The Fiio X5 Thread
May 26, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #9,796 of 19,652
  Some brief and, no doubt, premature impressions of the X5, which I've only had for two and a half days:

The X5 is a keeper!  

Mike

Thanks for this post. As an X5 "fence-sitter" this has probably been the most informative post I've seen since it was released (apologies to any I might have missed!). A lot of the "tour" reviews are very good, but there has been so much noise since then it's been difficult to get a balanced opinion. This is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to hear.

May 26, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #9,797 of 19,652

Interesting, is there any differences from the Japanese edition to the "normal" editions we are using?

Nothing much to my knowledge...except the wheel.

Also reposing this post

Originally Posted by KLJ1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quick question to the Fiios Reps: Do one of you know when the hs6 will be available to purchase in Japan?

May 26, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #9,798 of 19,652
I use this charger for both my X3 and X5.
Takes about 4 hours for a full charge.
Also available in amazon Europe.

I have this one. It seems to be smaller, has two charging ports (one is 2.1; perfect for the X5) and it's only a couple of (U.S.) dollars more:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-PCHUSB2R-Portable-Charger-Blackberry/dp/B004WK3U9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401115730&sr=8-1&keywords=rca+usb+charger

Edit: Looks like the black color version is much cheaper on Amazon right now; a good deal!

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Compac-iPad-Charger-PCHUSB3R/dp/B005MCXE22/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401115957&sr=8-2&keywords=rca+usb+charger

May 26, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #9,799 of 19,652
Hi Folks, 

I have an issue with my Fiio X5 that i'd like to get to your attention. Or maybe it's just a simple question : does the X5 (FW 2.0) supports 128gb microSD cards ? When i use 2X64Gb cards i have no issues filling them up with Flac and DSD and building the library, but when i use my Samsung 128Gb microSD (alone or with another 32 or 64gb card) i can't build the library, it stops after scanning a few folders and leaves me with a truncated library even if in browser mode i can see all the files and folders Have you experienced that as well ? I tried may different formating for the 128gb card (all based on FAT32) and had no success (the card itself was tested and has no errors). 
Any idea or similar experience?  

May 26, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #9,802 of 19,652
I have connected my X5 to a Bose Soundlink Mini & it sounds good until I turn up the volume..... The speaker then distorts. Would the E12 Mont Blanc give better amplification or could it be limit of speaker? Any suggestions?

May 26, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #9,803 of 19,652
  I have connected my X5 to a Bose Soundlink Mini & it sounds good until I turn up the volume..... The speaker then distorts. Would the E12 Mont Blanc give better amplification or could it be limit of speaker? Any suggestions?

Seems to be a classic case of clipping on the speaker. Most consumer grade electronics are unfortunately designed for Apple's iGears and doesn't take strong signal like those of X5 too well. Adding more amplification really won't do you any good (and very likely will make it worst) because the Mini already has an internal amp inside, which is probably the one that caused the problem. If you haven't done so - try using the headphone-out instead of line-out. Lower the headphone-out volume so you can get better balance between the X5 and the Mini.

May 26, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #9,804 of 19,652
  Hi Folks, 

I have an issue with my Fiio X5 that i'd like to get to your attention. Or maybe it's just a simple question : does the X5 (FW 2.0) supports 128gb microSD cards ? When i use 2X64Gb cards i have no issues filling them up with Flac and DSD and building the library, but when i use my Samsung 128Gb microSD (alone or with another 32 or 64gb card) i can't build the library, it stops after scanning a few folders and leaves me with a truncated library even if in browser mode i can see all the files and folders Have you experienced that as well ? I tried may different formating for the 128gb card (all based on FAT32) and had no success (the card itself was tested and has no errors). 

Yes, the X5 supports 128gb microSD cards.  Format them in the X5.  Most likely, whatever you are using to format them now is using exFAT, rather than FAT32.

May 26, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #9,806 of 19,652
  Hi Folks, 

How many files do you have? X5 can't index more than 5800 unfortunately.

May 26, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #9,807 of 19,652
  Thanks for this post. As an X5 "fence-sitter" this has probably been the most informative post I've seen since it was released (apologies to any I might have missed!). A lot of the "tour" reviews are very good, but there has been so much noise since then it's been difficult to get a balanced opinion. This is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to hear.

Thanks tjw321 (and musicheaven),

Here are some pics I've put together:

First, the lightweight rig:

The X5 fits inside the closed OPPO PM-1 case without putting any strain on the zipper, and there's plenty of room for the cable and microSD cards, beneath.

As I wrote earlier, I think there's going to be a few OPPO PM-2's plugged into the FiiO X5 when they're released, as the bass energy and warmth of the X5's Headphone Out makes the efficient PM-1 sound a lot like an LCD-2 rev.1 (when used with a more neutral DAC and an amp that's more powerful).

For more transparency, plus improved dynamics, with less bass energy but more control, insert a 15V-powered Meier Stepance...

