The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 12, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #6,871 of 19,652
With regard to the formatting of cards it seems that the best option is FAT32 (even better to format with the X5). There are a lot of variables in file systems and how they manage data, and it's very difficult to manage an interface with so many options for the end user. One reason Apple products run smoothly is they offer only a few music formats with a specific OS/file system/disk format. With far fewer user variables the experience is much smoother. Fiio is trying to offer us a wide range of options for playing our music but I would recommend using only FAT32 formatted with the X5 for the cards. On second thought Fiio should state that this must be done using the X5 hardware, similar to what every digital camera does, that way they can focus on UI, music formats and sound quality and not chase disk formatting variables that can't be predicted but take a large amount of time and effort to troubleshoot.

Apr 12, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #6,875 of 19,652
With regard to the formatting of cards it seems that the best option is FAT32 (even better to format with the X5). There are a lot of variables in file systems and how they manage data, and it's very difficult to manage an interface with so many options for the end user. One reason Apple products run smoothly is they offer only a few music formats with a specific OS/file system/disk format. With far fewer user variables the experience is much smoother. Fiio is trying to offer us a wide range of options for playing our music but I would recommend using only FAT32 formatted with the X5 for the cards. On second thought Fiio should state that this must be done using the X5 hardware, similar to what every digital camera does, that way they can focus on UI, music formats and sound quality and not chase disk formatting variables that can't be predicted but take a large amount of time and effort to troubleshoot.

point taken but do not agree here. Fat32 is limited and archaic. A high resolution player should play high res files. If I have a single album recorded in one file in a dsd format it will be well over 4gb in size and fat32 is limited to 4gb files.

Apr 12, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #6,878 of 19,652
Just a quick question. If you have an audiobook, and pause it, then go and play some music and come back to the audiobook, will it remember the place? I know on android and ios devices you can do that, but not sure if this is possible on these sorts of daps. 

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #6,883 of 19,652
Is it available at B&H?  It doesn't say pre-order anymore.  It says new release.  Anybody in NY could probably pick it up in store.  Maybe the shipment arrived recently.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1032833-REG/fiio_x_5_portable_high_resolution_music.html

free shipping 
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #6,884 of 19,652
B & H in Manhattan will close early on Monday the 14th and re-open I believe on Wednesday the 23rd of April for the Holiday (check Web Site).  Do Not get stuck with an order in limbo as the whole operation shuts down.  Best of Luck  Happy Easter, Happy Passover

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #6,885 of 19,652

Users who are viewing this thread

Back