The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 2, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #5,881 of 19,652
Category Browsing is Fiio's terminology for relying on a tag-based database. File/Folder a Browsing is file navigation just like on your computer. I've had much better luck with File/Folder Browsing on my X3 but know Fiio's made database improvements in the X5's firmware. If it works well, I'll use that instead of File/Folder Browsing in the future. The downside to Category Browsing is that if you switch cards a lot, it takes a bit of time every time you switch to rebuild the database.

Do the Fiio players not rebuild the database for a new card if you use File/Folder Browsing?  That would be great for me, as I prefer file/folder browsing anyway.  

Waiting for my Sansa players to refresh when I put in a new 32GB card drives me nuts.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #5,882 of 19,652

Sorry man but I think this card may be a fake one, unfortunately :frowning2: Check it with h2testw program.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fake." These are generic cards.  I've already formatted 2 of them.  I transferred 120 Gb of music to one, and I'm loading up the other now.  I don't have my X5 yet, but I've used the fully loaded to play ALAC-encoded music on my computer and my computer can read them perfectly.  These are NOT high-speed-write cards -- they're not going to be used in my Canon 60D DSLR.  However, their read speed is fine for lossless compressed music.

They're "genuine" generic cards, almost certainly made in China, they hold 128 Gb of data and they're working fine.  For me, they're a much better option than either paying $200+ per card, or waiting months to get them at $100 per card.  For $120, I'll have my entire music collection with me when I fly to China next month.

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #5,884 of 19,652
  Do the Fiio players not rebuild the database for a new card if you use File/Folder Browsing?  That would be great for me, as I prefer file/folder browsing anyway.  

Waiting for my Sansa players to refresh when I put in a new 32GB card drives me nuts.

To my best understanding, you can set the X5 to not build the database automatically... but you will still need a database for file/folder browsing.

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #5,885 of 19,652
  I'm not sure what you mean by "fake." These are generic cards.  I've already formatted 2 of them.  I transferred 120 Gb of music to one, and I'm loading up the other now.  I don't have my X5 yet, but I've used the fully loaded to play ALAC-encoded music on my computer and my computer can read them perfectly.  These are NOT high-speed-write cards -- they're not going to be used in my Canon 60D DSLR.  However, their read speed is fine for lossless compressed music.

They're "genuine" generic cards, almost certainly made in China, they hold 128 Gb of data and they're working fine.  For me, they're a much better option than either paying $200+ per card, or waiting months to get them at $100 per card.  For $120, I'll have my entire music collection with me when I fly to China next month.

I agree with addsfsds that it does seem like fake. Currently only Sandisk has the technology to produce 128GB microSD, and they are the only one in production. I will be very surprise to see a generic manufacturer is able to beat Sandisk at its own games, consider Sandisk is only able to produce it just a few weeks ago. Also, because of the large capacity, microSD of this size must be SDXC since SDHC can't access anything beyond 32GB due to hardware limitation imposed by the SDHC standard. The fact that someone claiming 128GB card as SDHC is really questionable in itself.

Like addsfeds has suggested, uses H2Testw for a comprehensive read/write test just to be sure. I have dealt with fake SD card before and they can look and function like a normal card at first without proper testing. But under H2Testw, you get to see each and every memory sector inside the SD card and you can be sure you are getting what you have paid for. Great if it is indeed a 128GB, but if it is fake, you get a chance to claim back the money you spent via eBay / Paypal.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #5,886 of 19,652

To my best understanding, you can set the X5 to not build the database automatically... but you will still need a database for file/folder browsing.

the folder browsing does not need database. and you can choose the database is auto updating or not.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 3, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #5,887 of 19,652
from the 1.20, X5 use a new database to improve the updating speed and sovle some bugs in X3, and after that, we will use new media library to add DSD, and improve the SQ of OGG, MP3 playback.

all will be used in the new firmware in X3 too.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 3, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #5,888 of 19,652
  from the 1.20, X5 use a new database to improve the updating speed and sovle some bugs in X3, and after that, we will use new media library to add DSD, and improve the SQ of OGG, MP3 playback.

all will be used in the new firmware in X3 too.

Can't wait for the new database for my X3 and soon to be X5 :)  Thanks for making these players better and better!

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #5,889 of 19,652
  Having recently bought a bunch of stuff from B&H and paid with PayPal, I can tell you that, before taking you to the PayPal site, B&H displays a screen that clearly explains that, if you are paying with PayPal, you will be charged immediately.  This is not at an instance of "buyer beware."  

The "Buyer Beware" refers more to the fact that B&H advertised and took money for the preorder of an item which they don't have any known delivery date for. They were the only ones taking preorders back on March 1 & I foolishly assumed that this meant they were going to be receiving the X5's first. Yes I know I made the assumption myself. But I don't understand why they would take a preorder for something that they don't have any idea when they're getting . I wasted my time & money waiting on an order with B&H. I'd guess that most people who placed a preorder with them thought they were going to get the X5 earlier because of placing that preorder. And since I had my money already down on the preorder, I didn't try to order the X5 through any of the other places mentioned on this site who actually turned out to be on the receiving end of the X5. So I do feel misled, but I realize that I just assumed that this company wouldn't take a preorder on an item that they wouldn't be getting early on in the delivery process. As of today, they don't even have an expected delivery date... So I'd say again, buyer beware. I will try to not make that mistake again.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #5,890 of 19,652
Got a response from mp4nation. They didn't get enough units from fiio, to cover the first pre order batch. So I guess we wait for more stock from fiio, before they ship out units to end customers.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #5,891 of 19,652
Sounds like you fell into batch 1.5

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #5,893 of 19,652
And they will probably be 0 GB cards in 6 months when they stop working, sorry just had too :)

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #5,894 of 19,652

The "Buyer Beware" refers more to the fact that B&H advertised and took money for the preorder of an item which they don't have any known delivery date for.  They were the only ones taking preorders back on March 1 & I foolishly assumed that this meant they were going to be receiving the X5's first. Yes I know I made the assumption myself. But I don't understand why they would take a preorder for something that they don't have any idea when they're getting . I wasted my time & money waiting on an order with B&H. I'd guess that most people who placed a preorder with them thought they were going to get the X5 earlier because of placing that preorder. And since I had my money already down on the preorder, I didn't try to order the X5 through any of the other places mentioned on this site who actually turned out to be on the receiving end of the X5. So I do feel misled, but I realize that I just assumed that this company wouldn't take a preorder on an item that they wouldn't be getting early on in the delivery process. As of today, they don't even have an expected delivery date... So I'd say again, buyer beware. I will try to not make that mistake again.

Every single retailer who has taken money for a preorder didn't have a set delivery date.  Indeed, as has been reported in this thread, Fiio delayed delivery so that all X5s could be flashed to the 1.20 firmware.  Headroom took my money and was quite clear that expected delivery was in a specific range.

As you admit, you "foolishly assumed that this meant [B&H was] going to be receiving the X5s first."  There was no basis for that assumption and, had you spoken with a B&H sales rep, he would, no doubt, explained to you that delivery dates for back-ordered products are never definite.  This is true for every retailer.  This was your mistake, not anything deceptive on B&H's part.

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #5,895 of 19,652
Got a response from mp4nation. They didn't get enough units from fiio, to cover the first pre order batch. So I guess we wait for more stock from fiio, before they ship out units to end customers.

Might not be a bad thing. The more batches produced, the more chance for any quirks to get worked out of the system which is good for us :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back