The Fiio X5 Thread
May 10, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #9,016 of 19,652
Are all SSD's born equal when it comes to power drain, or would you have to be careful what you put inside it?
Good question!

No, the bigger the drive (in GB), and the faster it is the more power hungry it is going to be...

Looking at the one I'm using, it is specced as:

Available capacities: 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB
Dimensions: 028 in. x 2.75 in. x 3.95 in. (7.0 mm x 69.85 mm x 100.5 mm)
Operating temperature: -32ºF to 158ºF (0ºC to 70 ºC)
Storage temperature: -67ºF to 203ºF (-55ºC to 85ºC)
Interface: SATA Revision 3.0 (6 Gbit/s)
Shock: Resistant up to 1500 G @ 0.5 m/sec
Vibration (Operating/Non-operating) : 5 gRMS, 10-2000 Hz / 4.9 gRMS, 7-800Hz
Power Consumption (active): 0.12w

Which, assuming is using full 5v, would - if i'm using ohms law correctly, be only 24mah - not including drive enclosure power drain, even so, if I'm right that is totally negligible when the X5 comes with a 3700mah battery :)

(Must say that does seem a little low, would hope someone cleverer than me can verify this!)

May 10, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #9,017 of 19,652
Good question!

No, the bigger the drive (in GB), and the faster it is the more power hungry it is going to be...

Looking at the one I'm using, it is specced as:

Available capacities: 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB
Dimensions: 028 in. x 2.75 in. x 3.95 in. (7.0 mm x 69.85 mm x 100.5 mm)
Operating temperature: -32ºF to 158ºF (0ºC to 70 ºC)
Storage temperature: -67ºF to 203ºF (-55ºC to 85ºC)
Interface: SATA Revision 3.0 (6 Gbit/s)
Shock: Resistant up to 1500 G @ 0.5 m/sec
Vibration (Operating/Non-operating) : 5 gRMS, 10-2000 Hz / 4.9 gRMS, 7-800Hz
Power Consumption (active): 0.12w

Which, assuming is using full 5v, would - if i'm using ohms law correctly, be only 24mah - not including drive enclosure power drain, even so, if I'm right that is totally negligible when the X5 comes with a 3700mah battery
smily_headphones1.gif

(Must say that does seem a little low, would hope someone cleverer than me can verify this!)

Lokks like yours is one of the better ones - just found this for comparison.
Active power drain is more likely to be around 250ma using your calculations as very few are rated below 1w average, This assumes that constant read = avg. consumption ???
Some field tests are required...

May 10, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #9,018 of 19,652
Hmm...

Looks like TH do more thorough tests than the manufacturers then :wink:

Mine is a Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, so - draw from that your own conclusions...

Hopefully somebody can tell us a worst case scenario (from the TH link above) hit on battery life, to see if this is actually worth doing or not on a regular basis (will definitely be a godsend for vacations!!)

May 10, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #9,021 of 19,652
after more listening. I really cannot stand 2.0 with my TF10. the lack of thump and midbass makes listening so "sterile", clean and fatiguing . going back to 1.23 or 1.27 gives back some of the thump..makes the music slightly fuller. Things take a huge turn when using line out on either 2.0/1.27/1.23 with a O2 amp and the entire lower spectrum is lifted up and makes it instantly more engaging. Am I the only one who cant stand X5 's own internal amp on fw 2.0? 

May 10, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #9,022 of 19,652
  after more listening. I really cannot stand 2.0 with my TF10. the lack of thump and midbass makes listening so "sterile", clean and fatiguing . going back to 1.23 or 1.27 gives back some of the thump..makes the music slightly fuller. Things take a huge turn when using line out on either 2.0/1.27/1.23 with a O2 amp and the entire lower spectrum is lifted up and makes it instantly more engaging. Am I the only one who cant stand X5 's own internal amp on fw 2.0? 

Using TF10 with X5 2.0 too, and I have to agree with you here. Upgraded to 2.0 a lot of times but always end up switching back to 1.23. 1.23 just have better 'kick' to me.

Just curious, what volume level and gain do you set on your X5 when listening with the TF10?

Also, does anyone know if the sound of the line-out changes from firmware to firmware? Or is it just the sound of the headphone out that changes?

May 10, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #9,023 of 19,652
I am using low gain . volume 50 - 65 on TF10. as far as I can hear. the line out feels the same from 1.23 to 1.27 to 2.0. its the headphone out thats different on 2.0

May 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #9,024 of 19,652
Have had the X5 for a couple of weeks. Having been converting CD's to FLAC. My ITunes purchases and ALAC's sound great (with some loss of art).

Went to B&H (if you haven't gone, it's like a Crack House for electronics geeks) to pick up a camera bag for my son. Thought I would pick up the E12, because of positive posts here.

