The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 20, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #7,291 of 19,652
would like to ask other X5 owners if your unit has this wetlook like on the screen vertically. I dunno if it's the adhesive of the screen protector or the screen itself. you can see if the screen is turned off. is that normal? you folks have this also? thank you.

Have you already removed the protective film's mask? If yes I don't think it should have vertical streak, mine and other X5s I've seen have normal looking screens.

Apr 20, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #7,292 of 19,652
would like to ask other X5 owners if your unit has this wetlook like on the screen vertically. I dunno if it's the adhesive of the screen protector or the screen itself. you can see it if the screen is turned off. is that normal? you folks have this also? thank you.

Same here, i'm fairly certain it's the adhesive. you can't see it with the screen turned on though, so i'm not really bothered by it.

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #7,293 of 19,652
Have you already removed the protective film's mask? If yes I don't think it should have vertical streak, mine and other X5s I've seen have normal looking screens.

Yep I already removed the top layer of the protector. It's not like a scratch like that though more like the adhesive. you can only see it in bright light with the screen turned off.

Same here, i'm fairly certain it's the adhesive. you can't see it with the screen turned on though, so i'm not really bothered by it.

Thanks! Just wanna make sure others have it too. :)

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #7,294 of 19,652
I am a firm believe in DACs making a difference.  There are lots of high-end DACs like Burson, Benchmark, and others.  I was wondering if anybody has a high-end one to compare with X5, but it depends on if you can use the X5 as a stand alone DAC.

I have connected my X5 via analogue line out to my hifi and it sounds good, an advancement on playing same tracks via Sonos / NAS drive into my Rega Dac.

But connecting X5 digital out directly into the Rega DAC takes things to another level.

So it's an excellent transport, but improves with a £500 full size DAC as you would expect of two well produced products.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #7,297 of 19,652
Hi guys, first post!

Long time lurker... I guess there is always that one exciting thread that makes you click on the sign up button :)

I know there is a lot of controversy on the subject of Mp3 vs FLAC around here.
Now that I pre-ordered the X5, (still waiting mp4nation
angry_face.gif
)  I am wondering if any of you can tell there is a difference due to the suberb DAC in this device?

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #7,298 of 19,652
Hi guys, first post!

Long time lurker... I guess there is always that one exciting thread that makes you click on the sign up button :)

Now that I pre-ordered the X5, (still waiting mp4nation :angry_face: )  I am wondering if any of you can tell there is a difference due to the suberb DAC in this device?

I am relatively new (6 mos) to head-fi. I just upgraded from an iPhone 4S to the X5 and I have noticed a degradation of SQ in the few mp3 recordings I have. I also have some AAC 256 tracks ( roughly equivalent of MP3 320) and notice more of a difference between those tracks and my ALAC and HD tracks on the X5 than my iPhone.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #7,299 of 19,652
  Hi guys, first post!

Now that I pre-ordered the X5, (still waiting mp4nation
angry_face.gif
)  I am wondering if any of you can tell there is a difference due to the suberb DAC in this device?

Is there controversy?  No -- FLAC (and any lossless audio file, e.g. ALAC or WAV) will sound better on a high-res device like the X5 (assuming you're using decent phones or in-ear monitors, and not some $5 piece of garbage).

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #7,300 of 19,652
I have a friend who is very skeptical on our capabilities of distinguishing high quality compressed audio and uncompressed audio. Frankly speaking, I can hear the difference. I can even hear the difference between the ipod and the Fiio X3. Of course, in order to notice it you need a good audio gear (two Stax headphones in my case) .

Having said that, I can hardly notice the difference between the X3 and the X5......

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #7,301 of 19,652
I have a friend who is very skeptical on our capabilities of distinguishing high quality compressed audio and uncompressed audio. Frankly speaking, I can hear the difference. I can even hear the difference between the ipod and the Fiio X3. Of course, in order to notice it you need a good audio gear (two Stax headphones in my case) .

Having said that, I can hardly notice the difference between the X3 and the X5......

I have a friend who is very skeptical that evolution is real.  Both of our friends are wrong.

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #7,303 of 19,652
Well IMO there is always a good amount of psychology involved but I'm definitely going to try and see for myself. I just wanted to see what others have been experiencing so far themselves. I have a pair of Ultrasone pro 900s i am planning to use straight out of the HO. they should have enough juice and should be detailed enough to tell the difference (if my ears are perceptive enough 
tongue.gif
).

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #7,304 of 19,652
I am relatively new (6 mos) to head-fi. I just upgraded from an iPhone 4S to the X5 and I have noticed a degradation of SQ in the few mp3 recordings I have. I also have some AAC 256 tracks ( roughly equivalent of MP3 320) and notice more of a difference between those tracks and my ALAC and HD tracks on the X5 than my iPhone.

The X5 is revealing the compression and relative lack of dynamics on the mp3 and AAC (I prefer AAC). It also reveals the higher quality of the lossless formats and is a treat when the original music is mastered well. The X5 also reveals poorly mastered music. The iPhone has a much lower output power and an inferior DAC that masks these differences.

I relate it to SD television vs HD television. On the old CRT televisions SD content looked fine. When HD televisions first came out the same SD broadcast looked much worse because the HD television was able to display all of the low resolution artifacts and interlacing. That was when people were gobbling up anything HD they could find just so they could see a better picture quality. It's best to match the source to the capabilities of the gear. Not completely necessary, but it helps. As a matter of fact I listen to a few higher bit rate AAC files on my X5 and enjoy them thoroughly, but I know that there is much better quality in my lossless tracks for me to hear.

The X5 will simply tell you the truth about your music. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back