The Fiio X5 Thread
May 15, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #9,301 of 19,652
It might be possible that the HA-1 is at fault!, does it show correctly with a diffent input?

When I connect my X5 to my E17 I have no problems with 24bit

The HA-1 shows the correct info with 3 other laptops, a MacBook Pro, a MacBook Air, and a Windows laptop. I haven't tried another coaxial source with 24bit files.

From what I remember when I owned the e17 it always displayed the incoming source as 24bit. This is a known quirk (if I remember correctly).

The HA-1 is a very capable amp and it's coaxial, optical, and AES/EBU inputs can all accept 24bit PCM.

EDIT: Human error!

May 15, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #9,302 of 19,652
Relic, can you try connecting the X5 up to another device that accepts 24/96 digital input, such as a hi-fi receiver? 

Also, I've used the E17 to "check" sample rates via its optical input but have also seen it get fooled sometimes -- so it is best to double-check against another device that automatically switches sample rates/bit depths like a receiver.

Good idea. I'll see if another device can accept 24bit from the X5.

May 15, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #9,303 of 19,652
The HA-1 shows the correct info with 3 other laptops, a MacBook Pro, a MacBook Air, and a Windows laptop. I haven't tried another coaxial source with 24bit files.

From what I remember when I owned the e17 it always displayed the incoming source as 24bit. This is a known quirk (if I remember correctly).

The HA-1 is a very capable amp and it's coaxial, optical, and AES/EBU inputs can all accept 24bit PCM.

I don't even have an X5 so this is just a wild theory, but from what I've read, the eq doesn't work with high bitrate. Does the "Normal" display mean that the eq is off, or could it be on, and that is what is causing the down-sampling? I think you said earlier that the eq worked over coax? As I said, just a wild guess....

May 15, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #9,304 of 19,652
Relic, can you try connecting the X5 up to another device that accepts 24/96 digital input, such as a hi-fi receiver? 

Also, I've used the E17 to "check" sample rates via its optical input but have also seen it get fooled sometimes -- so it is best to double-check against another device that automatically switches sample rates/bit depths like a receiver.

just being nosey, what do you mean it gets fooled sometimes? as when I use the optical output on my MacBook Pro to the E17 the correct bit rate is shown every time.

May 15, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #9,305 of 19,652
I don't even have an X5 so this is just a wild theory, but from what I've read, the eq doesn't work with high bitrate. Does the "Normal" display mean that the eq is off, or could it be on, and that is what is causing the down-sampling? I think you said earlier that the eq worked over coax? As I said, just a wild guess....

The EQ works on anything at 48kHz and lower sample rate, 24bit files included.

Normal means off and is my preferred EQ for listening.

I'm ok with the EQ working over coaxial as my laptops also can use EQ through USB out. I don't really EQ my music too much but was making more if an observation and perhaps a tie in to something being processed on the X5 before the data was sent to a better DAC.

Thanks.

EDIT: Skip to post #9318

May 15, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #9,306 of 19,652
The EQ works on anything at 48kHz and lower sample rate, 24bit files included.

Normal means off and is my preferred EQ for listening.

I'm ok with the EQ working over coaxial as my laptops also can use EQ through USB out. I don't really EQ my music too much but was making more if an observation and perhaps a tie in to something being processed on the X5 before the data was sent to a better DAC.

Thanks.

I was momentarily outraged when you mentioned about the eq at first. Then I realised it's done digitally so you may as well have it in the loop since "neutral" really is off. Hardware eq you couldn't do that with (well, not without physical switches).

May 15, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #9,307 of 19,652
I was momentarily outraged when you mentioned about the eq at first. Then I realised it's done digitally so you may as well have it in the loop since "neutral" really is off. Hardware eq you couldn't do that with (well, not without physical switches).

No OFF label. Just NORMAL.

May 15, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #9,310 of 19,652
My Meenova OTG Micro SD reader pitched up today. works great and oh so much more 'fitting' than the SSD I was using...

Grab one before they all go :)

(As an aside, had to destroy the box to get it out, did anyone else with the Meenova get it out of the box cleanly??)

May 15, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #9,311 of 19,652
My Meenova OTG Micro SD reader pitched up today. works great and oh so much more 'fitting' than the SSD I was using...

Grab one before they all go
smily_headphones1.gif

(As an aside, had to destroy the box to get it out, did anyone else with the Meenova get it out of the box cleanly??)

I ordered & received a couple of them, but never did open the envelope because of other projects getting in the way.

Looks like I'll have to open them tonight out of curiosity.

May 15, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #9,312 of 19,652
Quote:
just being nosey, what do you mean it gets fooled sometimes? as when I use the optical output on my MacBook Pro to the E17 the correct bit rate is shown every time.

http://fiio.com.cn/support/detail.aspx?ID=100000034271112

I noticed that 44.1kHz wasn't showing up myself, but then there are also cases where the E17 display simply shows what the previous track's bit depth/sample rate is...

May 15, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #9,313 of 19,652
Hey guys, I just want to let you know that headfier flowlerlandfilms did an awesome job modding the firmware to do an "Aztechno" theme for the X5. The modded firmware is still in beta but he says that he's been using it for several hours without issues.

We also have other modded/stock firmwares over there for your convenience (sorry, no post-2.0 beta firmwares yet).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/717947/fiio-x5-custom-modded-firmwares

May 15, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #9,314 of 19,652
  I don't know about the X3, but I think it sounds about the same, in terms of non-coloration.

The X5 (and other good DAPs) make the music sound as it was supposed to sound. That's usually not a fun sound, full of bass and treble. The mastering quality presents naked in front of you, for better or for worse.

For me, neutral means flat and boring, my brain still hasn't catch up with the formidable change in the sound. Analogy: think of it as a salty, fatty burger vs a delicate, balanced, expensive sushi. I don't know if one is best than the other, but I can recognize the difference.

Sooner or later, I'll get used to the original, unmodified sound of the X5 with no EQ, and you may too.

Uh Oh, I'm a vegan. Should I still get the X5? lolz

May 15, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #9,315 of 19,652
Update for you guys:

Don't use a beta FW, and then complain about functionality in the forum. I forgot that I rolled back to FW1.23beta just to play around and pinpoint the sonic differences. Big fat giant DOH!

Reloaded FW 2.0 and everything is as expected. Sorry for that. :redface:

Going back to edit the other posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back