The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 19, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #7,277 of 19,652
I have found that my X5 sounds a little improved using the line-out and an external amp.

With my se530 - using a slee voyager portable amp. the iems sound a little more full/deep especially with bass guitars/double-bass and more liquid in the mid-range, alos (and the reason I use them - the treble has far more sparkle/weight). It is only when I listen careful is the difference is noticeable to any extent (apart from the treble) though and for casual listening or using them in more noisy environments, the difference would be negligible.

The same happens with my nad hp50 and I use a neco soundlabs (uk) amp. with these as the synergy is better than with the voyager.

So my conclusions are that indeed the x5 is better with an external amplifier but it is necessary to listen carefully and in good listening conditions i.e.quiet environment and that headphone/amp synergy is critical.

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #7,278 of 19,652
You may have issues with the O2, but given the obviously flat frequency response I don't see how you can suggest that the O2 in any way boosts bass. So yes, I think for purposes of frequency response the O2 does indeed represent neutrality.

Just about every SS headphone manufacturer publishes flat frequency response, high SNR and low distortion figures for their headphone amps.

For example:
FiiO E12, turn off the bass boost and the frequency response is flat until you get out to 40 Hz and 25 kHz where it starts to drop.
http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000038732625&MenuID=105026001
Going by the measurements, the E12 is neutral too.
But when you try listening to the two amps side by side, well, others may call it differently.

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #7,279 of 19,652
  I have found that my X5 sounds a little improved using the line-out and an external amp.

With my se530 - using a slee voyager portable amp. the iems sound a little more full/deep especially with bass guitars/double-bass and more liquid in the mid-range, alos (and the reason I use them - the treble has far more sparkle/weight). It is only when I listen careful is the difference is noticeable to any extent (apart from the treble) though and for casual listening or using them in more noisy environments, the difference would be negligible.

The same happens with my nad hp50 and I use a neco soundlabs (uk) amp. with these as the synergy is better than with the voyager.

So my conclusions are that indeed the x5 is better with an external amplifier but it is necessary to listen carefully and in good listening conditions i.e.quiet environment and that headphone/amp synergy is critical.

So no misunderstanding exists.  All DAP's sound better with external amplifiers just as a home system would sound with better amplification, mostly separate components. Now the question is which amp or component to use.  Answer is, whatever sounds better to you.......Audition is a wonderful thing, so enjoy!

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #7,281 of 19,652
Hi guys, I was wondering how well the X5 stands compared to some high-end desktop DACs.  This is regarding it's performance of the DAC only.  

Got any DAC in mind? It might help you get a more satisfying answer :)

(I don't own any, i use my X5 for it, and my X3 before that)

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #7,282 of 19,652
Got mine today! The wheel is a touch flimsy but I think it should be able to stay put with normal usage. I just wonder if the stiffness of the wheel is uniform with every X5 (I hope it is)... The sound is very detailed especially the texture of the lows compared to my E17. It really is a HUGE step up from E17 in terms of SQ. This is now my currently best source and I love it! :) More power FiiO!!!

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #7,283 of 19,652
Has anybody tried the X5 with HD650 Headphones, does it power them ok as I am using an E17 with a L3 at the moment

Any views on the quality of sound with these items would be appreciated as well.

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #7,284 of 19,652

Panda, could you take a clear shot of the inner workings of the scroll wheel? I want to see if it'd be modable, as to make it "tick" harder when scrolling, but don't want to try to take mine apart before knowing if it's a possible thing to do.

Thanks in advance

--CH23

Apr 19, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #7,285 of 19,652
Got any DAC in mind? It might help you get a more satisfying answer
smily_headphones1.gif

(I don't own any, i use my X5 for it, and my X3 before that)

I am a firm believe in DACs making a difference.  There are lots of high-end DACs like Burson, Benchmark, and others.  I was wondering if anybody has a high-end one to compare with X5, but it depends on if you can use the X5 as a stand alone DAC.

Does the X5 have a line-out? Is this line-out from when it's functioning as stand alone DAC via usb?

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #7,286 of 19,652
Has anybody tried the X5 with of the x5 HD650 Headphones, does it power them ok as I am using an E17 with a L3 at the moment

Any views on the quality of sound with these items would be appreciateded as well.

I'm listening with HD650s as we speak though I'm running the x5 line out to a little dot mkiii. I have toyed with them straight out of the x5 but found it a bit lacking, even with the gain set to high and the volume fairly cranked they just didn't have the clarity or presence I expected. With the little dot in the chain however they sound pretty epic, I'm rediscovering a lot of music I haven't touched in a long time! I'm listening to a FLAC of Hendrix are you experienced and it sounds incredible, the sound stage is immense, detail and instrument separation are possibly the best I've heard from the 650s. You know you've found a nice combination when you catch yourself grinning involuntarily.

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #7,287 of 19,652
I am a firm believe in DACs making a difference.  There are lots of high-end DACs like Burson, Benchmark, and others.  I was wondering if anybody has a high-end one to compare with X5, but it depends on if you can use the X5 as a stand alone DAC.

Does the X5 have a line-out? Is this line-out from when it's functioning as stand alone DAC via usb?

I have a Burson Conductor, but at this point the majority of my listening time is coming from the X5/E12 which should say enough as it is, but I really think the X5 excels as a DAC in particular. I find the amp section alone to be a bit lacking, particularly with harder to drive headphones like my LCD-2's, but when provided with a little additional power this thing really shines. The X5 alone is a super value but I think that with the E12 added on it really takes it toward being as good as a desktop setup, but one that you can carry around with you.

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #7,288 of 19,652

I have a Burson Conductor, but at this point the majority of my listening time is coming from the X5/E12 which should say enough as it is, but I really think the X5 excels as a DAC in particular. I find the amp section alone to be a bit lacking, particularly with harder to drive headphones like my LCD-2's, but when provided with a little additional power this thing really shines. The X5 alone is a super value but I think that with the E12 added on it really takes it toward being as good as a desktop setup, but one that you can carry around with you.

Thank you for the response.  I also own the LCD-2(Rev. 2), and was looking to see if I can have either X5 or DX90 to replace my ODAC depending on if it is better.  I will not be using either one of these players to drive my LCD as it makes no sense, but will be used for my iems.  

My favorite desktop setup for iems has been ODAC/O2 setup until I got my LCD-2 find that O2 lack in amp capabilities compared to my Beta 22.  I have also deduced down to ODAC being a spectacular DAC that is the source of resolution to my headphones.

I'm curisos how either one of those will do compared to the ODAC, I will have to find out.  Of course I"m curious how it stacks against some of the top desktop DACs out there.  

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #7,289 of 19,652
Thanks for that info. I would love to hear your setup as I am a Hendrix fan as well.

The thing with me is I need a potable setup as I like to listen in the lounge and also when in bed.

My finances won't let me stretch to Little Dot so I will have to try my E17 and keep my fingers crossed.

I wish you happy music listening.

Kind Regards

Jim

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #7,290 of 19,652
would like to ask other X5 owners if your unit has this wetlook like on the screen vertically. I dunno if it's the adhesive of the screen protector or the screen itself. you can see it if the screen is turned off. is that normal? you folks have this also? thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back