The Fiio X5 Thread
May 9, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #9,001 of 19,652
I've had my X5 for almost a month now and love it paired with my Shure SE846s. I also follow this thread religiously.

Until recently, I've used low gain with the volume between 75 and 95. Everything I read said low gain was better with these IEMs. But there were a few posts where people were running at volume levels much lower. So I wondered if the amp of my X5 is okay?

As a point of reference I ran my X3 on low gain at around 30.

I just switched to high gain for the first time and now run at volumes between 65 and 75. More importantly, everything about the sound is significantly better, which according to "experts" isn't supposed to happen.

So the question is, especially for those using SE846s, is this normal or is it an issue to address with FIIO?

I have kind of an issue with the volume, depending on what headphone I use. Have the X5 set at high gain, and with iem UMX3 @56Ohm I'm between 33 - 38 and is high enough. Now with the Sony's MDRV6 @63Ohm is another story as with Grados RS1i I Do have to go up to 60-80 or more to get the same volume effect. So I don't know if related to the X5 or the Headphones or the combination... But there is something going on. Off course iem are more sensitive.

May 9, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #9,002 of 19,652
Fiio in the car, Love my X5 must say it has exceeded my expectations. I connected it up to my car via the line out it does sound a little hollow. I bought a cheap dac for €60. The way its connected is as follows.From the cars usb to dac then cars aux via phono cable to dac and then coax from x5 to dac. Plays great and DSD files are sweet . There is a little to much brightness for my liking though. So as this was initially an experiment i am now ready to invest in something better my bugdet is €200/300 max any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Doesnt need to be new necessarily so guys if your selling and used gear i may have an interest.

May 9, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #9,003 of 19,652
Just ordered with a 64gb card. Should be arriving Sunday :smiley:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

May 9, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #9,004 of 19,652
After several weeks of research, analysis and planning, I bought a FiiO X5 via MP4Nation late last month and, since then, I have been suffering aggravated angst. ie Will it turn up. Will it suffer at the hands of confused consignment / customs / courier collectives. Will it be undamaged. And, rather more importantly, will it work. 

Having read absolutely everything I could find on the X5 and its competitors, I had developed SPPPDA (Severe Post Purchase Pre Delivery Anxiety) and was almost dreading the pesky machine actually turning up.

Concerns about basic operation, suspect sound quality, ease of use, UI, UI updates, UI failures, UI friends, UI foes etc all burned at my inner audiophile karma. Hundreds of headfi (and other) posts about competitive category carnage only fuelled my anxiety... The dac is great but the amp is anal. The amp is ample but the dac is delinquent. The amp and dac are great when they work. It's a great DAP but better with a different dac / amp / other stack. Earns a solid four stars when connected to $10 000 worth of other stuff. The gear is fine but the UI is traumatising. The battery only lasts between the bedroom and bathroom - en suite. Only works with the very headphones you chose not to buy last month. The supplied cables worked last year but only in a zero gravity environment. I should have ordered it with the pink silicone case because the vibes are better. I really should have briefed a dentist to give me better gapless playback I should have planned to roll the op amps in flavoured flour first.

And my personal favourite: if it worked, it would be great.

I'm sure many of you get this picture.

To my so far enduring surprise, my X5 arrived via Fedex today, four days ahead of updated schedule. And that's from HK to the lumpiest, grumpiest end of the Scottish Highlands, just beyond the middle of northern nowhere. Great job MP4Nation.  

Unbox reveals everything as it should be. And looking fabulous.

So. Delivery plus six hours. X5 fully charged, Latest UI - 2.0 - installed and operational. 64gb Sandisk micro sd card loaded with Linn 192 Studio Master tracks and inserted into card slot one. Some qualitative player selections > volume, eq, library etc. 

And...heartbeat substantially elevated...I press play. Then, something I never expected to type with any kind of pleasure > the sound of music. Gorgeous music. A squillion miles better than CD quality output via my previous Macbook Pro /  RAZRi / FiiO E7. And this is one minute into 'burn in".

At this stage, I am experiencing equal measures of joy and relief. Meanwhile, Mahler 6 is just audible from burn in land beneath my bed.

Recap: Unwrap. Charge. Load. Play.

That's it. 

Magic.

This was well written and entertaining. You should write for a living if you don't already.
Thank you for your impressions.

