The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #7,021 of 19,652
I'm using 3M dual lock (the version that is removable). Works like a charm and strong! Easily attach and detach E18 from Samsung S3 phone.

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #7,022 of 19,652
Just curious why you're using the E12 instead of the amp in X5? Isn't the X5 amp better and using their new neutral sound signature.

The amp in the X5 is very good for my IEM's but I need to have more power for my HD800,T1,880,M50 phones than what the X5 amp will output... plus when you mate the E12 to the X5 you
not only get lots more power you also get the great bass boost and cross feed options that the X5 does not have alone....  I'm betting that Fiio puts the E12 power into the X7 when it comes out.

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #7,023 of 19,652
The amp in the X5 is very good for my IEM's but I need to have more power for my HD800,T1,880,M50 phones than what the X5 amp will output... plus when you mate the E12 to the X5 you
not only get lots more power you also get the great bass boost and cross feed options that the X5 does not have alone....  I'm betting that Fiio puts the E12 power into the X7 when it comes out.

Yes makes perfect sense. Maybe I should be waiting for X7. I don't want two sandwich two devices together if I don't have to.

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #7,024 of 19,652
The HD600s (despite being 300 ohm) are not a hard can to drive at all actually.  The X5 by itself handles them more than sufficiently.

I'm going to be getting a Senn hd650 at some point. Does anyone have experience or can comment if X5 will be able to drive these without any quality loss?

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #7,026 of 19,652
I pre-ordered the X5 and after reading those bunch of comments on this thread, I'm thinking about buying an E12 for it.

I'm just really not sure if I would need it or really benefit from it. I'm new in this and like some people said, sorry for my wallet entering here :p

The X5 should have sufficient power to drive your headphones. An amp might drive it with more authority and can (perhaps most importantly) provide a different sound signature. I'm using the Fiio E12 DIY, which allows the user to swap out opamps and buffers, and have been having fun altering the sound signature :).

Apr 15, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #7,027 of 19,652
Funnily enough i was thinking of adding a Centrance hi fi m8 to my x5 which should land this week i already have an E12 so maybe this will do but i cant helf wondering like Seskoi on the above tread do you really need it. Probably not with Sennhesiser momentums but surely for HD 600s as these can be a hard can to drive.

I don't have the X5 but I do have the Centrance HiFi-M8.  The M8 is a digital-input-only device.  You can't use its amp by itself.  Inputs are USB and optical (LX version) or USB and Apple MFi (iDevice version), depending on which model you get.  From what I've read, the X5 can spit out bits via coax, but that is not optical, so there's no way to connect the X5 to the M8.

I also have an E12 -- I say stick with that if you need more output power than the X5 can produce.  Plus, the E12 and X5 are almost exactly (maybe exactly?) the same size, so they will stack perfectly -- the past thread pictures show it nicely.  

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #7,028 of 19,652
  about the build in EQ , just talk with our engineer, a solution as below:

all the EQ mode can be customed in the new firmware. it means you can change the EQ setting and them save it to what every you need for rock, classic ...

will it a better solution ?

This is nice, but in additional adding "reset EQ to default" will be even nicer! 

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #7,029 of 19,652
  Another, more minor niggle: the screen cuts off the bottom eighth, I'd say, of all my album art. It'd be nice if, for square images, the player would fit them into the available space with black bars on the sides.

Please don't do this FiiO! The album art currently looks fantastic and the lower part is covered by song info anyway.

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #7,030 of 19,652
Gapless not working in my Fiio x5, I am playing HD tracks. The gap is very short, but enough to spoil listening to classic music ( like the orchestra stopping suddenly in the middle of a piece and then continuing in a fraction of a second....).

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #7,034 of 19,652
I am playing 1.20 so I will have to check how to update to 1.23 beta...

According to this thread 1.20 had faulty gapless (like you described) and this was later fixed.
I've had no gaps in 1.23 beta at all (and I'm picky, listening intently for it and listening to live albums and prog). So upgrading to 1.23 beta (link was on page 456, posted by JoeBloggs, and instructions for updating are in the user guide/manual) should hopefully fix that

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #7,035 of 19,652

twister had an idea, i just sticked silicon cover to e12 with double-sided tape and now it's possible to easy remove e12 when needed; made ic myself. and you need thin tape,
thick kind doesn't stick to silicon well.

Yeah I actually was going to do just this. I have 3M fastener stuff already on my E12, I could just put a strip on the silicone case for now.. I could always buy another silicone case when they are released (Actually, another question: are these the same silicone cases that came with it , except in different colors? Or are they better quality?)

Next order of business is finding a good IC cable to connect them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back