The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 27, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #7,772 of 19,652
Faster than i thought - I found a cable which works with my E17 - so I'm able to compare now:

Using the same source (netbook running Ubuntu) and same music - I have compared the X5 vs the E17 as USB DACs.  Firstly, both work without special drivers under Linux -  iwas testing with my Bose QuietComfort 15s.

Now on to the sound impressions:

Both are excellent as DACs - the X5 has a bit of a wider soundstage.  Both are very detailed, precise and clean - and MUCH better than the netbook internal soundcard (to be expected).  The E17 has a slight advantage due to the added treble and bass adjustment capability - which gives more flexibility for those of us who like to add bass or highs - and adjust to their liking.  That's all I am missing on the X5 - sound wise.

I will keep my E17+E09K combination for my desktop setup - because it is awesome together with active studio monitors (in my case 2 x Adam A5X plus the Adam 7 Subwoofer - to make an incredible 2.1 sounds system for the PC.

Bottom line, you wouldn't go wrong with either as a USB DAC - but you could always use the E17 as an added amplifier boost for the E17 (as opposed to the E12 - amplifier only) - but the X5 holds its own as a DAC.

Hope this helps :dt880smile: - Cheers,
R.Fox

Nice review and comparison, thanks!
Chris

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #7,773 of 19,652
OSX always leaves hidden files on the CF card or USB sticks I put music on, for my vehicles.

They become visible when I view them on my PCs.

In that case, I should add music using my PC for the X5 (when I get it).

Again, just use Eject For Windows on your Mac. It's really simple, and it just works.

Accept it doesn't.  The tested output is 276mW into 32ohm.  Which is more than all most but not 750mW :wink:

[COLOR=5A5A5A]Where did you get that from? I Just checked on the Fiio website and it says "> 255 mW@32Ω". That seems pretty accurate to me. [/COLOR]

255mW @ 32Ω is the published spec and has been known since the pre-release tour. Your measurement of 276mW @ 32Ω actually exceeds the published spec and just goes to show that Fiio over delivers on their published specs. Good job, Fiio!

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #7,774 of 19,652
Again, just use Eject For Windows on your Mac. It's really simple, and it just works.

255mW @ 32Ω is the published spec and has been known since the pre-release tour. Your measurement of 276mW @ 32Ω actually exceeds the published spec and just goes to show that Fiio over delivers on their published specs. Good job, Fiio!

[COLOR=5A5A5A]Where did you get that from? I Just checked on the Fiio website and it says "> 255 mW@32Ω". That seems pretty accurate to me. [/COLOR]

Sorry guys… It must've been a brain fart on my part. Now I understand.

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #7,775 of 19,652

EFW... damn, learn something new every day, been a hybrid PC/Mac person for a long time and didn't know that.

Thanks

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #7,777 of 19,652
Are there any online retailers in the US that actually have the X5 in stock?  I could have sworn I saw it available on Micca Store a few days back, but now there is no listing to be found. 

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #7,778 of 19,652
Yup, the X3 definitely sounds better. I know there were some people on this thread who had the X3. If you still have it, can you ease load the new 2.14b firmware and compare with X5 running 1.27b. Sounds like it'd make an interesting comparison. I'd do it, but my X5 is still with MP4 Nation. At least it's changed from pre-order to processing...

Well I may have been a tad too quick to sell my X3. I am finding that I miss the hardware treble and bass controls, but now that people are reporting improved clarity and soundstage I am regretting it further.

I love my X5's sound and it's hardware and UI, but for some variety and with certain headphones I preferred the X3. It would have been better for me to just keep it. Mind you for the price I sold it I could easily pick up another with minimal loss.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions when you finally get your X5.

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #7,779 of 19,652
I agree I love my X5 but I personally. Think the X3 has more power and runs my HD598 will no problems,
Where as my X5 struggles to keep up using the HD598.
Then again it could just be me...
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Mike

X3 is slightly more powerful - but difference is minimal (X3 = 270 wM @ 32 ohm / 30 mW @ 300 ohm VS X5 = 255 wM @ 32 ohm / 28 mW @ 300 ohm).

This should not have a huge effect given your HD598 are 50 ohm and very sensitive (112dB / @1kHz / @1Vrms)

The X5 had no problems driving my HD600 - which are both higher impedance (300 ohm) and lower sensitivity (97dB / @1kHz / @1Vrms) - using high gain on the X5

So yep - I'd suggest it's just you 
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #7,780 of 19,652
i thought as much...
blink.gif
 it meeee
I just don't like the idea of using gain. I have just this nagging thought that you lose sound quality.
Which you probably wont... or could it be my X5 is faulty, also I don't need to use the gain on the X3.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #7,781 of 19,652
  Are there any online retailers in the US that actually have the X5 in stock?  I could have sworn I saw it available on Micca Store a few days back, but now there is no listing to be found. 

I bought one friday, the last one from asavings which is an authorized retailer through amazon.  And I got 60$ off for ordering it and getting approved for a credit card (which I'll slice up once it gets here).

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #7,783 of 19,652
Was that with the Bass Boost on that you found the X5/E12 combo too bass heavy, I find it more neutral with it off, but I enjoy it more with the bass boost on.

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #7,784 of 19,652
  Was that with the Bass Boost on that you found the X5/E12 combo too bass heavy, I find it more neutral with it off, but I enjoy it more with the bass boost on.

I have tried it both ways and it just had a washed out dark feeling with the bass on.  Then I tried it with it off and it was lacking mids,  Any info that may help would be greatly appreciated. The BH2 is fun with and without the SF on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back