The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 27, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #7,756 of 19,652
Thanks for the info. Why would OSX leave "hidden files" behind? What hidden files? More research required I think.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #7,759 of 19,652
Support for spotlight, the trashcan, and "resource forks" - extra meta data that not all filing systems can cope with natively.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #7,760 of 19,652
  After having the X5 for a few days now - I am still getting used to all the oddities and niceties. It still impresses so far . . .

One annoying topic is the folder view navigation:

Due to the known media file size limit of 5800 titles (I have close 7000) - I use mostly folder view to navigate my music.   What is most frustrating on the X5 is when I am listening to a certain song in a folder- turn the device off, and next time I turn it back on - it shows "Now Playing" option in the menu - when I click "ok" -I am now in the media library at the beginning - and i have to back out and open folder view again and navigate from root to the correct folder.
There should be an option under settings to default to "folder view" or "Media Library" view on startup - even better, to remember last song played (from either view) on startup.

Vote for bug 101 if you agree:  https://app.devzing.com/FiiO/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=101

Thx,
R.Fox

I completely agree; this is a major annoyance with the X5.  It also seems like a big waste of system memory/resources to have a default background display of every song in every folder when it is not being used.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #7,762 of 19,652
OSX always leaves hidden files on the CF card or USB sticks I put music on, for my vehicles.

They become visible when I view them on my PCs.

In that case, I should add music using my PC for the X5 (when I get it).

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #7,763 of 19,652
I wanted to test both the Fiio X5 and the E17 as a USB DAC with the Note 3 (latest firmware - 4.4.2)

X5 running v 1.23Beta firmware.

Unfortunately, the E17 works, the X5 doesn't - it tries to start as USB DAC - but keeps flipping back and forth between DAC and player - especially when playing a song.  The X5 shows it is in DAC mode - then I try and start a song on the Note 3 - I hear a second or two - then the player stops - and the X5 toggles away from DAC mode.  On the E17 - works beautifully (major improvement on stock Note 3 sound).

Anyone else see this issue before I file a bug??

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #7,764 of 19,652
Please, somebody explain to me why the X5 is being characterized as slightly underpowered in the amplifier section. And why people are saying and E12 is a significant improvement. Looking at the specs, I see that the E12 puts out 880 mW at 32 ohms, and the X5 puts out 750 mW. That is not a significant difference. Why is there reported to be a significant difference in ability to drive headphones? Is this real or is this hype?

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #7,765 of 19,652
Probably because the line out is superior to the headphone out on the X5

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #7,766 of 19,652
I have added to the bug list for the x5 the following (Bugzilla)

https://app.devzing.com/FiiO/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_id=102%2C39%2C63%2C84&list_id=1956

selecting the artist category should allow all tracks to be chosen as well as individual albums

Code:
 I would like to be able to select an artist and then play all the available tracks as opposed to individual albums which i also want - so i have a choice of playing all the tracks or selecting one album from the list. Hope this makes sense!

I have also voted for

replay gain support

and

playlist (m3u) support

It is interesting what people are asking for!

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #7,767 of 19,652
Looking at the specs, I see that the E12 puts out 880 mW at 32 ohms, and the X5 puts out 750 mW.

Except it doesn't.  The tested output is 276mW into 32ohm.  Which is more than all most but not 750mW :wink:

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #7,769 of 19,652
@Zorrofox: There's been plenty of discussion of about the X5 and OS X.

The PRO is that USB DAC function is completely plug n play - no extra drivers required.

The CON is that OS X leaves hidden files on your mSD card, which the X5 will make visible and try to scan as media files. Using a free utility like "Eject For Windows" removes the hidden files and then ejects the card in one step, so this CON is easily mitigated.

Ubuntu Linux also leaves some hidden files/folders on the msd cards, but usually only when you have deleted items and the OS creates a trash folder.  I just choose to display hidden files in Ubuntu and then delete the hidden files before putting the card back in the X5.  I've done this on multiple occasions with no issues.  When the hidden files show up on the X5 they're more of an annoyance than a serious problem - I just don't like to see them in the folder list.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #7,770 of 19,652
Accept it doesn't.  The tested output is 276mW into 32ohm.  Which is more than all most but not 750mW :wink:

Really? That is very disappointing. By publishing this incorrect spec, FIIO is enticing people to buy the X5 on the assumption that it does have all the power needed. Do you happen to know the true spec on the E12? Why should I believe the published one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back