The Fiio X5 Thread
Sep 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #1,021 of 19,652
Okay guys, I have a question.

This new Centrance Hifi-M8 LX, has Toslink optical input option.

So James said X5 will have digital out. I am not good at these terms, does it mean I can connect X5 to Hifi M8 LX? If not, is there a way to connect those devices?

Sorry for the noob question but it is better to ask and learn I guess.

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #1,022 of 19,652
Quote:
Okay guys, I have a question.

This new Centrance Hifi-M8 LX, has Toslink optical input option.

So James said X5 will have digital out. I am not good at these terms, does it mean I can connect X5 to Hifi M8 LX? If not, is there a way to connect those devices?

Sorry for the noob question but it is better to ask and learn I guess.

James said that X5 will come in Coaxial out instead of Optical out. Both are digital output to encode in SPDIF format. In order to connect the X5 to M8LX, you will need a converter like this: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Coaxial-Toslink-Optical-Converter/dp/B001622FL8

Honestly, I think let's not bother to use the converter. Another possible option is for the X5 to send USB audio out like an andorid phone so that you can hook up the M8 LX with, but I don't think James would like to complicate the firmware as much. Either way,  I think it is not end of the world to live without M8 LX which is hardly portable to begin with.

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #1,023 of 19,652
Quote:
James said that X5 will come in Coaxial out instead of Optical out. Both are digital output to encode in SPDIF format. In order to connect the X5 to M8LX, you will need a converter like this: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Coaxial-Toslink-Optical-Converter/dp/B001622FL8

Honestly, I think let's not bother to use the converter. Another possible option is for the X5 to send USB audio out like an andorid phone so that you can hook up the M8 LX with, but I don't think James would like to complicate the firmware as much. Either way,  I think it is not end of the world to live without M8 LX which is hardly portable to begin with.

Yes, the M8 is somewhat bulky, but I guess it beats a few DAC/DAP sandwiches, and, anyway, it looks pretty attractive as an all-round (trans)portable solution. So if the X5 could have an optical out at about $400 (hell, make it $450 
very_evil_smiley.gif
), that would make it the cheapest optical source for the M8, and probably the most attractive hi-res source all around. I know I would prefer a well-built dedicated DAP with a decent UI to any Android or iOS device, even as a pure digital transport.

And BTW, the HiFi-M8 itself features a combo 3.5-jack/TOSLINK output, so unless the PCB design on the X5 is finished it might still be time to add optical and make a win.

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #1,024 of 19,652
Quote:
Yes, the M8 is somewhat bulky, but I guess it beats a few DAC/DAP sandwiches, and, anyway, it looks pretty attractive as an all-round (trans)portable solution. So if the X5 could have an optical out at about $400 (hell, make it $450 
very_evil_smiley.gif
), that would make it the cheapest optical source for the M8, and probably the most attractive hi-res source all around. I know I would prefer a well-built dedicated DAP with a decent UI to any Android or iOS device, even as a pure digital transport.

And BTW, the HiFi-M8 itself features a combo 3.5-jack/TOSLINK output, so unless the PCB design on the X5 is finished it might still be time to add optical and make a win.

You have a point, sir. But I would also like to add that the budget for this setup (450 + 700 = 1150usd, not counting the cost of audiophile optical cable, balance rewiring on iem/headphones...). Let's hope that by the time X5 gets released, there will be a product in the market that is truly portable and produces as good the sound within this budget...

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #1,025 of 19,652
Okay so coaxial and optical things are different I got it. So I need a dap with optical out function like AK120.

I know that James didn't mention usb as audio port so it is out of question.

I was thinking for this setup.

X5 alone: Whenever I want to go light.

X5 + M8: Pure SQ rig but I need to carry a small bag with me all the time.

My laptop + M8: Home pleasure.

So M8 has a lot of nice features and options. On the output part, I can get 6.3 mm SE jack and RSA balanced headphone output on the same device. That would be useful. I would separate the ciems/headphones for home use (balanced) and on to go (single ended).

I already have my on to go ciem, SE5 way reference. For home use, I will get something in future.

Good thing about having only a few things, you can always consider balanced sound since you don't have to reterminate lots of cables and all.

If James can add optical out, I am all good. If not, it is still okay, there are plenty of other devices I can use with line out but then I need to get something for my laptop too. Hifi M8 could be all in one solution device that's why I am so interested.

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #1,026 of 19,652
Quote:
You have a point, sir. But I would also like to add that the budget for this setup (450 + 700 = 1150usd, not counting the cost of audiophile optical cable, balance rewiring on iem/headphones...). Let's hope that by the time X5 gets released, there will be a product in the market that is truly portable and produces as good the sound within this budget...

Well, AK120 or RW-AK100S come close, I guess, if your phones are easy enough do drive. But since I have my eyes on the (balanced) Aplha Dogs, I guess the M8 is about my only hope for an end-game setup 
biggrin.gif

(Not that I started the game much, but I'm not huge on acquiring a lot of gear. My life is cluttered enough as it is.)
And, yes, the DX100 is cheaper and might be on about the same SQ level but it doesn't double as an external soundcard.

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #1,027 of 19,652
Good luck hunting, guys.. both centrance and fiio listen to their customers attentively... I am sure something will come up in the future..

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #1,029 of 19,652
That's why I support FiiO and I would like to buy one of their products not something else.

One thing I just noticed when I was watching Jude's Centrance Hifi M8 video. He showed AK120 - M8 pair. If I didn't make a mistake I saw he paired AK120 headphone output to M8's optical in.

So Headphone output - Optical in can work without a problem? Again I am not familiar with those terms and all, I might be saying something so stupid but I think that's what I saw.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #1,031 of 19,652
Quote:
That's why I support FiiO and I would like to buy one of their products not something else.

One thing I just noticed when I was watching Jude's Centrance Hifi M8 video. He showed AK120 - M8 pair. If I didn't make a mistake I saw he paired AK120 headphone output to M8's optical in.

So Headphone output - Optical in can work without a problem? Again I am not familiar with those terms and all, I might be saying something so stupid but I think that's what I saw.

based on my brief experience with AK100, the optical out shares the same 3.5mm headphone out...

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #1,032 of 19,652
Quote:
based on my brief experience with AK100, the optical out shares the same 3.5mm headphone out...

Okay then. Still I don't like AK products at all. I would like to get one from FiiO. Come on James, do your miracle, give us X5 with optical output. You are the one who talks with us, listen to us and helps us. If you wouldn't be the game changer, nobody can.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #1,033 of 19,652
Quote:
Okay then. Still I don't like AK products at all. I would like to get one from FiiO. Come on James, do your miracle, give us X5 with optical output. You are the one who talks with us, listen to us and helps us. If you wouldn't be the game changer, nobody can.

Well, maybe Android devices learn to do hi-res USB Audio right and eat half of FiiO's and iBasso's lunch.
Still, I'd rather buy a real DAP over a smartphone or suchlike. Too much glassware for my taste 
tongue.gif

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #1,034 of 19,652
Quote:
Well, maybe Android devices learn to do hi-res USB Audio right and eat half of FiiO's and iBasso's lunch.
Still, I'd rather buy a real DAP over a smartphone or suchlike. Too much glassware for my taste 
tongue.gif

I don't like smartphones as dap's, they are horrible. LG G2 is going to support 24/192 but still I wouldn't pay for it and use it as a source. Real DAP is always the best option if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back