The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 11, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #3,046 of 19,652
  All of them uses the same DAC WM8740. The only difference is possible difference would be the curcuit and for sure, the amp.

Not just the circuit and amp, but the various implementations of the circuit itself, along with amps, pre-amps, and how those are used, and implemented(if at all) in the device. FiiO for example typically uses a pre-amp before going to an output buffer or driving amplifier and what not. 

The WM8740 is very popular indeed. I am excited to see AK using the CS4398 in their new AK240 though.

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #3,047 of 19,652
i think ak's time is gonna be really bad after dx90 and x5 come out.
seems its highly overpriced based on good fluid interface and all reports suggest that x5 will have lag free interface this time.

plus ak240 at 2400$ is anoverkill for even ak fanboys

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #3,048 of 19,652
  i think ak's time is gonna be really bad after dx90 and x5 come out.
seems its highly overpriced based on good fluid interface and all reports suggest that x5 will have lag free interface this time.

plus ak240 at 2400$ is anoverkill for even ak fanboys

Unless if the AK240 has some sort of unreal hologram-like soundstage and promotes pin point accuracy, even for the mid tier headphones, then it will mostly worth its' price tag. Otherwise, I'm all in for the X5 or DX90 (mainly the X5). 

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #3,049 of 19,652

Unless if the AK240 has some sort of unreal hologram-like soundstage and promotes pin point accuracy, even for the mid tier headphones, then it will mostly worth its' price tag. Otherwise, I'm all in for the X5 or DX90 (mainly the X5). 

they are most probably charging for 256 gb capacity and additional card slot that can take in 64 gb making total of 320 gb.

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #3,050 of 19,652
  they are most probably charging for 256 gb capacity and additional card slot that can take in 64 gb making total of 320 gb.

We need to see the X5 Vs. AK240's Boot Up time. It would be a shame if the X5 is faster than the AK240 (For those who spent money on it, of course). 

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #3,051 of 19,652

We need to see the X5 Vs. AK240's Boot Up time. It would be a shame if the X5 is faster than the AK240 (For those who spent money on it, of course). 

even if  ak240 is faster,,,there needs to a diff of 1500$ in sound quality for ppl to consider it.

350$ is the actual price of x5 and rest 500$ is for additional storage that ak240 is giving.

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #3,052 of 19,652

even if  ak240 is faster,,,there needs to a diff of 1500$ in sound quality for ppl to consider it.

350$ is the actual price of x5 and rest 500$ is for additional storage that ak240 is giving.

If the X5 is close to the AK240's Sound Quality, the X5's price and quality may be just the biggest bargain I've ever encountered, that is if the AK240's SQ is golden. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #3,053 of 19,652
The AK 120 and AK 240 don't necessarily need to be superior in audio by the way. Many are missing the point about those units.

I'll be reviewing the AK 120 and X5 along with the Colorfly C4 in the comming month. I may be able to get a AK 240 (most likely not) but yeah.

I'll be releasing a VBLOG video on understanding the logic, and market behind the price and what a DAP should strive for etc etc when I do the shootout. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #3,054 of 19,652
price diff of 500$ is too difficult to ignore when the audio is same

All of them uses the same DAC WM8740. The only difference is possible difference would be the curcuit and for sure, the amp.

That is a layman's thinking. Just because the DAC is the same doesn't mean the audio is the same. Please do not judge if you have not own them, they have different characteristics.

I have had enough with all the AK bashing in practically all the threads because of the pricing. It's very tiresome to see a product being judged before anyone listened to the AK240 at all. You guys can gang up and open a AK bashing thread, please keep all the threads clean with appreciation and fair comparisons while leaving the price influence aside.

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #3,055 of 19,652
  The AK 120 and AK 240 don't necessarily need to be superior in audio by the way. Many are missing the point about those units.

I'll be reviewing the AK 120 and X5 along with the Colorfly C4 in the comming month. I may be able to get a AK 240 (most likely not) but yeah.

I'll be releasing a VBLOG video on understanding the logic, and market behind the price and what a DAP should strive for etc etc when I do the shootout. 

& I'll be selling popcorn during the show :D ITS GONNA BE INTERESTING! Shall wait for your good news! 

Each selling popcorn will be $2k/100g as I need funding for all the 3 DAPs :) thank you for your support. Click here to download it before it's too late! TOO LATE :D sorry :frowning2: 

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #3,056 of 19,652
That is a layman's thinking. Just because the DAC is the same doesn't mean the audio is the same. Please do not judge if you have not own them, they have different characteristics.

I have had enough with all the AK bashing in practically all the threads because of the pricing. It's very tiresome to see a product being judged before anyone listened to the AK240 at all. You guys can gang up and open a AK bashing thread, please keep all the threads clean with appreciation and fair comparisons while leaving the price influence aside.

no need to be so harsh mate.
when a dap costs 2400$,,,the points above are valid.it should blow other players away

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #3,057 of 19,652
no need to be so harsh mate.
when a dap costs 2400$,,,the points above are valid.it should blow other players away

Not being harsh, but the AK bashing is happening in every DAP thread and it's getting very annoying and tiring.
And it happens too often for the mods to moderate this guideline.
Likewise, please avoid trashing equipment you haven't used or aren't familiar with. Having doubts about something you see in a design is fair enough, but to quote Robert Pirsig: "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." So remember that you can derive satisfaction from listening with any audio gear as much from your appreciation of the design (whether how it looks or how it measures) as much as how it reproduces music

And as you and almost everyone has not heard the AK240, the bashing is unwarranted as there is no point to be valid in the first place.

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #3,058 of 19,652
all right fair enough.

anyone on price confirmation on x5??

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #3,059 of 19,652
Not being harsh, but the AK bashing is happening in every DAP thread and it's getting very annoying and tiring.
And it happens too often for the mods to moderate this guideline.

And as you and almost everyone has not heard the AK240, the bashing is unwarranted as there is no point to be valid in the first place.

Bashing is unwarranted... yes... but having an expectation that the thing should sound freaking awesome for the money is perfectly reasonable. I think that is the underlying point...

If it turns out this player is at the top of the tree by some margin then ... fabulous and well done and they deserve to sell lots of them for the price.... but if it is marginally better than the bevy of Mid priced Daps coming out then it is a different story... Where is the value in that case ?

I hope it's worth it because i am a very fussy listener with very high expectations... but i will most assuredly not be an early adopter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back