The Fiio X5 Thread
Oct 8, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #12,931 of 19,652
  I love my X5 / E12, can listen for hours.  The only negative would be battery life.  I put the screen brightness and screen time at minimum to maximize the life.

How long do you use it? The playtime is more then 10 hours for both. I've never used it such a long time without breaks.

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #12,933 of 19,652
I guess 10+ hours are enough for every use mode. 

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #12,935 of 19,652

Yes, and it's best to top up the battery in between to keep the battery healthy

I should just remain silent as a noob in here at least until I've graduated to being able to load Playlist into my X5, but...
blink.gif

I know less than half of nothing about DAP battery life. However...if they're using anything remotely similar to the Li-ion's in laptops, it's typically recommended to only run full charge/discharge cycles occasionally to calibrate. That it's best to keep the charge between 20%-80%...though even if that's actually possible to monitor in the Menu...it's a major pain in the backside. I also believe that that mind set is geared more towards battery Lifetime rather than battery life during use.

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #12,936 of 19,652
I should just remain silent as a noob in here at least until I've graduated to being able to load Playlist into my X5, but... :blink:

I know less than half of nothing about DAP battery life. However...if they're using anything remotely similar to the Li-ion's in laptops, it's typically recommended to only run full charge/discharge cycles occasionally to calibrate. That it's best to keep the charge between 20%-80%...though even if that's actually possible to monitor in the Menu...it's a major pain in the backside. I also believe that that mind set is geared more towards battery Lifetime rather than battery life during use.

Correct info on Li-ion batteries. Good advice.

Oct 9, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #12,937 of 19,652
I use the Anker Astro Pro3 10,000 mAh battery pack strapped to the X5 - with rare exceptions.  

It adds weight and bulk but, at the very least, even if you don't want the battery attached full time, carrying it with you allows recharging in the field, so that you're less likely to kill the X5's internal battery by routinely deep cycling it.

It turns out that for any given load (for any given amount of current that you pull from a battery), routinely taking the battery to 100% depth of discharge will cause that battery to die (for lack of a better word) in far less than half as many cycles compared to routinely taking it to only 50% depth of discharge.  

And if you routinely take the battery to only 25% depth of discharge, you will find that the battery will survive far more than twice as many cycles as routinely taking it to 50% depth of discharge.  

In other words, shallow cycling between fully recharging the battery can yield many more charge cycles than a linear proportion would suggest.  

And there are many 5V external battery packs out there to choose from - larger and smaller than the Anker Astro Pro3.

Still, it's a perfectly valid choice, for the sake of convenience, to deep cycle the X5's internal battery to your heart's content, then when it dies an earlier death, send it back and pay to have the battery replaced or just toss the X5 in the trash and order a new one.  Money = Convenience.  

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #12,938 of 19,652
I use the Anker Astro Pro3 10,000 mAh battery pack strapped to the X5 - with rare exceptions.  

It adds weight and bulk but, at the very least, even if you don't want the battery attached full time, carrying it with you allows recharging in the field, so that you're less likely to kill the X5's internal battery by routinely deep cycling it.

It turns out that for any given load (for any given amount of current that you pull from a battery), routinely taking the battery to 100% depth of discharge will cause that battery to die (for lack of a better word) in far less than half as many cycles compared to routinely taking it to only 50% depth of discharge.  

And if you routinely take the battery to only 25% depth of discharge, you will find that the battery will survive far more than twice as many cycles as routinely taking it to 50% depth of discharge.  

In other words, shallow cycling between fully recharging the battery can yield many more charge cycles than a linear proportion would suggest.  

And there are many 5V external battery packs out there to choose from - larger and smaller than the Anker Astro Pro3.

Still, it's a perfectly valid choice, for the sake of convenience, to deep cycle the X5's internal battery to your heart's content, then when it dies an earlier death, send it back and pay to have the battery replaced or just toss the X5 in the trash and order a new one.  Money = Convenience.  

I agree... Except the tossing part, come on man, the X5 is too good for the bin! :p

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #12,939 of 19,652
I think the battery won't be that hard to change, once the video on how to open the x5 is released (or someone opens one up and film's the deed).

The main issue is the glueing together of the unit (I'm not fan of this but it would keep curious minds away and sticky fingers out) but once open the battery change over should be a 10 minute job, and plug and play.

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #12,941 of 19,652
I think the battery won't be that hard to change, once the video on how to open the x5 is released (or someone opens one up and film's the deed).

The main issue is the glueing together of the unit (I'm not fan of this but it would keep curious minds away and sticky fingers out) but once open the battery change over should be a 10 minute job, and plug and play.

Basically the back plate is a really thick sticker, you can use a spatula or something to get it off. Battery has a connector. Hardest part would be to get a replacement battery probably.

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #12,942 of 19,652
Basically the back plate is a really thick sticker, you can use a spatula or something to get it off. Battery has a connector. Hardest part would be to get a replacement battery probably.

I heard that it is possible to email Fiio and ask them to ship one (or to ship back the X5 for that); I think this was mentioned much earlier in this thread.

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #12,943 of 19,652
Like 90% off topic, but can anyone make a suggestion for a decent 3000mAh or so battery thats lipstick sized for charging the X5 or a phone? Something I can easily put in a pocket with them and a short cable. There are a ton of options, but I'm clueless about which companies are reliable.

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #12,944 of 19,652
Like 90% off topic, but can anyone make a suggestion for a decent 3000mAh or so battery thats lipstick sized for charging the X5 or a phone? Something I can easily put in a pocket with them and a short cable. There are a ton of options, but I'm clueless about which companies are reliable.

Is that a spare 3000 mAh battery for your FiiO X5 DAP in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? :D

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #12,945 of 19,652

This will be useful in the future, when the battery's capacity cuts in half. Just buy a battery and replace, a new X5 !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back