The Fiio X5 Thread
Sep 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #1,036 of 19,652
Quote:
24/192 is meaningless if the implementation is ****.

A well designed 16/44.1KHz dac would sound better than sloppily designed latest greatest 32/384KHz dac.

Thanks a ton, Cap. Anyway, there mus be a reason why FiiO and others implement true 24/192 output, there must be well-implemented hi-res DACs out there, and there must be some 'phones that would help you hear the difference. So there must be some sense in having that in mind when you're building your rig.

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #1,038 of 19,652
Quote:
Industry pressure / expectations / marketing

You forgot “because they could”: almost any quality DAC chip nowadays does 24/192 
wink.gif
 And the possibility that there is a difference between a well implemented 16/44 and a well implemented 24/48. Or 96. Or 192.
And since we're living in a world where future is coming fast and products of tremendous value emerge, I don't see why anyone developing anything audiophile today would not provide hi-res compatibility.

Edit: Then again, if you guys meant that the LG G2 itself probably won't sound as great as the 24/192 would suggest, I totally see your point. If it's able to feed 24/192 to an external DAC, however, that might come in handy.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #1,039 of 19,652
Quote:
James said that X5 will come in Coaxial out instead of Optical out. Both are digital output to encode in SPDIF format. In order to connect the X5 to M8LX, you will need a converter like this: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Coaxial-Toslink-Optical-Converter/dp/B001622FL8

Honestly, I think let's not bother to use the converter. Another possible option is for the X5 to send USB audio out like an andorid phone so that you can hook up the M8 LX with, but I don't think James would like to complicate the firmware as much. Either way,  I think it is not end of the world to live without M8 LX which is hardly portable to begin with.

@James Fiio.

As a Hifi-M8 owner, yes please.

OTG out to USB-B cable please!

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #1,042 of 19,652
Quote:
USB would be best then it would work with all versions of Hifi-M8.

I agree so both are ok for me. Let us hope JamesFiiO and his team reconsider those options and put them at least one of them (maybe both).

Hifi M8 is a game changer and I will get it to use with my laptop and a DAP. I don't want/like Apple and their products as well as their attitude in the market. AK is extremely overpriced and I won't play their game either. FiiO and James always listen to us and give what we need. Remember how X3 was born. So one more time I am believing they will consider us in here. They don't ripoff their customers and they are always helpful. If anybody can do it, it will be James and his team I believe.

Hope that he will drop here soon and read our posts
happy_face1.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #1,043 of 19,652
At first, I was crazy about the possibility of connecting X5 to Centrance M8 LX so that I can have a very powerful "portable" unit. However as I continue to search and upgrade portable DAP, I came to appreciate that developing an audiophile DAP which pleases most people and drives effectively most iem/ciem/headphones are already a very demanding job to accomplish. Let's hope that X5 alone will reach a higher SQ level without sacrificing the portability nor complicating with non-essential features like wifi... Also, the market is not short of great desktop units.

A DAP with long battery life, excellent sound quality, intuitive UI, reasonable pricing, extensive audio formats support, portable form factor and excellent build quality is in fact non-existent in the market

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #1,044 of 19,652
Quote:
At first, I was crazy about the possibility of connecting X5 to Centrance M8 LX so that I can have a very powerful "portable" unit. However as I continue to search and upgrade portable DAP, I came to appreciate that developing an audiophile DAP which pleases most people and drives effectively most iem/ciem/headphones are already a very demanding job to accomplish. Let's hope that X5 alone will reach a higher SQ level without sacrificing the portability nor complicating with non-essential features like wifi... Also, the market is not short of great desktop units.

