The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 7, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #6,286 of 19,652
OK, here is another "I just got my x5" post. I have not played with the UI enough to form an opinion. My very early impression is that I can live with it just fine.

Overall, I really like the x5. The sound is very clean and detailed. It is however, even better when played through my iFi Nano iCan amp. Adding the amp gives significantly stronger but still very clean bass. I don't think the bass is over boosted with this pairing (EQ flat on x5, no bass boost on iCan). Rather, I think it is appropriate and sounds very good. My comparison is a calibrated home theater set up with a subwoofer.

One bit of advice, as others have said make sure you format your memory card before you transfer music to it. I wasted an hour+ transferring music without formatting my SD card only to discover that the x5 couldn't read it. I then formatted the card in the x5, went through the copying again and now all is well.

Here is another tip for folks with big music libraries. Get a fast SD card (at least 20 MB/sec write speed) and a USB3 card reader for your computer. Transfers will be 5x to 10x faster than going through the x5 or using a USB2 card reader.

Cheers

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #6,287 of 19,652
  Here is another tip for folks with big music libraries. Get a fast SD card (at least 20 MB/sec write speed) and a USB3 card reader for your computer. Transfers will be 5x to 10x faster than going through the x5 or using a USB2 card reader.

That's a great tip, irablumberg, and one I forgot to mention myself.  I've got USB 3.0 ports on my desktop and bought a USB 3.0 card reader from eBay for just a couple of bucks.  It made really fast work of transferring all of my music.

Am I the only one who is truly astounded that I could fit 300+ albums of lossless music on two of these tiny little cards?  I first got into portable music in the mid-70s, when I used to bring a Panasonic "portable" cassette player and a pair of Radio Shack headphones onto planes when I had to fly.  The whole set up weighed about 6 pounds and I always got strange looks when I used it.  Did I mention that the Panasonic was mono?  I absolutely love that I can have my entire music collection tucked into an X5 and, even with an E12 along for the ride, I can have my choice of anything I own in high-res audio.

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #6,288 of 19,652
So guys, if I order the X5 from Mp4nation. Do you guys think I'll have it within the next 10 days? I'm leaving the country on a extended trip and wondering if there is any place I can order from and have the X5 in my hands about 10 days from now... any other recommendations other than mp4nation?

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #6,289 of 19,652
I have tried the 1.21 beta firmware with the DSD function. My collection of DSF files play nicely without any glitches. Fantastic!

I think one ongoing problem with DSD is that it is often recorded -6dB quieter than the equivalent PCM files, as a common industry practice (ever since the SACD days). Most DSD playback softwares (e.g. Audirvana) and SACD players boost the volume on the DSD files by by default, whereas others don't bother (e.g. Jriver).

With my headphones, if the PCM file plays at volume 70, the same track on DSD version needs over volume 90. It gives a huge fright when changing tracks from DSD to PCM. I wish if there is a simple way to adjust the replay gain automatically for DSD.

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #6,290 of 19,652
  I have tried the 1.21 beta firmware with the DSD function. My collection of DSF files play nicely without any glitches. Fantastic!

I think one ongoing problem with DSD is that it is often recorded -6dB quieter than the equivalent PCM files, as a common industry practice (ever since the SACD days). Most DSD playback softwares (e.g. Audirvana) and SACD players boost the volume on the DSD files by by default, whereas others don't bother (e.g. Jriver).

With my headphones, if the PCM file plays at volume 70, the same track on DSD version needs over volume 90. It gives a huge fright when changing tracks from DSD to PCM. I wish if there is a simple way to adjust the replay gain automatically for DSD.

oh wow that is troublesome. Thanks for the warning and saving my ears. Sadly still waiting on my x5 :frowning2:

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #6,291 of 19,652
  That's a great tip, irablumberg, and one I forgot to mention myself.  I've got USB 3.0 ports on my desktop and bought a USB 3.0 card reader from eBay for just a couple of bucks.  It made really fast work of transferring all of my music.

Am I the only one who is truly astounded that I could fit 300+ albums of lossless music on two of these tiny little cards?  I first got into portable music in the mid-70s, when I used to bring a Panasonic "portable" cassette player and a pair of Radio Shack headphones onto planes when I had to fly.  The whole set up weighed about 6 pounds and I always got strange looks when I used it.  Did I mention that the Panasonic was mono?  I absolutely love that I can have my entire music collection tucked into an X5 and, even with an E12 along for the ride, I can have my choice of anything I own in high-res audio.

I am shocked as well. Those cards are being produced for the sole intention that we will lose them so they can sell more of them. I know it be true!

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #6,296 of 19,652
No sorry.....just looking for a way that holds the two together...I have good cables.

If you go to Fiio's website, they have a new line of accessories for the X5.  One of these is a stacking kit that lets you pair the E12 to the X5 in a secure fashion.  However, it doesn't seem to be for sale yet.  I asked James here where I could get it, but he hasn't answered.

However . . . 

I'm using the same fix that I used to pair the E12 with my iPod: velcro.  I got 4 little velcro tabs and put them on the back of the E12 and the X5.  It's not elegant, but it works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back