The Fiio X5 Thread
Feb 26, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #19,021 of 19,652
  The short answer is yes, an X5 would work just fine.   It has, with two 126GB cards ($45 ea. on Amazon) the capacity you need.  And with a proper cable  like this one on Amazon search  "Belkin Speaker and Headphone Splitter" (3.5 to RCA female) you can use your interconnects to go from the X5
head phone out to your amp's inputs (you will in all likelihood want to upgrade this $2.99 cable at some point, but it will get you started). 

I have been using my X5 and X3 in this capacity for almost a year now with what I think is great success.   Meaning I am entirely satisfied especially with it and especially with its upgrade ability to an outside DAC.   This means the X5 is transport (and also a portable player).   I have repeated posted for someone who has experience comparing SQ of the X5 as a coaxial  transport with the SQ of a good computer using the USB output..   There appear to be a number of issues that USB presents that require fixing which is both a bother and adds to the cost.  And I don't know the SQ is any better than what can be had off a very inexpensive X5 solution.

Hope you give the X5 classic a try.  It is only $229 on Amazon (though recall someone had them at $199), and IMO think they are better as a transport than the newer model the X5 II, i.e. the old version has a 3.5 mm out put versus the newer model's 2.5 mm.  I think the larger will be better in the long run.  

Good luck with your music.

Many thanks for your detailed response @taxiq I appreciate knowing the nuances of the two X5 models!

Cheers.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #19,022 of 19,652
  The short answer is yes, an X5 would work just fine.   It has, with two 126GB cards ($45 ea. on Amazon) the capacity you need.  And with a proper cable  like this one on Amazon search  "Belkin Speaker and Headphone Splitter" (3.5 to RCA female) you can use your interconnects to go from the X5
head phone out to your amp's inputs (you will in all likelihood want to upgrade this $2.99 cable at some point, but it will get you started). 

I have been using my X5 and X3 in this capacity for almost a year now with what I think is great success.   Meaning I am entirely satisfied especially with it and especially with its upgrade ability to an outside DAC.   This means the X5 is transport (and also a portable player).   I have repeated posted for someone who has experience comparing SQ of the X5 as a coaxial  transport with the SQ of a good computer using the USB output..   There appear to be a number of issues that USB presents that require fixing which is both a bother and adds to the cost.  And I don't know the SQ is any better than what can be had off a very inexpensive X5 solution.

Hope you give the X5 classic a try.  It is only $229 on Amazon (though recall someone had them at $199), and IMO think they are better as a transport than the newer model the X5 II, i.e. the old version has a 3.5 mm out put versus the newer model's 2.5 mm.  I think the larger will be better in the long run.  

Good luck with your music.

X5II has 3.5mm output on both line out, coaux out and headphone out. 

The difference is that line out and coaux out are shared on X5II. 

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #19,023 of 19,652
Hi newbie here trying to decide if it's worth upgrading my setup.
I'm currently using the fiio x1 with the the fiio E07k Andes portable DAC. I'm thinking of replacing both with the x5.
Is this worth doing? And am I better with the x5 first or second generation? Theres a good price difference between the two. (And I apologize if this was already mentioned elsewhere.

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #19,024 of 19,652
Hi newbie here trying to decide if it's worth upgrading my setup.
I'm currently using the fiio x1 with the the fiio E07k Andes portable DAC. I'm thinking of replacing both with the x5.
Is this worth doing? And am I better with the x5 first or second generation? Theres a good price difference between the two. (And I apologize if this was already mentioned elsewhere.

The FiiO X5 first gen is more analytical sounding compared to the E07K Andes.
If you seek better clarity, the X5 is the way to go. As the E07K from my experience is warmer and bassier, but isn't as refined, and refinement is minimal since the biggest change will be your headphone/earbuds/IEM.
If you seek different power outputs, the E07K is rated for:
250 mW @ 16 Ohms
220 mW @ 32 Ohms
36 mw @ 300 Ohms
The FiiO X5 is rated for:
460 mW @ 16 Ohms
255 mW @ 32 Ohms
28 mW @ 300 Ohms

So the question is, what are you going to be powering?

