The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 8, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #6,316 of 19,652

If you have each album in a folder the X5 will read it just fine.....The unit is wonderful.  Gapless needs a bit of work, but hey its new, and the fix is just an upgrade of FW.  Now you know that will happenI have re-discovered two dozen pairs of headphones.

ENJOY! Then if you want to sell it............NO PROBLEM!

If you have each album in a folder the X5 will read it just fine.....The unit is wonderful.  Gapless needs a bit of work, but hey its new, and the fix is just an upgrade of FW.  Now you know that will happenI have re-discovered two dozen pairs of headphones.

Oh ok, so 5800 songs in one folder is a problem, I'll be ok then since I seperate all my albums into seperate folders, good to know since my 128 GB cards should be arriving soon.

Not sure. Bebop Lives, can you confirm if you're referring to the potential limit on the number of files?

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #6,318 of 19,652

Oh ok, so 5800 songs in one folder is a problem, I'll be ok then since I seperate all my albums into seperate folders, good to know since my 128 GB cards should be arriving soon.

I too have each album in a folder and they may be under one name, ie; MILES DAVIS, and then 20 titles, each title in a folder.  I have never used 128mb cards, However, I used both 32gb, and 64gb format in fat32.  The Audio is Marvelous!  Listened to a Miles album done in 1959, Kind Of Blue......Yes, it was remixed, but the musicians are all dead now.  The beauty of the music lives on.  The X5  does it justice.

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #6,319 of 19,652

Ah ok, it is only for 5800 songs in one folder?  Ok, that's a relief.

As for gapless and tag-related navigation goes - I am not exactly holding my breath.  This has been an issue all the way from the start, so I am not sure where this confidence that "it will get fixed soon" is coming from.

The klutzy navigation interface I can deal with.

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #6,320 of 19,652
I could be wrong - but I'm pretty sure the file limit is across multiple folders - but only through the tagging system (ie scanning the file tags).  If you're browsing by folder, the limit doesn't apply.

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #6,321 of 19,652

I can not confirm file amount limits.  You have two sides 1, and 2, for micro sd cards.  I have a 64gig in one and a 32gb in the other.  Don't know how many files but they work fine set up as stated in my previous post.  Best wishes!

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #6,323 of 19,652
Probably not. Many of us from MP4Nation's 1st preorder batch are still waiting for them to get more units to ship for the rest of the first batch. I was told that they expected more units by the end of last week, but no word yet. If you are in US, I would try Head-Direct as they had some units shipped to them late last week and should be getting them in the next day or so. Try calling them in the morning.

The MP4Nation web site has the following text

The product is expected in stock by the end of 12/4/2014
Orders placed now will be for the stock arriving by 12/4/2014
As this is a preorder, delays may occur and the date shown is only for information, it may change without notice

Call them and aks, you might be lucky.

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #6,324 of 19,652
  I could be wrong - but I'm pretty sure the file limit is across multiple folders - but only through the tagging system (ie scanning the file tags).  If you're browsing by folder, the limit doesn't apply.

In that case, back to "oh crap".   Browsing by folder doesnt work for me, as I listen primarily to classical music.    

That is a pretty major no-no IMO (as is lack of proper tagging-related functionality and gapless playback), and yet it gets barely a footnote here - are my preferences so far out of typical?

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #6,325 of 19,652
  So to sum up the bugs and serious shortcomings in the software which can be hopefully fixed in a firmware update:

- 5800 file limit in the database
- large volume differences between DSD and other formats
- lack of ReplaGain or mp3gain/aacgain support (could also help with the DSD issue above)
- gapless playback not working properly
- better handling of tags (unclear what exactly is the issue here, and how to fix it)
- folder view issues (also unclear)

Anything I've missed?

1, There are limited for the sum of files in the database, it can't be unlimited. and as we know, X5 already do better than some expensive DAP.

2, It is a bug of the beta version, don't forge me closed the beta version to you guys cause it may let other people misunderstand the situation.. btw, we are testing 1.22beta and this problem is fixed.

3, Will not support mp3gain.

4, Need time to improve cause the gapless playback need more resource .

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 8, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #6,326 of 19,652
Hi everyone, I received my x5 from ea audio in the uk very quickly (after pre-ordering) and have had it a week. I am very pleased with the sound and compared with my ipod classic 5.5g using an external voyager amp, the x5 headphone out with se530 is much better, more rounded, musical and fluid with better retrieval of details - I find it performs better with an external amp with my nad hp50 and I prefer a rotary volume control - so for portable (on-the-go) i use it without an external amp and iems and at home/garden/holiday with hp50, voyager.

For information, I tend to listen to vocal jazz (all eras - so some challenged recordings!) and blues with some soul/gospel and occasional folk/roots etc.

My only regrets are that it does not support the following:

1. replaygain
2. rockbox
3. crossfeed (I know I can buy an e12 for this)
4. I find the equalizer limited and would prefer just a bass boost (as in rockbox settings)

I found the UI interesting to begin with and a little challenging but once I altered the language and became used to it, it works for me and while shuffle is not really going to work for me - without replaygain, I find that I have changed my listening to albums (in folders) which I like as it makes me concentrate on the artist rather than flit from track to random track.

I do not like gapless playback as I want a pause between tracks which the x5 gives but interesting rockbox didn't.

I do not find the limit on tracks a problem as I can use my laptop portably and I like to copy new music/music I want to listen to now to the dap, rewriting the cards whenever I need. I also find that managing a large library on a dap is tedious and just using a small library makes finding the album/artist much easier and I keep my full library on my laptop/desktop/backup external hard disc.

My only question at this stage is if an e12 is the best amp. and does it add anything (other than bass boost/crossfeed) to the sound. Also will it work well with sensitive iem (se530) and allow a reasonable range of volume control and do the same for full-size headphones like the hp50/shure srh840

thanks

david

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #6,327 of 19,652

1, There are limited for the sum of files in the database, it can't be unlimited. and as we know, X5 already do better than some expensive DAP.

2, It is a bug of the beta version, don't forge me closed the beta version to you guys cause it may let other people misunderstand the situation.. btw, we are testing 1.22beta and this problem is fixed.

3, Will not support mp3gain.

4, Need time to improve cause the gapless playback need more resource .

Awww man :frowning2:

Apr 8, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #6,329 of 19,652
Will this be able to power up a pair of Sennheiser HD 600 on its on? By power i mean fully. My iPod Classic worked fine but half the time i had to keep the volume on maximum and even't that wasn't enough. 

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #6,330 of 19,652

For real?  Damn.   So they make a player that can take 256GB of music, but then limit it to approx 600 albums worth of music?     And tagging and gapless still remain issues?

*sigh*  I only have myself to blame for ordering this unit so quickly.   I just needed a large-capacity player asap.

Same here. My current DAP was dying and I couldn't enjoy my music anymore and off all the upcoming DAPs the X5 came out first.
So wait, what is the point of accepting 256 GB if you can't play all your music with it, I haven't been following the conversation about the file limit, is that something that is a bug or a limit for everyone's X5???

You can play them all if you use the Folder view. But for people with large collections using the database is easier and more logical. However the database can only index 5800 songs. I have over 8000 and every time I update the media database it says, 5800 files were found or whatever the correct wording is but the 5800 number doesn't change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back