The Fiio X5 Thread
May 9, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #8,987 of 19,652
Thinking of picking up on of these to replace my old iPhone 4 as portable music player.

I will mainly be playing 320kps lame encoded mp3 files and listening on Westone 4R and Vmoda m100. Will I notice a significant improvement in sound?

Also trying to decide on which sd cards to pick up. Thinking either 2 x 64gb Sandisk SDXC or 1 x 128gb Kingston sdxc. Anyone aware of any known compatibility issues with certain cards?

Thanks

May 9, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #8,988 of 19,652
Thinking of picking up on of these to replace my old iPhone 4 as portable music player.

I will mainly be playing 320kps lame encoded mp3 files and listening on Westone 4R and Vmoda m100. Will I notice a significant improvement in sound?

Also trying to decide on which sd cards to pick up. Thinking either 2 x 64gb Sandisk SDXC or 1 x 128gb Kingston sdxc. Anyone aware of any known compatibility issues with certain cards?

Thanks

None of those cards will fit!  Must be Transflash/MicroSD. I have Westone 40s, big big difference from my 4S.

May 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #8,989 of 19,652
Just had my first "crash" on the X5, basically after skipping a track the player stop playing the music, the UI was responsive but no sound even after picking a new song from another album. Can't give more details, I will try to replicate.

On the battery indicator issues, after I got the low battery warning on the screen (I have been lucky to catch it while I'm using the player) yesterday it gave me 14 minutes of playback and today 18 minutes. On both occasion playing FLAC files (16 bit and 24 bit). I think the battery indicator need some work and be more accurate, with two bars left on the battery indicator I would expect more than aprox 15 minutes of playback time, specially when it takes aprox 120 min of playback time to use the first bar when the battery is full.

May 9, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #8,990 of 19,652

Thanks

Yes, you will notice a much better and detailed sound. However, if you are fond of heavily equalized sound and/or sound enhancements that are easily attainable via software players, you may feel that the sound is anemic. Very detailed, but not fun, not punchy. Being an audiophile means letting go of artificially enhanced sound, and that is hard to overcome at first. 

The X5 only uses micro SD cards. Best deal on them right now are the Sandisk 64GB at about 40 bucks. I've tried SanDisk, Kingston and Transcend, all worked flawlessly on the X5.

Coming from an iPhone, you most likely feel the UI to be cumbersome, a bit immature and not so intuitive. But if it's sound quality you are after, that's a small price to pay. And, I'm sure Fiio is working hard to update and improve the firmware ASAP.

Buy it, you won't regret it.

May 9, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #8,992 of 19,652
I just ordered a Fiio X5 to go along with a pair of JVC FX-850's I ordered as well. I was on the fence about whether or not to spend the extra money to get the X5 over the X3 but the reviews and impressions in this thread make it seems like a "yes". Looking forward to trying the X5 out hopefully sometime next week when it arrives. 

May 9, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #8,993 of 19,652
Quote:Originally Posted by Dizzle77 Yes, you will notice a much better and detailed sound. However, if you are fond of heavily equalized sound and/or sound enhancements that are easily attainable via software players, you may feel that the sound is anemic. Very detailed, but not fun, not punchy. Being an audiophile means letting go of artificially enhanced sound, and that is hard to overcome at first. The X5 only uses micro SD cards. Best deal on them right now are the Sandisk 64GB at about 40 bucks. I've tried SanDisk, Kingston and Transcend, all worked flawlessly on the X5.Coming from an iPhone, you most likely feel the UI to be cumbersome, a bit immature and not so intuitive. But if it's sound quality you are after, that's a small price to pay. And, I'm sure Fiio is working hard to update and improve the firmware ASAP.Buy it, you won't regret it.

Cheers for the info. I don't tend to use any EQ on my devices. Prefer a more natural sound.

Just trying to decide whether to go for the 1 x 128gb Kingston or 2 x Sandisks. The 128gb Kingston works out slightly cheaper.

Edit: forget that. Just realised the Kingston I'm looking at is not micro sd. Doh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

May 9, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #8,994 of 19,652
Cheers for the info. I don't tend to use any EQ on my devices. Prefer a more natural sound.

Just trying to decide whether to go for the 1 x 128gb Kingston or 2 x Sandisks. The 128gb Kingston works out slightly cheaper.