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #19,026 of 19,652
No.

Why did you get the Classic when you already have the II?

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #19,027 of 19,652
  Hi

I have a X5 (classic) new old stock on order, and also have an E12A that I used on a X5ii. Would I be better off getting an E17K than using the E12A?

Regards

Darren

Darren

What headphones will you be using with the combo, and what are you trying to get out of the amp?  Once you answer those two points, it'll be a lot easier to give you a proper answer.

For example - if all you are doing is looking to amplify the signal, and you're using relatively easy to drive headphones, then your E12A should be able to handle things fine.  Also - if you like the existing sound of the E12A, then why change?

However, if you were looking for:
 - and amp that could double as a pretty good dac with a driverless solution
 - more options for equalisation controls (tone controls base and treble) - I love the options they have
 - and basically the same driving power as your E12A

Then it that case, the E17K is definitely the better option.

So it all comes down to what your preferences are.

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #19,028 of 19,652
No.

I had a X5ii and upgraded to a Questyle QP1R. I then bought a bargain new old stock X5 for travel and the beach.

I think it was obvious that I no longer have a X5ii when I said "also have an E12A that I used on a X5ii". Note the word used!

Do you have any input as to my original question, or are you just having a pop because you didn't read my question properly and think I have both a X5ii and a X5?

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #19,029 of 19,652
No.

He's sold his X5ii - and why a straight "no" when we don't know what his actual needs are? 

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #19,030 of 19,652

He's sold his X5ii - and why a straight "no" when we don't know what his actual needs are? 

Hi Brooko

Thanks for your reply. I have Shure SRH1540 and Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 On-Ears. Just wondered if the DAC in the E17K would be much of an improvement on the X5's built-in DAC.

As it's only a travel/beach set-up, I'm not going to purchase an E17K if it's not much of an improvement over a E12A that I already have.

I have two 200GB cards in the Questyle QP1R that has everything (FLAC) I have on my laptop, so I don't need a DAC for my laptop. If I ever did, I could just use the X5 classic.

Regards

Darren

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #19,031 of 19,652
  Hi Brooko

Thanks for your answer and questions. I have Shure SRH1540 and Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 On-Ears. Just wondered if the DAC in the E17K would be much of an improvement on the X5's built-in DAC.

As it's only a travel/beach set-up, I'm not going to purchase an E17K if it's not much of an improvement over a E12A I already have.

Regards

Darren

Ah - Ok, so you're planning on going coax out from the X5 to coax in on the E17K (if you buy it) - so that you''re using the DAC on the E17K and the X5 just as transport. TBH, unless you're planning on using the tone controls in the E17K (I really like them, others may not), and unless you'd also use it as a DAC for say a lap-top or PC, then probably sticking with the E12A as your better bet. Why?  Simply because you'll still get the tonality you're used to simply running line-out to the E12A, they both have similar output power, and why spend the cost on features you're not using?

I'm a huge fan of the E17K, but in this particular instance probably best to stick with what you have :)

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #19,033 of 19,652
why a straight "no" when we don't know what his actual needs are? 

I'm efficient. And right, in this instance.

It seemed clear to me his interests lay in amplification and the capability of DACs. The X5 is a very capable DAC. The E12 is a very capable Amp. He doesn't seem like an idiot, so I felt confident there was no important, contradicting information he failed to present. Like, "Oh by the way, I bought a 600 Ohm headphone the E12A needs to drive."

:)

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #19,034 of 19,652
  Thanks for your answer Brooko. I'll see what the X5 classic/E12A sounds like and go from there.

I have a X5, an E12 and an E12A.  I find I enjoy the X5/E12A combo the most.  I have the X5ii also, it is good on it's own however, I like having the volume knob and the bass boost toggle of the E12/E12A so I pair up with the X5ii often.

I find E12A drives IEMs and most (not all) headphones well, E12 is mostly too powerful, except for for higher impedance and hard to drive headphones.  Plus I like the sound out of the E12A more.

YMMV,
r2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back