The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #6,046 of 19,652

It is hot because that's how Li-ion behaves when charged. But unless it is much hotter than a smartphone after some very intensive 3D gameplay, there is really no real concern there.

Get the biggest current output USB adapter you can find, but even a 0.5A adapter will work just fine (except for a longer charging time). One thing to note is that the really cheap eBay charger might burn-out when it is over-drawed (because of the lack of protection circuit inside) - but that's not limited to charging X5 and can happen to charging any demanding USB devices.

From what I learned about Lithium Ion batteries I was given the following direction.  Once my tools or devices with Lithium Ion batteries runs out of juice, DO NOT CHARGE THEM RIGHT AWAY.  Let them cool off for 1-2 hours before you charge them.  The life of the battery will be reduced and the capacity can be affected if you do not do so.

Not sure if it's snake oil or not but read it in two places and do this with my power tools.  I don't want to shorten battery life and definitely not charging and playing at the same time on this lovely device.

Apr 4, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #6,048 of 19,652
+1, I too pre-ordered with B&H a month age, and called inquired my order. They do not know when they will receive the shipment. The answer was we will ship your item when we get it. personally, this will be my last transection with B&H. I would not recommend B&H unless you don't might to wait and wait and wait..... while you can order else where and get it in a few days.

Why would you not cancel the pre-order as soon as you were advised by said B&H that they did not know when they would receive shipment of X5's from Fiio?  However, if you used paypal to pay for your order that would have not been advisable.  As using a credit card would only be charged upon shipment. Whereas, paypal is charged upon order and not shipment.
When the hype of a new product is so high, then it stands to reason that due diligence on the buyers part becomes most important. 

Caveat Emptor

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #6,049 of 19,652
So I'm still trying to add album art to my X5 with no luck? Any more ideas, nothing I've tried seems to work so far.

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #6,050 of 19,652
Quote:
Why would you not cancel the pre-order as soon as you were advised by said B&H that they did not know when they would receive shipment of X5's from Fiio?  However, if you used paypal to pay for your order that would have not been advisable.  As using a credit card would only be charged upon shipment. Whereas, paypal is charged upon order and not shipment.
When the hype of a new product is so high, then it stands to reason that due diligence on the buyers part becomes most important. 

Caveat Emptor

I have been waiting for so long, I was thinking of put up with B&H and wait until they ship me the unit. Thanks BeBop for the reminder that I could cancel the order, I just called B&H and cancelled my order.

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #6,051 of 19,652
  I'm not getting personal.  You're attempting to smear the most reputable on-line retailer with whom I've been doing extensive business, amounting to thousands and thousands of dollars, for decades.

You were not told by B&H that they were getting the X5 ahead of anyone else.  What you read here on head-fi.org was not posted by B&H.  And I am not implying anything about other companies.  As I stated earlier,other reputable companies provided a range of dates within which they expected delivery.  "headphone" is HeadRoom, which has its site at www.headphone.com.  As I mentioned, I pre-ordered from them, and they never gave me a shipment date.  They said that they expected to receive shipment within a range of dates and, as it turns out, they were correct -- the X5s arrived today (a little over an hour ago, according to the rep I spoke with), and pre-orders will ship out today.  

If you are someone who thinks, "I read it on the internet (and, particularly, in an anonymous internet web forum), therefore it must be true," then you are truly naive.  Next time, call the retailer before you pre-order or back-order.  Don't rely on hearsay that you read on an internet forum where everyone posts anonymously.  I called B&H before ordering from HeadRoom and the rep I spoke with checked with buyer who advised that there was no confirmed date for the incoming shipment, though it was expected in "a week or two."  The buyer also couldn't guarantee the number of units in the shipment.  These are facts provided by B&H to me, and it was based on these facts that I made my purchasing decision.  If you had bothered to call B&H, you would have learned the same thing -- there's no secret code for getting information from B&H.

The operative phrase in your post is, "I'm only guessing."  Indeed, you are only guessing, based on your completely erroneous assumptions, your incorrect conclusions based on what you've read in this thread, and your complete ignorance of exactly how retailers of goods manufactured by other companies run their businesses.  You're not trying to help anyone, you're only trying to hurt B&H by bad-mouthing them without justification.

I do think, however, that you are correct about avoiding B&H in the future.  I suspect they and their customers will appreciate that.

If that's not personal, I'd hate to see your posts when you do decide to go personal :)  As for the so-called smear, I'd think that most people reading my posts here can recognize the difference between reporting negative facts & lashing out in a negative fashion. I'm only trying to help other people avoid the problem I ran into with B&H. That's the only reason why I shared my information. So again, could you quit attacking the messenger? This is supposed to be a forum for exchange of information, not personal attacks.

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #6,052 of 19,652

I like free Mp3tag best. Right click on an album folder (Windows) and select mp3tag option. Select all tracks, Click Tag Source at top and choose Amazon.com. Select correct Album and choose preview. It finds album on amazon page, where you copy cover and paste into album cover box within Mp3tag. Save files and all tracks are embedded with art. Takes less than one minute.

