty good sized 1.8" hard drives. I think last I heard toshiba had 320gb drives. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #10,364 of 19,652

Awesome! Case looks like a pretty even match too.

It must be the 1.8" doesn't draw too much power that the usb port is able to host it. You can get some pretty good sized 1.8" hard drives. I think last I heard toshiba had 320gb drives. 

Sure, these tiny drives don't need too much power, the Cowon and iPod classic battery life is very decent : ) 
And yes, toshiba has some 320gb models (or 250, easier to find), in SATA, not ZIF. There is the same case as mine in sata, so that's another (and better) option. Toshiba claims that these drives draw even less power than the zif ones. 

http://www.span.com/product/Toshiba-1-8-Micro-SATA-8mm-MK3233GSG-HDD1F13-microSATA-3Gb-320GB-5400rpm~27941  these drives are quite pricey though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back