The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 1, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #10,051 of 19,652
Sorry about the pictures not loading, here you go. Also I meant HS7 not HS6. I got them confused.

image.jpg

Run your finger across the logo.  If it's indented, it's real.  Otherwise, probably not.  Also, the carabiner is heavy duty steel, not a cheap aluminum flimsy material.

Not sure why you would even bother with ebay if you are in US.  Miccastore has it in blue and red for $9.99: http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-hs7-hard-carrying-case-p-121.html

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #10,052 of 19,652
You posting that link just cost me $42. bah.

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #10,054 of 19,652
Jun 2, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #10,056 of 19,652
I have owned my X5 for about 7 weeks now and used it mainly with the line out and coax out for the first 3 weeks.

After reading in here that the HO SQ gets better, so for the last 4 weeks I have been mainly using HO.

I can now defiantly say that the whole SQ has improved and its a pleasure to listen to my E500's also my E5C's sound great as well.

Since using FW2.0 I have not had one crash or problem with playing and music up to 24bit/192kHz

My advise to any new person purchasing the X5 is to be patient and give it time, and you be rewarded with a bigger smile as time passes at this wonderful sounding DAP.

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #10,057 of 19,652
I've been reading this thread since I received my X5, and have learned a lot about the little piece of hardware that I purchased.

However, I seem to have led a sheltered life as I've never seen a 1/8" Coax before.  The name "coax" usually implies to me center-conductor surrounded by thick shielding - and I admit I'm thinking of 10Base2 Ethernet from decades ago. 

Seeing a 1/8" 2-conductor connector called "coax" is new to me too.

My concern is the two amps I'd like to try for USB digital-in have either a mini-usb "a" or a micro-usb "a" socket.  My question is does anyone know where I can obtain a 1/8" coax to either mini "b", or micro "b" cable, conforming to OTG?

Thanks,

Steve

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #10,058 of 19,652
I have owned my X5 for about 7 weeks now .....................................

My advise to any new person purchasing the X5 is to be patient and give it time, and you be rewarded with a bigger smile as time passes at this wonderful sounding DAP.

Hi,
Do you reckon, by your experience with using the x5, that the scroll wheel is actually flimsy as someone suggested here and won't last as long as, say, an ipod one?.....

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #10,059 of 19,652
Hi,
Do you reckon, by your experience with using the x5, that the scroll wheel is actually flimsy as someone suggested here and won't last as long as, say, an ipod one?.....

I think it could have been designed some what better and not so loose, I'm not sure about it lasting but keep my fingers crossed.

I would like the FW update to help with the rotation as I find the accuracy could do with improvement, what do you think?

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #10,060 of 19,652
I have owned iPods long enough to appreciate or not the speed of it compared to the X5. First the iPod is electromagnetically driven, not mechanically so you won't have to struggle with the wheel inertia like the one on the X5. So moving forward, stopping and reversing will be slower but it has a certain amount of acceleration so that helps the X5. To be honest I never thought the wheel is an hindrance. If you organize your directory and tag your library properly, I don't see the wheel being an issue. If the sq would not measure up, no faster wheel would cover for such a loss. It's not a touch interface but it's functional enough to make you forget about it. You get used to the interface fast enough that you find new tricks to speed things up.

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #10,061 of 19,652
I have owned iPods long enough to appreciate or not the speed of it compared to the X5. First the iPod is electromagnetically driven, not mechanically so you won't have to struggle with the wheel inertia like the one on the X5. So moving forward, stopping and reversing will be slower but it has a certain amount of acceleration so that helps the X5. To be honest I never thought the wheel is an hindrance. If you organize your directory and tag your library properly, I don't see the wheel being an issue. If the sq would not measure up, no faster wheel would cover for such a loss. It's not a touch interface but it's functional enough to make you forget about it. You get used to the interface fast enough that you find new tricks to speed things up.

I think it's okay but lags a little sometimes and this causes me to jump past where I want to go.

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #10,062 of 19,652
I agree, I tend to use the front buttons instead because the scroll seems backwards and sensitive to lag... haven't accustomed to it yet when I think on other electronics I would have by now.

I wish the volume buttons on the side "woke" the screen up too as I like adjusting the volume with the scroll and it only works when the screen is on.

How do you guys hold yours? I hold it like my smartphones, in my left, so the "back button" I believe would be better for me on the top left, not top right.

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #10,063 of 19,652
I think it's okay but lags a little sometimes and this causes me to jump past where I want to go.

Yeah I have done it a few times but I find myself listening to a whole album most of the time so it never bothers me.

I hold it like my iPhone from the left hand and use my right hand to operate the wheel and buttons. I like the fact that the main button is at the top right hand corner. I discovered a quick button function, if you click for a few seconds on that button you are either brought to the main menu or now playing depending on which one you are before starting the process. I use my left most finger to move the wheel, if I need to go to the bottom, I turn it very quickly.

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #10,065 of 19,652
I agree, I tend to use the front buttons instead because the scroll seems backwards and sensitive to lag... haven't accustomed to it yet when I think on other electronics I would have by now.

I wish the volume buttons on the side "woke" the screen up too as I like adjusting the volume with the scroll and it only works when the screen is on.

How do you guys hold yours? I hold it like my smartphones, in my left, so the "back button" I believe would be better for me on the top left, not top right.

I am left handed and hold it in my right, I find this to be ok but it would be great if in a FW update you could set the buttons to ones liking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back