The Fiio X5 Thread
Sep 27, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #1,246 of 19,652

lol, yes, I was waiting for James to post these...
Really wish the screen can be bigger, but they have tried their best. It is hard to get the right size IPS screen.

I wish the UI would fit the whole screen... but no biggie 
dt880smile.png

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #1,247 of 19,652

Ah, really? I thought you're just teasing everyone not posting the pics the whole day. My bad.
And yeah, a bigger screen would be better but I honestly prefer a good screen even if smaller and I know how hard it is to get good screens if you're not making big production runs and factory orders and Fiio probably got lucky to even get that good IPS screens even if slightly smaller.

yes, that is our situation. or you find some stocked screen, or you pay a lots of money to custom a screen from Sharp or some other big company, and that is not the point, the point is you have to promise you will order 500,000 to 1,000,0000 pcs screen per year. 

this is out of our ability. so or we can do is 

1, find some stocked screen and the quantity is big enough for us. in fact, the screen in X5 is used in blackberry 9100 and there are 1kk pcs stocked and we already purchased 100K , there are only 40% screen can meet our quality standard. 

2, keep the same screen as X3, but without IPS and the resolution is too small ( 240*320 vs 360*400 in X5). 

and all the screen manufacturer are busy in producing the big screen for smartphone ( 4.3 to 5.9 ) and tables ( 7 to 12 " ) and some very small screen for Watch ( 1.5 to 2.0 ), none are interesting to make screen for this small market. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 28, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #1,249 of 19,652
Sep 28, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #1,250 of 19,652
 there are only 40% screen can meet our quality standard. 

Hi James, what does it mean? Are those screen with lots of dead pixels or maybe other issues?

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #1,251 of 19,652
 library browsing where instead of file names, it should be listing the music title instead and according to the track number in the tags.

you can sound as good as angels singing but if the UI sucks i wouldn't buy it.

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #1,252 of 19,652
   library browsing where instead of file names, it should be listing the music title instead and according to the track number in the tags.

you can sound as good as angels singing but if the UI sucks i wouldn't buy it.

Or you can just name your files correctly. Listing the music files by their name instead of tag is not something that makes the UI suck - it just means that you're lazy and don't organize and name your music properly IMO.

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #1,253 of 19,652
Or you can just name your files correctly. Listing the music files by their name instead of tag is not something that makes the UI suck - it just means that you're lazy and don't organize and name your music properly IMO.

please, i used to own the cowon d2 and hence have my collection is properly named.
it is not an excuse when cheap players below 50 bucks can have that function.

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #1,255 of 19,652
please, i used to own the cowon d2 and hence have my collection is properly named.
it is not an excuse when cheap players below 50 bucks can have that function.

Oh come on, this has been already discussed in the Audiophile DAP thread. Cowon is a lot bigger company with a lot more resources than these small Chinese DAP manufacturers. It's also a lot easier to get proper software support for cheap DAPs with big production runs than niche players. It's one thing to be making 5000 units with limited numbers of consumers interested in them and totally different to be making consumer-oriented players like sansa and cowon with hundreds of thousand of units produced. For one, with small production runs and chips like sigmatel and rockchip you rely on the software engineers from the respective chip company to work on the software and they aren't that interested to put much work into something that has so limited consumers.

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #1,256 of 19,652

And not properly tagging your files is not lazy? 

Of course, both are lazy. But if you've been using more Chinese DAPs you'd know that if you've sorted the file names properly you won't be complaining that the UI sucks. And also I've had issues with a lot of players reading properly all tags on different file formats, so for me keeping the file names in check is more important.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #1,259 of 19,652

Oh come on, this has been already discussed in the Audiophile DAP thread. Cowon is a lot bigger company with a lot more resources than these small Chinese DAP manufacturers. It's also a lot easier to get proper software support for cheap DAPs with big production runs than niche players. It's one thing to be making 5000 units with limited numbers of consumers interested in them and totally different to be making consumer-oriented players like sansa and cowon with hundreds of thousand of units produced. For one, with small production runs and chips like sigmatel and rockchip you rely on the software engineers from the respective chip company to work on the software and they aren't that interested to put much work into something that has so limited consumers.

thank God watch makers don't think that way, or those limited production watches would suck greatly.
If Cowon's market is big, Fiio's market would be even bigger.

Of course, both are lazy. But if you've been using more Chinese DAPs you'd know that if you've sorted the file names properly you won't be complaining that the UI sucks. And also I've had issues with a lot of players reading properly all tags on different file formats, so for me keeping the file names in check is more important.

well i tag and name all my files correctly, maybe i am just anal that a new DAP on the market has a UI worst then that 5 years ago. I don't have any issues so far with my players reading my tags correctly.

lets end this peacefully, i get your point and you get mine :) 
i hope the X5 will implement what i want.

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #1,260 of 19,652
  thank God watch makers don't think that way, or those limited production watches would suck greatly.
If Cowon's market is big, Fiio's market would be even bigger.

well i tag and name all my files correctly, maybe i am just anal that a new DAP on the market has a UI worst then that 5 years ago. I don't have any issues so far with my players reading my tags correctly.

lets end this peacefully, i get your point and you get mine :) 
i hope the X5 will implement what i want.

I'm sorry, but comparison with watch makers is not valid in any way. My other hobby aside from audio gear is watches. And there is a huge market for expensive and boutique watches and people pay huge huge bucks for them all over the world. It's not a niche market at all coz pretty much every man who's not living in a third world country has at least one nice dress watch unlike the limited number of people interested in carrying a separate DAP from their phone or actually paying more than their phones for it. I'm pretty sure that if you start paying $3-10k (what's the price for most watches that aren't bang for buck brands) for these Chinese DAPs you'll get good software support as they'll have the extra money to pay for good software engineers.

And it was already said these are Chinese audiophile DAPs, so their UI isn't worst than this of Chinese audiophile DAPs from 5 years ago. You're again comparing it to Western UI. 

As it has been said many times no one is forcing anyone to buy such a DAP, so there's no need to complain about it. You want useful UI - you get an apple, sony, sansa etc. And if you want better sound you can complain to the these companies to give you better sound coz they have the resources to make it happen and will be much easier than complaining to small Chinese companies to give you something they can't afford or lack the manpower and time to do. 

But, yeah no need to argue about that - it's a matter of personal choice. Someone like James from Fiio will make anything possible to make their product as good as they can and can afford, so while he may pay attention to the wishes and advice from people here he still has limited resources to make this happen, so even if everyone on head-fi cries about it, this situation won't change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back