A/B'd it with/out E12 through Kef M200's (12 Ohms) and M500's (32 Ohms). Listened to Sinatra, the Who, Coltrane and Miles, Paul Simon, Bruce Hornsby, Boz Scaggs, Chieftains, david Bowie, Steve Winwood, Mozart, Bach, Neil Young, Springsteen, Brubeck, etc., etc., etc.

Conclusion: Couldn't tell the difference. I know people suggested for higher impedance headphones, but I don't have them.

Lest some think I have unsophisticated ears, I am a long time guitarist, drummer, electric bass player. Tone obsessed. Have like 7 Zildjian ride cymbals (trying to find the holy grail - for me, the ride on Brubeck's Time Out).

So if you don't have high impedence headphones, try an E12 with your X5 before you buy.

If you are interested in a good deal on a very slightly used E12, let me know  :)

May 10, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #9,025 of 19,652
Hmm, was testing yesterday T5p and noticed more sub-bass driving it from my Note 2 versus X5.  Now, after reading a few last posts in here, I downgraded back to 1.2 from 2.0, and do see some subtle sound changes, more toward warm and a little more bass quantity.  Sticking to FW1.2 for now.

May 10, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #9,026 of 19,652
  Have had the X5 for a couple of weeks. Having been converting CD's to FLAC. My ITunes purchases and ALAC's sound great (with some loss of art).

Went to B&H (if you haven't gone, it's like a Crack House for electronics geeks) to pick up a camera bag for my son. Thought I would pick up the E12, because of positive posts here.

A/B'd it with/out E12 through Kef M200's (12 Ohms) and M500's (32 Ohms). Listened to Sinatra, the Who, Coltrane and Miles, Paul Simon, Bruce Hornsby, Boz Scaggs, Chieftains, david Bowie, Steve Winwood, Mozart, Bach, Neil Young, Springsteen, Brubeck, etc., etc., etc.

Conclusion: Couldn't tell the difference. I know people suggested for higher impedance headphones, but I don't have them.

Lest some think I have unsophisticated ears, I am a long time guitarist, drummer, electric bass player. Tone obsessed. Have like 7 Zildjian ride cymbals (trying to find the holy grail - for me, the ride on Brubeck's Time Out).

So if you don't have high impedence headphones, try an E12 with your X5 before you buy.

If you are interested in a good deal on a very slightly used E12, let me know  :)

sent you a pm :)

May 10, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #9,027 of 19,652

i got myself a e12DIY(stock), tbh the sound wasnt much of a diff with my asg-2...but then i got my HS6 hmm sound was better wider soundstage and more clarity and then i got one of these bad boys, 
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.28.ev3KFL&id=17010159881&ad_id=&am_id=&cm_id=140105335569ed55e27b&pm_id=

damn.... they made my e12diy worth every penny i paid for :) so give it a second try with a better cable u might love it :)

P.S: forgive my bad linking of links kinda bad at it lol

May 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #9,028 of 19,652
  i got myself a e12DIY(stock), tbh the sound wasnt much of a diff with my asg-2...but then i got my HS6 hmm sound was better wider soundstage and more clarity and then i got one of these bad boys, 
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.28.ev3KFL&id=17010159881&ad_id=&am_id=&cm_id=140105335569ed55e27b&pm_id=

damn.... they made my e12diy worth every penny i paid for :) so give it a second try with a better cable u might love it :)

P.S: forgive my bad linking of links kinda bad at it lol

Thanks for the feedback. I have been very skeptical of connection cables having a large impact on sound quality. Particularly when traveling such a short distance. The size of the wires inside the device are tiny. the old adage that a  chain is only as strong as weakest link adage makes me think that the small wires/circuit boards have limitation that a heavier gauge connector can't possibly improve. I've never heard a difference between high quality guitar cables and the ultra expensive ones. I may be speaking heresy, and I mean no disrespect, but I just never have heard it.

May 10, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #9,029 of 19,652
I think a big part if it is how revealing your gear is. I very much notice the difference from plugging in my silver cable to my AK120-S mod vs a standard  copper wire. The differences are rather apparent to my ears and not what I'd call very minor. It can be enough where I will not like the sound even...

May 10, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #9,030 of 19,652

Thanks for the feedback. I have been very skeptical of connection cables having a large impact on sound quality. Particularly when traveling such a short distance. The size of the wires inside the device are tiny. the old adage that a  chain is only as strong as weakest link adage makes me think that the small wires/circuit boards have limitation that a heavier gauge connector can't possibly improve. I've never heard a difference between high quality guitar cables and the ultra expensive ones. I may be speaking heresy, and I mean no disrespect, but I just never have heard it.

well...i heard the same theory from a elect. engineer, but he told me he did not believe in the cables affecting the sound at first, but he was proven wrong later. :p so best way is to try it out 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back