Some Head-Fi members might be familiar with my earlier "Travel Rigs."  This is version 4.0 (below).  They keep getting better as I try different solutions and nobody is more surprised than me that the FiiO X5 has replaced my Sony PCM-M10 as my portable source - after three and a half years (and having returned a HiFiMan HM801 along the way, after trying it under their gracious 15-day trial).

The Meier Stepdance is making a reappearance from version 1.0 of my Travel Rig, as it works so well with the X5 and PM-1:

HPRC 2400F case. (The Touch is just shown here, for scale.)

The FiiO X5 is sitting on top of two battery packs...

The OPA1612-equipped Meier Audio Corda Stepdance receives a maximum permissible 15VDC from the Energizer XP8000 Li-Ion battery pack equipped with a Willy Cable WI15 inline voltage regulator. The external 15V supply voltage increases Stepdance output power to the headphones by 123.7%  vs. using a rechargeable 8.4V internal battery, and the OPA1612 datasheet shows that THD + Noise is as low as it gets when the supply voltage is at 15V.

In other words, the Stepdance is more than twice as powerful and more transparent when running on regulated 15VDC power.  Joy!  

The other battery pack is a 10,000 mAH Anker Pro that I will keep connected to the X5 as a source of 5VDC when carrying this Travel Rig.

I measured the setup time, from opening the case to ready for play, at just under three minutes.  Yes, it's a little inconvenient, but this rig really sounds nice - and just like hot dogs taste better at the ballpark, it's awfully nice to have quasi-desktop performance while camping, in a hotel room or cabin, or in a favorite place for listening outdoors - like my hammock on the deck at home.

biggrin.gif

Mike

May 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #9,808 of 19,652
Thanks tjw321 (and musicheaven),

Here are some pics I've put together:

First, the lightweight rig:

The X5 fits inside the closed OPPO PM-1 case without putting any strain on the zipper, and there's plenty of room for the cable and microSD cards, beneath.

As I wrote earlier, I think there's going to be a few OPPO PM-2's plugged into the FiiO X5 when they're released, as the bass energy and warmth of the X5's Headphone Out makes the efficient PM-1 sound a lot like an LCD-2 rev.1 (when used with a more neutral DAC and an amp that's more powerful).

For more transparency, plus improved dynamics, with less bass energy but more control, insert a 15V-powered Meier Stepance...

Some Head-Fi members might be familiar with my earlier "Travel Rigs."  This is version 4.0 (below).  They keep getting better as I try different solutions and nobody is more surprised than me that the FiiO X5 has replaced my Sony PCM-M10 as my portable source - after three and a half years (and having returned a HiFiMan HM801 along the way, after trying it under their gracious 15-day trial).

The Meier Stepdance is making a reappearance from version 1.0 of my Travel Rig, as it works so well with the X5 and PM-1:

HPRC 2400F case. (The Touch is just shown here, for scale.)

The FiiO X5 is sitting on top of two battery packs...

The OPA1612-equipped Meier Audio Corda Stepdance receives a maximum permissible 15VDC from the Energizer XP8000 Li-Ion battery pack equipped with a Willy Cable WI15 inline voltage regulator. The external 15V supply voltage increases Stepdance output power to the headphones by 123.7%  vs. using a rechargeable 8.4V internal battery, and the OPA1612 datasheet shows that THD + Noise is as low as it gets when the supply voltage is at 15V.

In other words, the Stepdance is more than twice as powerful and more transparent when running on regulated 15VDC power.  Joy!  

The other battery pack is a 10,000 mAH Anker Pro that I will keep connected to the X5 as a source of 5VDC when carrying this Travel Rig.

I measured the setup time, from opening the case to ready for play, at just under three minutes.  Yes, it's a little inconvenient, but this rig really sounds nice - and just like hot dogs taste better at the ballpark, it's awfully nice to have quasi-desktop performance while camping, in a hotel room or cabin, or in a favorite place for listening outdoors - like my hammock on the deck at home.

:D

Mike

Wholy moly, you are better equipped than Agent 007 :D

Wow what a transportable kit! And I thought I have seen it all.

I wished I would have not seen this, now I want that kit lol. Once I do, call me Jon Bond Agent 001. :ksc75smile:

I have to say this is the best kit I have seen so far. :gs1000smile:

May 26, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #9,809 of 19,652
Hello
Does somebody know whether it is necessary to format my SSD drive (480 GB) in fat 32 in order to connect it to the X5 via OTG ?
Thanks
Yes, but not all enclosures are made equally, so when formatted it still might come up with the dreaded 'no music found' error...

May 26, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #9,810 of 19,652
I did have one. I returned it. I'm not so sure they are on an even level of bugginess, and in any case, I was telling my thoughts to a person that obviously do not want to get himself in any more firmware troubles.

Cool. Just a lot of non-owners chime in, echoing complaints they've heard but haven't experienced.

My experience has been a few seemingly random freezes with the X5 - usually after it goes to sleep while charging. The X5 always, always, always skips the first two seconds of the first song every time I start it up.

The DX90 hasn't frozen on me yet, but I have had it skip the last two seconds of a song here and there.

I don't have any problems with either of them recognizing files and/or tags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back