The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 1, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #4,846 of 19,652
I have a question for those who have handled both the X3 and X5...

If you intended to use only the Coaxial Out (SPDIF), bypassing both the DAC and the amp, which would you buy, independent of price, and why?

Thanks!

Mike

I would still take the X5 for the extra storage.

Thanks, skalkman,

That's a good point, but I'm used to carrying multiple 64GB cards, so does the additional $150 (for X5 coaxial out vs. X3 coaxial out) get me anything more than an extra card reader?

Much appreciated,

Mike

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #4,847 of 19,652
Thanks, skalkman,

That's a good point, but I'm used to carrying multiple 64GB cards, so does the additional $150 (for X5 coaxial out vs. X3 coaxial out) get me anything more than an extra card reader?

Much appreciated,

Mike

Easier and better UI comes to my mind. Easy user experience is something very valuable in dap world
happy_face1.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #4,848 of 19,652
Easier and better UI comes to my mind. Easy user experience is something very valuable in dap world :happy_face1:

That's valuable, especially for a whiner like me. :wink:

I've heard the X3 UI is slower to scroll, but what specifically makes the X5 UI worth the $150 difference (when coaxial out is the intent)?

Thanks again!

Mike

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #4,850 of 19,652
Thanks, skalkman,

Much appreciated,

Mike

I would say DSD support is a good plus as well. Good for non amped use when you want it. Better resale than x3. Bragging rites. Cool factor. Elitist smugness for a reason. Better user interface. X3 is so 2013. Less regret thinking about how much better the x5 probably is. Less upgrade fever when x7 or calyx m2 arrives.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #4,851 of 19,652
Any thoughts on how the X5 compares as a DAC to the Musicstreamer II? I'm thinking of selling the MS II to help finance the X5 and wonder if the X5 would be an adequate replacement for my home stereo setup.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #4,852 of 19,652
Mike, you just might like the sound of the X5 on its own sometimes too. Call that the bonus factor.

I would say DSD support is a good plus as well. Good for non amped use when you want it. Better resale than x3. Bragging rites. Cool factor. Elitist smugness for a reason. Better user interface. X3 is so 2013. Less regret thinking about how much better the x5 probably is. Less upgrade fever when x7 or calyx m2 arrives.

Thanks guys!

I'll wait for the X5 (and a few firmware upgrades).

:)

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #4,853 of 19,652
  Any thoughts on how the X5 compares as a DAC to the Musicstreamer II? I'm thinking of selling the MS II to help finance the X5 and wonder if the X5 would be an adequate replacement for my home stereo setup.

Can't say how it compares to the Musicstreamer II but I have used it so many times connecting the X5 to my PC and Mac and can say, it's a hell of a player, you can't find a player with so much functionality, not only does it work well, it s a true champion, you can throw at it any resolutions up to the max and it won't hiccup but render the music just as how it would off the player, just a beautiful sound. I like to just use it to play my server music library through it and connect my headphones on the HO, control the volume through the player and I am in heaven, music heaven.
biggrin.gif

This player has brought my expectation way up, now anything I would want buy has to be better than the X5 which is becoming a tall order.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #4,855 of 19,652
Looks like X5 doesn't have built in memory based on spec sheet.

Can some else confirm this?

I thought it would but it doesn't look like it.

Thanks!

There is no accesible memory, however there is memory for the filesystem of course :)

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #4,856 of 19,652
  Looks like X5 doesn't have built in memory based on spec sheet.

Can some else confirm this?

I thought it would but it doesn't look like it.

Thanks!

That is correct.

Unlike the X3, which can be bought for $160-$200 and features a more mainstream market(I believe), the X5 would be more targeted towards those that would buy their own mSD cards.

It's not 100% confirmed, but there is a good chance the X5 will soon be able to support 256GB of storage. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #4,860 of 19,652
Hi all 
         I was wondering if anyone has tried the x5 with harder to drive headphones like say dt880-dt990 250 Ohms.
I am currently using a fiio e17 and 5th gen ipod for my portable setup and essence st and little dot mk3 for my desktop.
While I,m sure that an x5 will beat my e17 /ipod  in sound quality wise I would be interested to know if the x5 amp section would power my 250 ohm headphones any better than my e17 which does sound pretty good but not great .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back