The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 28, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #7,861 of 19,652

Hi James

Thought I should ask you in the thread rather than via PM, hope you don't mind.

Do you expect that USB Hard Drives will be supported in the future? Would there be a problem with powered hard drives (eg the larger ones that are plugged into power and then USB to the device rather than USB powered)?

Thanks!

sorry not.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 28, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #7,863 of 19,652
So guys, any thought about SQ conclusion of newest X3 firmware vs X5 2.00 firmware, does X5 still get pawned with ver 2.00? Don't have X3, for myself but i think it's worth to hear this out

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #7,866 of 19,652
Imo 64gb otg mini usb stick is cheaper

Still thanks for info and effort

It is, but it's also bigger.  Different folks have different uses for the X5.  For me, it's part of my IFE (In Flight Entertainment) kit when I fly.  For me, lighter, smaller and fewer parts is better, as everything has to tuck into my Bose QC15 case.  A small adapter that plugs directly into the micro USB port is better than, for example, the OTG cable and USB microSD reader that comes with the X5, or a USB stick.  This little microSD reader is perfect for me.

As an aside, I notice that many people seem to think that the way they use their DAPs is the only way to use a DAP.  It's not. :)

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #7,867 of 19,652
Why do you need external hdds with portable.device?
Dont get crazy guys:)

So I can play all my music while at work, not just some of it. Loading up memory cards with FLACs takes time.
This was one of my main reasons for buying X5, thinking OTG would do this.
The drive is already powered so (not really knowing how external drive compatibility works) I didn't see any reason why not.

(no crazy bitrates just 16/44 FLAC for all of my many, many CDs)

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #7,869 of 19,652
  So I can play all my music while at work, not just some of it. Loading up memory cards with FLACs takes time.
This was one of my main reasons for buying X5, thinking OTG would do this.
The drive is already powered so (not really knowing how external drive compatibility works) I didn't see any reason why not.

(no crazy bitrates just 16/44 FLAC for all of my many, many CDs)

CD Flac Rip weighs about 380-420MB
dual 128GB+ 64gb would take 320GB and probably over 700 CDs as FLAC Rips
Do you really have over 1000 CDs? :) not bad, dude

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #7,870 of 19,652
  CD Flac Rip weighs about 380-420MB
dual 128GB+ 64gb would take 320GB and probably over 700 CDs as FLAC Rips
Do you really have over 1000 CDs? :) not bad, dude

Some of us collect live music and a 3 hour show is over 1 GB.  I currently have 5,447 GB (about 14,800 hours) of flacced and tagged music and add 25-100GB a week.  would love to see external drives supported

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #7,871 of 19,652
Just a thought, in situations where you have access to powered external drives doesn't that mean you're very likely to have access to a computer as well? Why not use the USB dac function instead?

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #7,873 of 19,652
Dropbox link for firmware 2.00 with translated changelog
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejr4hpskrxeuylt/X5-FW2.0.zip

There doesn't seem to be instructions for installing the new firmware in the changelog or anywhere else in the download. How do we correctly load the firmware?

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #7,874 of 19,652
Never mind, I found it in the X5 manual. I copied below for anyone else with the same question:

C. Firmware update
Firmware updates may update the player with new features and optimize the playback experience; if you are satisfied with the current firmware, it is not necessary to upgrade it. The unit supports firmware upgrades via update files loaded into TF cards. 

Improper operation during firmware updates may cause the unit to malfunction! Please read the following instructions for firmware updates carefully before proceeding.

To check the current firmware version:
From the main menu, navigate to System Settings->Device and Storage Info to see the current firmware version loaded on your X5.

Precautions before firmware update:
•The TF card should preferably be a blank card of 32GB of capacity or under in FAT32 format.
•Make sure the X5 is adequately charged (preferably fully charged) for the update process to prevent power failure during the update;
•Do not operate other buttons and dials on the player during the update process.
•If the update process fails, hold the power button for 10 seconds for a forced shutdown and turn the player on in update mode again to resume the update.

Summary of TF card upgrade procedure:
1.Copy the x5.fw file provided by FiiO into the root directory of a TF card in FAT32 format;
2.Turn off the X5 and insert the TF card into slot 1 of the X5;
3.Hold the power button while holding the Shortcuts key (upper left key of the X keygroup) to turn on the X5 in firmware update mode. The following firmware update dialogs will appear and after the update is complete, the player will restart automatically.
•After the update process is complete, please delete the x5.fw file from the TF card and update the media library. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back