A DAP with long battery life, excellent sound quality, intuitive UI, reasonable pricing, extensive audio formats support, portable form factor and excellent build quality is in fact non-existent in the market

I've no doubt the X5 will be of a tremendous value as a stand-alone player, and to a lot of people a great part of its appeal is its great portability. Yet it cannot power every set of cans on the planet; James himself recommends using E12 with the X3 in some cases, and the X5's amp section is supposed to have less power than the X3's one. So better connectivity would only increase its value.
And frankly, the reason we want TOSLINK here so badly is that the yet-to come X5 is our only visible hope of getting a well-designed hi-res optical source for certain products. The X3 is out, the DX50 is in preorder so the specs are long set, other players are expensive or pretty bulky or underfeatured (like the old iRivers), or smartphones :)
And yes, omitting coaxial input was a questionable choice on CEntrance's part, and maybe they'll offer it as an option in the future, but a lot of people will have the first-gen LX by then and there might be other DAC out there with great SQ and not-so-well-thought-out connectivity. Not everyone shows as much foresight as FiiO (yes, I'm down to outright flattery now 
biggrin.gif
).

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #1,045 of 19,652
Quote:
I've no doubt the X5 will be of a tremendous value as a stand-alone player, and to a lot of people a great part of its appeal is its great portability. Yet it cannot power every set of cans on the planet; James himself recommends using E12 with the X3 in some cases, and the X5's amp section is supposed to have less power than the X3's one. So better connectivity would only increase its value.
And frankly, the reason we want TOSLINK here so badly is that the yet-to come X5 is our only visible hope of getting a well-designed hi-res optical source for certain products. The X3 is out, the DX50 is in preorder so the specs are long set, other players are expensive or pretty bulky or underfeatured (like the old iRivers), or smartphones :)
And yes, omitting coaxial input was a questionable choice on CEntrance's part, and maybe they'll offer it as an option in the future, but a lot of people will have the first-gen LX by then and there might be other DAC out there with great SQ and not-so-well-thought-out connectivity. Not everyone shows as much foresight as FiiO (yes, I'm down to outright flattery now 
biggrin.gif
).

+1. I agree about the point that X5 is the only visible hope for that purpose. Well said hoichi. I think the same about other options for this connection has their huge disadvantages.

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #1,046 of 19,652
@ hoichi,

I don't remember James said that X5's amp section would have less power than that of X3. He probably said that X5 might not be as powerful as what they envisioned it to be (i.e., ~ 1.5 times more powerful than X3), so that longer battery life can be obtained -- but that does not mean that X5's amp will be less powerful than X3.

If I am mistaken, please correct me with a direct quote from James.

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #1,047 of 19,652
Quote:
@ hoichi,

I don't remember James said that X5's amp section would have less power than that of X3. He probably said that X5 might not be as powerful as what they envisioned it to be (i.e., ~ 1.5 times more powerful than X3), so that longer battery life can be obtained -- but that does not mean that X5's amp will be less powerful than X3.

If I am mistaken, please correct me with a direct quote from James.

Maybe you're right. Either way, I'm too lazy to sift through all the posts by James even in this thread alone (he might've said it in one of the X3 threads). And either way, my point stands: the X5 alone won't have enough power to properly drive the more power-hungry phones out there. So it will benefit from a nice beefy external amp.
Or a DAC/amp, as the case may be.

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #1,048 of 19,652
yes, I can confirmed that X5 may not have bigger power than x3 , maybe the power is the same as X3 . cause we found lots of X3's user bought X3 with E12 together. and we believe even we control the power output to 

200 - 250 mw, it already enough to drive all IEM, and for big cans, maybe E12 will be the best option .

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #1,049 of 19,652
Quote:
yes, I can confirmed that X5 may not have bigger power than x3 , maybe the power is the same as X3 . cause we found lots of X3's user bought X3 with E12 together. and we believe even we control the power output to 

200 - 250 mw, it already enough to drive all IEM, and for big cans, maybe E12 will be the best option .

James, is the X5's design already finished? Is it too late to hope you add TOSLINK output?

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #1,050 of 19,652
Quote:
James, is the X5's design already finished? Is it too late to hope you add TOSLINK output?

yes, but why you need a TOSLINK output, it is not suitable for portable use if you want to connect X5 to other portable DAC cause the cable is too hard 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back