The Fiio X5 Thread
Feb 19, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #18,991 of 19,652
Well, my Chord Mojo arrived today, so of course my first instinct was to turn my X5 into a transport.  Reading through the connection posts for the Mojo, I remembered about @x RELIC x informing me that a standard 3.5mm interconnect will work (thanks for that!), so I decided to go the silly route and grab my short and inexpensive one that JDS Labs makes for $5.  With the two stacked, it's ever so slightly longer than the distance between the two ports, so lengthwise it's perfect.  If anyone wants to check it out for whatever X5 stack they have going, here's the link:  https://www.jdslabs.com/products/146/ultra-short-3-5mm-interconnect-cable/

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #18,992 of 19,652
  Well, my Chord Mojo arrived today, so of course my first instinct was to turn my X5 into a transport.  Reading through the connection posts for the Mojo, I remembered about @x RELIC x informing me that a standard 3.5mm interconnect will work (thanks for that!), so I decided to go the silly route and grab my short and inexpensive one that JDS Labs makes for $5.  With the two stacked, it's ever so slightly longer than the distance between the two ports, so lengthwise it's perfect.  If anyone wants to check it out for whatever X5 stack they have going, here's the link:  https://www.jdslabs.com/products/146/ultra-short-3-5mm-interconnect-cable/

Do you like your new setup?

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #18,993 of 19,652
How are you liking it Saoshyant?

If, down the road, you end up purchasing a 75 Ohm coaxial cable let us know if you hear any difference. At these lengths I doubt you will, but still....

:beerchug:

Feb 19, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #18,994 of 19,652
@Dobrescu George So far I'm really liking the level of detail the setup has with my HD700.  For a long time I was using a somewhat lower end setup using a Stoner Acoustics DAC, can't quite remember what it was called, and a Fiio E9i for my amp.  After the DAC died, I was using the X5, and with the current setup I have zero regrets.

@x RELIC x Will do, but I suspect I won't be going that route :)  Now I'm just waiting for an OTG cable from TTVJ.

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #18,995 of 19,652
Ha, I won't hold my breath Saoshyant, enjoy my friend!

:beerchug:

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #18,996 of 19,652

can share some photo of the stack with tht cable? :) thanks

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #18,999 of 19,652
@lurk Just checked, and it's pretty close, but the silicon cover causes no obstruction whatsoever, allowing the cable to move freely.  The added thickness the case provides means the stack is slightly off center, but not badly so.

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #19,000 of 19,652

Hi. I'm new here and hoping I can get some clarification on equipment. Currently, I have a library of nearly 600 albums loaded using Apple Lossless format in an iTunes library. Though I'm don't consider myself a hi-end audiophile, I do appreciate the nuances of investing in decent equipment. Currently, I listen to my music via a traditional 2-channel stereo (Outlaw Audio amp, Ascend Sierra-2 speakers, Veledyne sub). I'm looking for advice on the best means of playing the music in my library and I'd like to be able to access my full library (~185GB). Should I be looking at a decent quality DAP? Would the X5 be an appropriate investment?

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #19,001 of 19,652

Hi. I'm new here and hoping I can get some clarification on equipment. Currently, I have a library of nearly 600 albums loaded using Apple Lossless format in an iTunes library. Though I'm don't consider myself a hi-end audiophile, I do appreciate the nuances of investing in decent equipment. Currently, I listen to my music via a traditional 2-channel stereo (Outlaw Audio amp, Ascend Sierra-2 speakers, Veledyne sub). I'm looking for advice on the best means of playing the music in my library and I'd like to be able to access my full library (~185GB). Should I be looking at a decent quality DAP? Would the X5 be an appropriate investment?

To use as a DAC or DAP?

X5 is a great DAP overall, but can you find one anymore?

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #19,002 of 19,652
Well, at a quick glance, the first gen X5 is still for sale on Amazon new for $229.  So I'd guess availability still isn't horrible just yet.

@a lab lover if you 're looking to use the X5 as a DAP, you can certainly fit your entire library on the X5 with room to spare as it can use 2 128gb micro SD cards for it's library.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #19,003 of 19,652
  @lurk Just checked, and it's pretty close, but the silicon cover causes no obstruction whatsoever, allowing the cable to move freely.  The added thickness the case provides means the stack is slightly off center, but not badly so.

thanks again
'slightly off center' does it mean the both of them doesn't lay flat on each other with the added thickness?

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #19,005 of 19,652
I was assuming that I'd be considering the 2nd gen of the X5. Let me know if I have the incorrect forum here.

And I'll apologize for my relative ignorance of the technical aspects of digital playback. With that in mind, and given that my files are in an Apple Lossless format, would the X5 provide a better transmission vehicle of those files to my 2-channel stereo system than an iPod? I know the iPod has a 160GB storage ceiling, and that's a consideration.I currently use an older iPod Touch w/ a 64GB drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back