The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 2, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #5,836 of 19,652

I've been reading this thread and all the reviews of the X5 for quite some time. A few weeks ago I decided to take the plunge and preorder it from mp4nation to replace my iPod Classic. Got the e-mail earlier today that it shipped and with the fed-ex tracking number. Looks like it should be by me in New York tomorrow by 10:30am!! So excited to be able to take my high res audio on the go!

I ordered from, MP4Nation on March 21st but did not receive any mail yet. You are are a luckey bas...... ?
On what date did you place your order?

I ordered mine the day before on March 20th

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #5,837 of 19,652

Sandisk Ultra 64 a good bet to order while awaiting X5?

I've ordred the Fiio from Amazon UK/AV Shop as they have an earlier date than EA Audio, who are awaiting a 2nd delivery in about 10 days.
Anyone else ordered through AV Shop (never heard of them) via Amazon UK?

Hi Andrew,  I would be a little wary with the Sandisk Ultra 64.  I have just bought two of them from Amazon UK.  First thing is to make sure you get them supplied by Amazon and not a Marketplace re-seller.
A tip I read was to click the Amazon link for it to be supplied in frustration free packaging.  Have a look at the one star reviews for this product on Amazon and you will see there are a lot of fakes being supplied
by Marketplace resellers and some have even refused refunds on the grounds that the product has been opened.

I have tested my cards with H2testw and it shows the cards as genuine, but the read/write speeds are very disappointing for a class 10 card.  (Fiio recommend using at least a class 6 card for the X5)

I also bought a 32gb Samsung card for firmware updates, which has much better read/write speeds.

I have loaded one of the Sandisk cards ready for when my X5 arrives from EA Audio and if it doesn't perform properly, I will return it to Amazon in exchange for a reputable brand.

My test results are shown below:-

Sandisk 64gb CARD 1

Warning: Only 60798 of 60889 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 7.94 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.0 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Formatted NTFS

================================================

Sandisk 64gb CARD 2

Warning: Only 60798 of 60889 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 7.30 MByte/s
Reading speed: 17.6 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Formatted NTFS

Samsung Micro SD 32gb card

Warning: Only 29935 of 29972 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 13.0 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.0 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Format FAT32

===============================================

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #5,838 of 19,652
  I ordered mine the day before on March 20th

Ordered March 20th, too, was definitely in the first pre-order batch (originally had March 29th date). Colour me agitated. Glad they're shipping and understand FiiO is only getting to ship a few units to sellers, but thought I was safe in the first batch. Looks like I landed in the second.

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #5,839 of 19,652
Ugh! I am happy for you but I have no email here. I should be in the first batch, *sinking feeling*. Fingers crossed I'll get one soon. I sure hope they fixed their issues with shipping in order of preorder....

Ordered March 20th, too, was definitely in the first pre-order batch (originally had March 29th date). Colour me agitated. Glad they're shipping and understand FiiO is only getting to ship a few units to sellers, but thought I was safe in the first batch. Looks like I landed in the second.

Color you overreacting. MP4nation had no idea how many units they would be receiving until the 29th, at which point they promptly directed all new orders to their second batch. From what I understand, you've been reading this thread all along and are aware of Fiio's backlog of orders. Given your knowledge of this backlog and their head over heels approach to customer service, I would expect that you would be able to wait a few more days for a mere audio player...
TL; DR: It's just a DAP that's a few days behind schedule. Calm down.

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #5,840 of 19,652
My test results are shown below:-

Sandisk 64gb CARD 1
Formatted NTFS

Sandisk 64gb CARD 2
Formatted NTFS

Samsung Micro SD 32gb card
Format FAT32

===============================================

I read somewhere that NTFS is slower than the FAT-based file systems on SD cards. This would explain your results, if true.

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #5,843 of 19,652
I know a lot of folks are waiting on the 128gb cards, but if you're thinking to settle for 64gb in the meantime, I got a set of Transcend class 10s at Newegg for $31 usd a piece. Don't have the x5 yet but they are loaded up and ready to go. Nice transfer rate if you've got a usb3.0 reader, too (13-15 MB/s).

I'm waiting on 2 128GB cards that won't be here until May, and my X5 is coming tomorrow so I actually went ahead and ordered a Sandisk 64GB today to be here tomorrow for $40. I looked at the Transcend's too because they were a bit cheaper, but there were quite a few reviews saying they failed after a few months, so I went and paid the premium for the Sandisk which was almost all postitive reviews.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #5,844 of 19,652
Color you overreacting. MP4nation had no idea how many units they would be receiving until the 29th, at which point they promptly directed all new orders to their second batch. From what I understand, you've been reading this thread all along and are aware of Fiio's backlog of orders. Given your knowledge of this backlog and their head over heels approach to customer service, I would expect that you would be able to wait a few more days for a mere audio player...
TL; DR: It's just a DAP that's a few days behind schedule. Calm down.

Take it easy, just anxious because I normally don't pay upfront for preorders and MP4 hasn't been comminicating any updates. I think I made it clear I understand the stock issues.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #5,845 of 19,652
Follow-up to my follow-up on $60 128 Gb microSD cards from eBay:

I transferred my entire music collection in ALAC (120 Gb+) to the first of the two cards that I bought.  The first thing I noticed is that write speed is fairly slow.  I tried re-formatting the card to NTFS to see if that helped.  I ultimately resorted to using a program called FastCopy, but it still took overnight -- a little over 13 hours -- to transfer everything.  The good news, however, is that the transfer went flawlessly.  I don't have my X5 yet (Headroom, from whom I pre-ordered, said today that they may have them by the end of the week, or else early next week).  However, I tried playing random tracks on my computer -- if the computer media player can read the card, so will the X5.  The good news is, every track played perfectly, suggesting that, though write speeds may be on the slow side, read speeds are clearly sufficient to support the ALAC (and, presumably, FLAC) data stream.

I'll do some tests on the second card tonight to see what are its actual read and write speeds, and to confirm the integrity of the memory, and I'll report back.

It's rather amazing that a tiny piece of plastic smaller than a fingernail can hold 300+ CDs of music in lossless format.  I love technology. :)

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #5,847 of 19,652
Hi Rob49 - I think the question has been answered - X5 only has enough memory onboard for the OS, and can take microSD cards, apparently up to 128GB each. I've only got 64GB cards, which is enough for me for now, though I am interested in hearing of experiences with the 128GB cards. I know James/Joe have confirmed that the X5 will handle the bigger cards, but I'll be waiting for the price to calm down a bit.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #5,849 of 19,652
  Hi Rob49 - I think the question has been answered - X5 only has enough memory onboard for the OS, and can take microSD cards, apparently up to 128GB each. I've only got 64GB cards, which is enough for me for now, though I am interested in hearing of experiences with the 128GB cards. I know James/Joe have confirmed that the X5 will handle the bigger cards, but I'll be waiting for the price to calm down a bit.

Yes, I'm kind of disappointed that it doesn't have it's own memory, especially when you're spending £289, on a product you can't use, unless you buy microSD cards !!

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #5,850 of 19,652

Users who are viewing this thread

Back