The Fiio X5 Thread
May 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #8,822 of 19,652
Couldn't you support iPhone direct connect as a DAC?

From Fiio's FAQ (for the E17, but applies to all their products):
1, None of our DAC can work as extra DAC with iPod/iPhone.

2, We have not plan to develop DAC for iPod/iPhone because we need to get the licence from Apple first, but we have not idea when we can get it.

3,Some portable DACs can work as extra DAC with iPod/iPhone, includes Fostex HP-P1, Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo.

4, How the extra DAC work with iPod/iPhone? The extra DAC will bypass the build in DAC of  iPod/iPhone, and use the digital audio signal which sent through the 3opin dock connector, and them convert to analog signal with better DAC chip.

As for all the responses concerned with tagging:  I'll probably collect my X5 today from the delivery centre (couldn't stay in to receive the Signed For parcel, darn it), but if it's just a track name <> filename error, I could live with it, but I'll have to request it be fixed.  Anyone with a Bugzilla account know if this use of filename instead of track name is already a registered bug?

As for the sarcasm: *shrug* I don't consider it unreasonable not to want to read 8000 posts prior to getting involved in the conversation on this thread.  But I have performed thread searches prior to some of my posts to make sure I wasn't asking something already answered, and I think that's reasonable enough :)

May 7, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #8,823 of 19,652
  Has anyone tried the X5 with Bowers & Wilkins P7 headphones? I'm wondering how good a pairing that would be.
I'm very impressed by the way these obviously quality-built phones are able to collapse into a very portable condition, while supplying what I have read to be very quality sound and excellent build quality. I am thinking of getting a pair of these after I get my X5 in about a month, so I'd appreciate if anybody here has experience with the phones or the pairing with the X5.
Just as a reminder for those who don't know, I'm quite partial to classical symphony music, though not exclusively.

I run that combination and am very satisfied. I listen mostly to rock, but in the end to nearly everything as rap, classic, acapella. Can only recommend this combination. Stunning overall as portable combination, reason i bought both.

May 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #8,824 of 19,652
For any that are interested, I have added the more attractive spinning LP 'album art missing' placeholder to CH23's fantastic "bottom scrollwheel mod" which he posted above.

This time, I have Photoshopped the placeholder to be darker and have a hue that suits the X5 theme better.

Here is the link to Firmware 2.0 with CH23's bottom scrollwheel mod and the above album art missing placeholder:

http://1drv.ms/RnojYF

Fantastic, the placeholder looks much nicer now.

Many thanks to you.

May 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #8,826 of 19,652
Yes. 2.0 version is available on Fiios website. Or the cool mod versions abailAble above

May 7, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #8,827 of 19,652

Working on a little something here. Nearly done...

Great job on putting that together. Cant' wait to try it out.

Would you be able to let us know which files you made changes in? I can diff the files myself to see what changes you made.

Thanks.

May 7, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #8,828 of 19,652
  Does anyone know if there's a way to use the OTG function on the X5 to, say, access a flash drive while at the same time charging the X5? I've seen a very few cables that purport to allow this for certain Sony & Samsung models but I haven't seen anything for just a generic micro-USB port. The reason I'm asking is that I like to play my X5 overnight and would like to be able to hook up a flash drive, but that consumes more power (especially if I play 24 bit FLAC files...) & I can't charge the X5 with a flash drive in the micro USB slot. Any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47YP7IQVKLU

you can use this power bank, it gives charge to your X5 (or mobile), and it has OTG redirected to the power bank (see the video at 2:56)

May 7, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #8,829 of 19,652
Hi, HarryHardcase
Thank you for your quotation from FAQ!

I understood current supports. Thanks.

I don't know how difficult supporting iOS however some DACs got license from Apple.
Especially TEAC HA-P50 can connect to iPhone5 without CCK.

if X5 get the function, It's fantastic!

May 7, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #8,831 of 19,652

I don't know how difficult supporting iOS however some DACs got license from Apple.

Don't expect FiiO to get any Apple license anytime soon. They already applied for it a few years ago and get no response so far.

May 7, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #8,832 of 19,652
Hi, HarryHardcase

I understood current supports. Thanks.

An authentification chip has to be built in to the device so it's never going to happen on X5 unfortunately. Apple has ignored all of Fiio's requests to sign up for MFI certification based on a post I saw from James@Fiio a while back.

But it's very interesting how cheap the HA-P50 is. When I was in the market for an idevice DAC/Amp 4 months ago they were all $500+ with some reaching $799 (my T720) under the excuse that they pay a lot for Apple MFI certification to use their authentification chips in order to pull digital out via lightning cable. So the HA-P50 is really throwing sticks in their spokes by undercutting by so much. Competition is great for the consumer :wink:

May 7, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #8,833 of 19,652
Don't expect FiiO to get any Apple license anytime soon. They already applied for it a few years ago and get no response so far.

Really?
FiiO is bigger company than TEAC on High Res Audio, I think. If they ask Apple on a correct way, it's not so difficult. is it?

Anyway I ordered X5 already so I will just talk about my wish here.

Thank you for your advice ClieOS!

May 7, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #8,834 of 19,652
Really?
FiiO is bigger company than TEAC on High Res Audio, I think. If they ask Apple on a correct way, it's not so difficult.

Anyway I ordered X5 already so I will just talk about my wish here.

Thank you for your advice ClieOS!

Apple is (or was) quite hesitant towards giving licenses to chinese companies, because, as we know, a lot of copying happens in china.

Great job on putting that together. Cant' wait to try it out.

Would you be able to let us know which files you made changes in? I can diff the files myself to see what changes you made.

Thanks.

I will post this info ASAP, it seems my laptop has no operating system anymore, so i can't access my remote computer(which has the files, i have lost nothing at all)

May 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #8,835 of 19,652
  I run that combination and am very satisfied. I listen mostly to rock, but in the end to nearly everything as rap, classic, acapella. Can only recommend this combination. Stunning overall as portable combination, reason i bought both.

Thanks Slame. It is good that I found someone who has the same combination of components that I am intending to obtain, pending investigation. You have helped to let me know that the X5 and P7 could be a fantastic match. Evidently different people have different frequency sensitivities and so I am open to find out if mine are akin to yours. I want it to be so, lol, b/c the phones are so attractive and collapsible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back