Edit: forget that. Just realised the Kingston I'm looking at is not micro sd. Doh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Unless you have a lot of music, 2x64GB is the best possible deal right now. You can have several, and use them to have different types of music on each.

May 9, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #8,995 of 19,652
Will any Mini MicroSD Card Reader for Android work on x5 and what firmware version do you require on x5 for OTG?
Will adding e12 to the mix help power my dt990 250 ohms cans a bit better or alot better?
if so I,ll be selling my ipod e17 combo I was using and buy one
beyersmile.png

May 9, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #8,996 of 19,652

Will adding e12 to the mix help power my dt990 250 ohms cans a bit better or alot better?
beyersmile.png

Yes, the E12 makes the 990s sound a lot better than directly from the X5 headphones out. I wouldn't use the 990 or any other 250+ ohms headphone with the X5 alone.
The E12 is way better than the E17, BTW.

May 9, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #8,997 of 19,652
  Will any Mini MicroSD Card Reader for Android work on x5 and what firmware version do you require on x5 for OTG?
beyersmile.png

About the MicroSD Card Reader, I can confirm this one work perfectly http://www.meenova.com/
Not sure about previous firmware versions, but with FW 2.0 works.

May 9, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #8,998 of 19,652
After several weeks of research, analysis and planning, I bought a FiiO X5 via MP4Nation late last month and, since then, I have been suffering aggravated angst. ie Will it turn up. Will it suffer at the hands of confused consignment / customs / courier collectives. Will it be undamaged. And, rather more importantly, will it work. 

Having read absolutely everything I could find on the X5 and its competitors, I had developed SPPPDA (Severe Post Purchase Pre Delivery Anxiety) and was almost dreading the pesky machine actually turning up.

Concerns about basic operation, suspect sound quality, ease of use, UI, UI updates, UI failures, UI friends, UI foes etc all burned at my inner audiophile karma. Hundreds of headfi (and other) posts about competitive category carnage only fuelled my anxiety... The dac is great but the amp is anal. The amp is ample but the dac is delinquent. The amp and dac are great when they work. It's a great DAP but better with a different dac / amp / other stack. Earns a solid four stars when connected to $10 000 worth of other stuff. The gear is fine but the UI is traumatising. The battery only lasts between the bedroom and bathroom - en suite. Only works with the very headphones you chose not to buy last month. The supplied cables worked last year but only in a zero gravity environment. I should have ordered it with the pink silicone case because the vibes are better. I really should have briefed a dentist to give me better gapless playback I should have planned to roll the op amps in flavoured flour first.

And my personal favourite: if it worked, it would be great.

I'm sure many of you get this picture.

To my so far enduring surprise, my X5 arrived via Fedex today, four days ahead of updated schedule. And that's from HK to the lumpiest, grumpiest end of the Scottish Highlands, just beyond the middle of northern nowhere. Great job MP4Nation.  

Unbox reveals everything as it should be. And looking fabulous.

So. Delivery plus six hours. X5 fully charged, Latest UI - 2.0 - installed and operational. 64gb Sandisk micro sd card loaded with Linn 192 Studio Master tracks and inserted into card slot one. Some qualitative player selections > volume, eq, library etc. 

And...heartbeat substantially elevated...I press play. Then, something I never expected to type with any kind of pleasure > the sound of music. Gorgeous music. A squillion miles better than CD quality output via my previous Macbook Pro /  RAZRi / FiiO E7. And this is one minute into 'burn in".

At this stage, I am experiencing equal measures of joy and relief. Meanwhile, Mahler 6 is just audible from burn in land beneath my bed.

Recap: Unwrap. Charge. Load. Play.

That's it. 

Magic.

May 9, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #8,999 of 19,652
I don't believe I've listened to more music in one week than I have in the past week with the X5/E12 - put me off of catching up on my Star Trek collection on my commute in / out of work (making my Surface Pro temporarily redundant!), and even at home, cable is suffering at the expense of glorious sound...

Damn you FiiO! :wink:

May 9, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #9,000 of 19,652

About the MicroSD Card Reader, I can confirm this one work perfectly http://www.meenova.com/
Not sure about previous firmware versions, but with FW 2.0 works.

Yes, the E12 makes the 990s sound a lot better than directly from the X5 headphones out. I wouldn't use the 990 or any other 250+ ohms headphone with the X5 alone.
The E12 is way better than the E17, BTW.

Thanks guys thats done deal on the e12 and MicroSD Card Reader then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back