The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 15, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #7,051 of 19,652
  Yeah, options might be good. I'd really like an option for the display to be like GoneMad Music Player (darkened 2x-zoomed album art used as the screen background; full album art at normal brightness displayed separately from info) - while we're wishing :)

Yeah, that's a nice looking option. No idea if the X5 could handle it, though; resources seem to be stretched to the limit already with this device, going by what our fine reps from FiiO have said.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #7,052 of 19,652

The wheel on the left goes the same way, but the items move the opposite. I get what you're saying, but it's not linear, it's a circle. It's certainly not the end of the world, but I would expect that if I'm controlling a wheel with a wheel, they'd spin the same way. Just a quick observation.

A circle is still a line. You're moving the selector, not the options - as is totally standard.
In a line you press right/down to move the selector to the right/bottom and the options to the left/top of it.
On an ipod, clockwise moves the selector down and the options up.
All the same here.
An option might be good for those thrown but it really would defy any existing convention to reverse it

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #7,054 of 19,652

The wheel on the left goes the same way, but the items move the opposite. I get what you're saying, but it's not linear, it's a circle. It's certainly not the end of the world, but I would expect that if I'm controlling a wheel with a wheel, they'd spin the same way. Just a quick observation. 

I agree with reginalbx and think the current implementation (for me at least) is counter intuetive. I like that the rotation of the wheel to match the rotation of the icons. When the wheel rotates clockwise the icons should also rotate clockwise.

There is no right or wrong here but only a preferred way that differs from person to person.

James, can we make this configurable in a future FW version?, that should be and easy implementation and make everyone happy?

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #7,055 of 19,652
There is literally no existing UI example of icons, rather than the selector/pointer, moving in the direction pressed. If it existed it would be necessary to complain it out of existence immediately.

If icons move in a UI it is always in the opposite direction to that pressed so that the selector moves in the pressed direction. You are asking to control the icons rather than the pointer, which is unprecedented.

I expect even those asking for it reversed would find the same within 5 seconds of trying to use it.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #7,056 of 19,652
Not sure if this is because I have a mac, but when I browse files through the folder view all my songs are duplicated.

For example:

"01 - Song.flac"
"._01 - Song.flac"

Is there anyway to get rid of these duplicates in the listing? It isn't an actual duplicate (nor will the X5 play the song) I think it's just leftover garbage from my mac? I could be wrong, though?

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #7,057 of 19,652
According to this thread 1.20 had faulty gapless (like you described) and this was later fixed.
I've had no gaps in 1.23 beta at all (and I'm picky, listening intently for it and listening to live albums and prog). So upgrading to 1.23 beta (link was on page 456, posted by JoeBloggs, and instructions for updating are in the user guide/manual) should hopefully fix that

Thanks, I did try to use the search function but the size of the thread (and fora also!) makes finding topics very difficult ....

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #7,058 of 19,652
Please don't do this FiiO! The album art currently looks fantastic and the lower part is covered by song info anyway.

+1 I love the way the album art is currently implemented. It fills out the entire screen, rather than having empty screen area if the album art were too small.

Having said that, I think it's purely a matter of personal preference/esthetic taste.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #7,059 of 19,652
Not sure if this is because I have a mac, but when I browse files through the folder view all my songs are duplicated.

For example:

"01 - Song.flac"
"._01 - Song.flac"

Is there anyway to get rid of these duplicates in the listing? It isn't an actual duplicate (nor will the X5 play the song) I think it's just leftover garbage from my mac? I could be wrong, though?

In a terminal, you could delete them with 'rm .*' in each affected folder (or by using a show hidden files option in Finder). Verify first with 'ls -la'. I'm not using a Mac, but Linux. Your files are Mac-specific.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #7,060 of 19,652
Hi All Got mine yesterday lovely sound scroll wheel dose have some side float, wonder if it rides on a ball race bearing or not.
It arrived with FW1.20 installed is it worth upgrading yet or should I wait for version 2 to be released. Also can anyone advise on the best FLAC settings when ripping Cds it all a bit new to me most likely going to use EAC for the mo.

Thanks for Any advice in advance.
Arcright

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #7,061 of 19,652
Ah thanks! I found a way to show all hidden files as well, in terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

then:

killall Finder
(this just restarts Finder, for anyone else in this same position)

I'll just go through and delete all the garbage.

Thanks!

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #7,062 of 19,652
...But in some cases, it cuts off something important.

What if they make the top bar partially transparent, like the song info window at the bottom currently is -- at least while a song is playing -- and use the whole screen for album art?

Great idea... Looks like I'm a bit behind in my reading :D

While they're at it (assuming James & Joe adopts your suggestion), I hope the guys at FiiO will consider making the icons at the top bar larger. My poor eyes keep asking for a magnifying glass :p

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #7,063 of 19,652
  Ah thanks! I found a way to show all hidden files as well, in terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

then:

killall Finder
(this just restarts Finder, for anyone else in this same position)

I'll just go through and delete all the garbage.

Thanks!

Actually, this is not showing those files.. only stuff like the .DS_Store files... Hmm. Weird, is this something with the X5?

Also, is there anything I shouldn't delete? Like the ".Trashes" folder and the ".Spotlight-V100" folders? I assume these are mac garbage files?

The spotlight folder has VolumeConfig.plist files in there, so I dunno if that is for the X5 or not, but I won't delete it.

Any other ideas about the duplicate "._XXXX" files? Anyone else have this issue?

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #7,064 of 19,652
  While my experience with MP4 Nation has been limited, I've had no problems.  I placed an order for the X5 on 3/20 and it has shipped today with a expected delivery date for tomorrow.  Last summer I ordered (actually pre-ordered) the X3 without incident.

Unfortunately, it's not about those who receive prompt service.  That is what you expect and deserve when you pay your good money.  However, when problems exist with businesses on an ongoing basis, one should take note.  Be guided accordingly.

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #7,065 of 19,652
Ok guys I figured out the deal with the "._" files - on a mac you can open terminal and use "dot_clean path"

(my card is named X5 TF1 so I would type in terminal "dot_clean /Volumes/X5\ TF1" and then I'm all set!)

I used it on the entire volume and it gets rid of all those dupe files!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back