I also use MP3tag for this, but lately I've found that discogs is a better source of tags and art than Amazon.com or Amazon.de.  Their database just has fewer errors, and it seems to be much bigger --- I rip and declick a lot of old vinyl that never came out on CD, and discogs has excellent info on old LPs.  That's just my recent experience, of course.

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #6,053 of 19,652
  From what I learned about Lithium Ion batteries I was given the following direction.  Once my tools or devices with Lithium Ion batteries runs out of juice, DO NOT CHARGE THEM RIGHT AWAY.  Let them cool off for 1-2 hours before you charge them.  The life of the battery will be reduced and the capacity can be affected if you do not do so.

Not sure if it's snake oil or not but read it in two places and do this with my power tools.  I don't want to shorten battery life and definitely not charging and playing at the same time on this lovely device.

It is true that when Li-ion battery is charged at temperature over 45°C (or below 0°C), it will affect battery life. But it is rare that you can push Li-ion battery to run that hot in most electronics. Power tool is probably an exception since they are usually very demanding. This is also why placing anything that has a Li-ion battery under the hot sun is a bad idea. Anyway, it is not recommended to discharge Li-ion fully all the time, as you can accidentally over-discharge it if you are not careful (usually there is a protection circuit to protect against it, but it can still happen if you run it dry then leave it uncharged for too long). My advise is to recharge it as often as you can, since Li-ion battery doesn't get affected by memory effect so frequent recharging doesn't shorten battery life much.

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #6,054 of 19,652
  No need to get personal, please. I've only posted what B&H told me. I placed my preorder with them because I read about it here on headfi. I believe other people should know what B&H has told me about their delivery date. Now if you are trying to imply that the other companies such as MP4nation & headphone have been lying about their shipment dates, that is certainly not correct. B&H is the only company that I dealt with that has advertised a preorder with absolutely no known delivery date. Headphone is taking preorders and they have the tracking numbers for their X5 shipments. That is a big difference and when I come to headfi, I expect to find facts and honest opinions. I'm sorry if anybody has taken offense over my complaint about B&H's questionable behavior. I imagine they must normally be a reputable company in most instances, but in this particular case they did not live up to my expectations. I'm simply trying to help anyone else who is trying to get an EARLY shipment of the X5.

BTW, B&H's latest ads are showing that the X5 is shipping on Thursday. I'm not dealing with them anymore, so I didn't call to ask them if their ad is correct this time. But just maybe the salesperson at B&H doesn't know the actual status of the X5 shipment. I'm only guessing, because nobody at B&H has told me anything other than that they had no idea of the delivery date. Peace out.

I have to correct my previous post about B&H's ad showing the X5 shipping on Thursday. I checked their site and they're back to listing the X5 as simply on pre-order. I guess I made another assumption that Thursday meant THIS Thursday... I guess it means just that it will ship on a Thursday! Sigh. Anyway, I got my shipping notice from Headphone.com & my X5 is finally on the way. Now that is how I expected a preorder to go. To anyone else trying to get an X5 in a reasonable amount of time, I'd strongly recommend reading this thread (with a grain of salt, there's at least one person who's decided that this forum is a place to post personal insults) and make sure you go with one of the places that actually has the X5 in stock or with a known shipping date. If they can't tell you when they're getting their product, take them at their word and go somewhere else. It seems that not every company has the same definition of preorder as most of us do!

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #6,056 of 19,652
Enabling EQ (even on Flat) will reduce volume because the system needs to reverse enough headroom to make sure EQ won't clip the signal (a problem common to the iDevices' EQ system). Hence why hardware EQ like that on X3 has its advantage. Of course, hardware EQ is less flexible and thus why people requested software EQ on X5. Well, you simply can't have them all.

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #6,057 of 19,652
Does anyone know if the X5 has OTG functionality? I think that FIIO says something about OTG but I haven't been able to find any posts about anyone using OTG to connect to a flash drive or whatever. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what FIIO meant about OTG, but the ibasso DX50 has OTG and I can expand its storage by using a flash drive or card reader. Thanks.

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #6,058 of 19,652
If you have the X5, would the inbuilt Formatter not be first choice?

I guess it should work, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Not every SD card formating utility implements the process the same way (e.g., the built in utility in Windows only goes up to 32GB).
sdcard.org is the official SD card standards organization. Thus their SDFormatter is the standard formatting utility which works on all SD cards. I've always only used their latest SDFormatter utility (better safe than sorry) and it works everytime. Doesn't mean other utilities will not work.

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #6,060 of 19,652
Any chance to get playlists creation on the go (or dynamic playlists)? It's annoying to choose a new album every time the previous one ends, when it should be possible to add quickly few albums to the playlist and just listen to this damn thing :wink: Or is it possible already (sorry, maybe I missed that)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back