The Fiio X5 Thread
May 14, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #9,271 of 19,652
Does someone here use the X5 paired with the DUNU DN-1000? I'm looking for an under $150 great performer IEMs. I'm mainly for a nicely balanced sound with some good (not too much bass). Even with EQ, I find my Phonaks audeo PFE 112 a bit too flat for my likes. Any suggestions? Thanks!

EDIT: What about the Shure SE315?

May 14, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #9,272 of 19,652
  Does someone here use the X5 paired with the DUNU DN-1000? I'm looking for an under $150 great performer IEMs. I'm mainly for a nicely balanced sound with some good (not too much bass). Even with EQ, I find my Phonaks audeo PFE 112 a bit too flat for my likes. Any suggestions? Thanks!

EDIT: What about the Shure SE315?

Balanced with some good bass - ATH-IM03 pairs up very nicely with X5.  Or if you are on a budget, for $300 less you can get SIDY DM2 for $60 from penonaudio.com :wink:

May 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #9,273 of 19,652

Balanced with some good bass - ATH-IM03 pairs up very nicely with X5.  Or if you are on a budget, for $300 less you can get SIDY DM2 for $60 from penonaudio.com :wink:

Thanks! I was really looking forward to the IM03 but price it too high for me..I have University fees to pay this week :\. How do the SIDY DM2 compares with the DN-1000?

By the way, is it you Vectron at XDA? Just read a review and i think I'm getting those, then i'll save up and buy the DUNUs while in China later this year, hopefully :)

May 14, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #9,274 of 19,652

Thanks! I was really looking forward to the IM03 but price it too high for me..I have University fees to pay this week :\. How do the SIDY DM2 compares with the DN-1000?

By the way, is it you Vectron at XDA? Just read a review and i think I'm getting those, then i'll save up and buy the DUNUs while in China later this year, hopefully :)

Yep, that's me.  Saw your post in there :wink:  I don't have DN1k, maybe mochill will chime-in since he got X5 and every IEM under the sun :D  But to be honest, I'm very satisfied with DM2.  Yes, their shape is a bit odd which makes them slipper toward the back due to slope, and strain relief is not the best, but to my ears they sound like a thinner (in terms of sound) scaled down version of IM03.  With red duct filter and included AT eartips, it pairs up beautifully with X5.

May 14, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #9,276 of 19,652
So I hooked up the X5 coaxial output to the Oppo HA-1 amp and surprise :eek:, the EQ works through the coaxial. Also, the HA-1 only ever displays 16bit as the music source with any file I play through the X5 (using my laptop as a source works perfectly). It could be 24bit/192kHz, 24bit/96kHz, 24bit/48kHz, whatever, it only ever displays 16bit using the X5's coaxial.

Based on this I can only conclude that the X5 is not working strictly as a transport through the coaxial output and is adding some processing to the mix, especially given that I can still use the EQ with 48kHz and lower songs. Worse yet would be if the X5 was down sampling my files.

I was led to believe that the EQ would have zero effect on the coaxial output and all processing would be bypassed. I understand that the file codecs (FLAC,ALAC,AAC) still need to be converted/read by the X5 but that should be all that it does and then pass on the bit for bit information to the external DAC.

To be honest my plan for the last few months has been to use the X5 as a transport for when the HA-1 was released. What a super convenient way to listen to high resolution music through a higher end DAC/amp without tripping over laptop cords in my living room. I don't like the fact that I'm not sure I'm using the "better" DAC in the HA-1 exclusively.

James / Joe / Fiio, any thoughts? Anyone else using the X5 as a transport?

EDIT: This was all because I was rolled back to an old FW BETA. Sorry.

May 15, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #9,279 of 19,652
So I hooked up the X5 coaxial output to the Oppo HA-1 amp and surprise
eek.gif
, the EQ works through the coaxial. Also, the HA-1 only ever displays 16bit as the music source with any file I play through the X5 (using my laptop as a source works perfectly). It could be 24bit/192kHz, 24bit/96kHz, 24bit/48kHz, whatever, it only ever displays 16bit using the X5's coaxial.

Based on this I can only conclude that the X5 is not working strictly as a transport through the coaxial output and is adding some processing to the mix, especially given that I can still use the EQ with 48kHz and lower songs. Worse yet would be if the X5 was down sampling my files.

I was led to believe that the EQ would have zero effect on the coaxial output and all processing would be bypassed. I understand that the file codecs (FLAC,ALAC,AAC) still need to be converted/read by the X5 but that should be all that it does and then pass on the bit for bit information to the external DAC.

To be honest my plan for the last few months has been to use the X5 as a transport for when the HA-1 was released. What a super convenient way to listen to high resolution music through a higher end DAC/amp without tripping over laptop cords in my living room. I don't like the fact that I'm not sure I'm using the "better" DAC in the HA-1 exclusively.

James / Joe / Fiio, any thoughts? Anyone else using the X5 as a transport?

Not sure what's happened here because I just tested the same and the Coax output was clearly outputting the native res of the file being played (see image showing 196k playback on my X-Sabre) and the EQ didn't have any impact.

May 15, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #9,281 of 19,652
Not sure what's happened here because I just tested the same and the Coax output was clearly outputting the native res of the file being played (see image showing 196k playback on my X-Sabre) and the EQ didn't have any impact.

The frequency shows correctly but the bit depth is always 16bit, even when playing 24bit. The EQ on the X5 has no effect on files above 48kHz so with 192kHz you wouldn't notice a difference, but with 48kHz and below it definitely works. I'm in the camp that the bit depth is more important than high frequency. Regardless, the X5 should simply pass the info on, not alter it with coaxial out.

EDIT: My bad

May 15, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #9,282 of 19,652

The frequency shows correctly but the bit depth is always 16bit, even when playing 24bit. The EQ on the X5 has no effect on files above 48kHz so with 192kHz you wouldn't notice a difference, but with 48kHz and below it definitely works. I'm in the camp that the bit depth is more important than high frequency. Regardless, the X5 should simply pass the info on, not alter it with coaxial out.

Apologies. I didn't read your post correctly (re bit depth vs sample rate). Also didn't think about EQ limitations to low res files. I should just stop typing now...
confused_face.gif

May 15, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #9,283 of 19,652
Apologies. I didn't read your post correctly (re bit depth vs sample rate). Also didn't think about EQ limitations to low res files. I should just stop typing now... :confused_face:

Thanks anyway. Appreciated.

May 15, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #9,284 of 19,652
I've noticed in the advertisement pictures of the x5 a picture of the product in front of a Mac Pro laptop with iTunes open and it looks to say media device in iTunes. Can you sync files from music library directly to the x5's cards via iTunes sync avoiding windows explorer ?

May 15, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #9,285 of 19,652
I've noticed in the advertisement pictures of the x5 a picture of the product in front of a Mac Pro laptop with iTunes open and it looks to say media device in iTunes. Can you sync files from music library directly to the x5's cards via iTunes sync avoiding windows explorer ?

No. But you can just highlight the files you want in iTunes and drag them to the folder of your choice to copy them. At least in OSX land you can, not sure about Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back