May 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #9,005 of 19,652

This was well written and entertaining. You should write for a living if you don't already.
Thank you for your impressions.

And the irony of it all I am exactly in that same dark place he was awaiting arrival of mine....4 more days and already hate my purchase

May 9, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #9,006 of 19,652
Originally Posted by reihead 

About the MicroSD Card Reader, I can confirm this one work perfectly http://www.meenova.com/
Not sure about previous firmware versions, but with FW 2.0 works.

Hey reihead...  just got mine in the mail...  works great...  Fiio should just include one of these in the box... 

May 9, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #9,007 of 19,652
I ordered my new X5 Tuesday and received it Thursday.  After an overnight charge I tried it out with everything from standard CD to 24/192 tracks.  To say I am impressed with the sound would be an understatement.  Amazingly good to these 71 year old ears.  A confession is in order though.  I am pretty much new to headphones simply because I haven't used them much in the last 5-7 years and everything but everything has changed so this is no expert comment.  I used Shure SE535, Senn RS220 wireless, and the Bose QC-15s I travel with.  It didn't make any difference, the X5 made them all sound like they were worth hundreds of dollars more.  I've read a lot here about house sound, warmth, dryness, etc etc.  To this amateur the X5 sound is clear, crisp, neutral and balanced.  Nothing lacking, nothing stands out to call attention to itself--just music; ok, maybe one, the bass control and impact is impressive. The music just comes to life.  Binaural Hi-Rez tracks are unreal on the X5. Maybe I'm easy to please but what I'm hearing is a big improvement on iPod and iPhone 5 even though I think these are quite acceptable.  There are those that say the more you pay the better you think the equipment is but I don't think that's what's going on here.  

Although I have no trouble with the wheel, and I think the OS is very intuitive, I do find the screen hard to read.  The print it too small for me.  But I make it work.

The biggest problem I have encountered is interfacing the X5 in my car (2014 Audi A6).  It sounds as good as the so-called "Premium" Bose system ever sounds when I use X5 headphone out to the Audi stereo analog in-put.  Not bad at all but of course I can't control the X5 on the MMI screen like I can an i-device.  It would be great if there were a way to connect the X5 OTG to the digital input -- a 30 pin iPod connector -- so that at least I could see folders and songs the same as I do when I insert an SD chip.  Audi makes a USB input, and a microUSB input but as I understand it the OTG USB on the X5 will not work with those.  If I'm wrong please tell me.  Is there any way to get data out of the OTB charging-synch port onto a 30-pin iPod connector?  

I'm glad to be a member of the X5 club.  So far I am pleased.  If it improves with burn-in I'll be more pleased.  Let me know if you know how to interface the X5.

May 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #9,009 of 19,652
I've got to say that I'm pleased with the combo of the X5 and my UE900's pure and simple.  All FLAC of varying sample rates and bit-depths.  I guess all I seek now is a belt-holster, ala Seidio or similar. Anyone seen anything available yet?

May 10, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #9,010 of 19,652
  Originally Posted by reihead 

About the MicroSD Card Reader, I can confirm this one work perfectly http://www.meenova.com/
Not sure about previous firmware versions, but with FW 2.0 works.

Hey reihead...  just got mine in the mail...  works great...  Fiio should just include one of these in the box... 

Does it fit with the silicone case on?

May 10, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #9,012 of 19,652

Having read absolutely everything I could find on the X5 and its competitors, I had developed SPPPDA (Severe Post Purchase Pre Delivery Anxiety) and was almost dreading the pesky machine actually turning up.

Recap: Unwrap. Charge. Load. Play.

That's it. 

Magic.

Magic!

I enjoyed reading your story. Haha. And I learned a new medical term (SPPPDA)
wink.gif

X5 gets most things right, most of the time for most people.

Even with all the quirkiness, the sound quality alone is worth the small trouble from the UI.

The sound = magic.

May 10, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #9,014 of 19,652
Potentially awesome news for those with large libraries...

I can confirm that this SSD enclosure DOES work as a viewable OTG device on the X5...

Makes my SSD I bought worthwhile - 240GB of music potential :)

May 10, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #9,015 of 19,652
Potentially awesome news for those with large libraries...

I can confirm that this SSD enclosure DOES work as a viewable OTG device on the X5...

Makes my SSD I bought worthwhile - 240GB of music potential :)

Are all SSD's born equal when it comes to power drain, or would you have to be careful what you put inside it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back