The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 24, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #17,806 of 19,652
  I've been learning how those work on my X3ii. They are very handy. It took me a week to realize I didn't have to back all the way out to the main menu, one tap at a time. 
biggrin.gif

Nice thing about it is that they are multi-function too.  Tap, and you go back one level.  Press and hold, and you go straight back to main menu.

And if you are actually playing a track (or even paused), and are at main menu, short tap, and you get to the now playing screen.  

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #17,807 of 19,652
It's astonishing how differently the X5 sounds as a DAC vs. LO. The LO is far more "in your face" with punchier bass and more forward vocals and treble as well. 

The (apparently) neutral and uncolored sound signature through the DAC seems rather sterile and cold. 

LO is just much more enjoyable. I'm hanging onto the X5 for now, foregoing the X5II which is supposed to be more neutral?

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #17,808 of 19,652
It's astonishing how differently the X5 sounds as a DAC vs. LO. The LO is far more "in your face" with punchier bass and more forward vocals and treble as well. 

The (apparently) neutral and uncolored sound signature through the DAC seems rather sterile and cold. 

LO is just much more enjoyable. I'm hanging onto the X5 for now, foregoing the X5II which is supposed to be more neutral?

What amp are you hooking up to the line out? Using the X5 as a DAC to your computer you can still use the line out as well as the headphone out. The only difference is the computer is serving the files instead of the mSD cards.

Jun 25, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #17,809 of 19,652
What amp are you hooking up to the line out? Using the X5 as a DAC to your computer you can still use the line out as well as the headphone out. The only difference is the computer is serving the files instead of the mSD cards.

LO + Fiio E6 + Koss KSC75 w/ partsexpress headband

DAC + LO + Fiio E6 + Koss KSC75

So, you are saying this is placebo effect? :)

How do I volume match to compare exactly?

Jun 25, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #17,810 of 19,652

Not necessarily placebo. There's a few factors that may contribute to a difference. It could be the software that's decoding the files on the computer may be doing something to the sound. It may be the computer volume is influencing the audio.

The best way to volume match is to pick up a SPL meter and measure the output from your headphones/IEM with as little influence from other sources as possible. An easier alternative, though no where near as accurate, is to grab a SPL app for a smartphone and measure with the phone mic.

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #17,811 of 19,652
Not necessarily placebo. There's a few factors that may contribute to a difference. It could be the software that's decoding the files on the computer may be doing something to the sound. It may be the computer volume is influencing the audio.

The best way to volume match is to pick up a SPL meter and measure the output from your headphones/IEM with as little influence from other sources as possible. An easier alternative, though no where near as accurate, is to grab a SPL app for a smartphone and measure with the phone mic.

I use an SPL meter, but find it to be an imperfect way of matching volume. I suppose even a 1 or 2 db difference could influence our assessment of sound quality. 

On a related note, I am not digging the DAC on the X3II. Flabby bass and brittle high end. 

The X5 has gotten me very spoiled and I cannot step down in SQ at all.

Heck, I'm even reluctant to even consider the X5II: I purchased the X3II based upon head fi reviews saying the X3II is close in SQ to the X5, and I am not finding that at all. 

The UI of the X5 is far from perfect, but the SQ is truly excellent. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #17,812 of 19,652

I use an SPL meter, but find it to be an imperfect way of matching volume. I suppose even a 1 or 2 db difference could influence our assessment of sound quality. 

I can get to within 0.1 dB with mine.  Even 0.5 dB of volume difference is easily distinguishable by most people - and the funny part of it is that many people make very subjective comments about SQ when judging two devices - without volume matching at all.

Why do you say the SPL meter is an imperfectw ay of volume matching.  What is your alternative?  Why do you find it inaccurate?

On a related note, I am not digging the DAC on the X3II. Flabby bass and brittle high end. 

Interesting observation - measurements show it is pretty flat (in fact there is a very slow roll-off, so not sure where brittle comes in).  What headphones are you driving.  Are you going X3ii DAC to another headphone amp? to ?

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #17,813 of 19,652

.................... [snip]

Brooko this is what his audio chain is. If it were me I'd ditch the E6 and just use the DAP. Perhaps he just likes the sound of the E6 amp.

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #17,814 of 19,652
Ah - OK - it's colouration he likes.  Thanks Craig.  No harm in that.  The comments on the flabby bass and brittle high end threw me a bit.  It would be interesting to see him compare blind and properly volume matched.

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #17,815 of 19,652

Fiio E6 is way weaker than either X5 or X3K or X5II when it comes to amp and sound and details retrieval and such. 

The differences perceived by you are bound to be from other factors as X5 has the same sound when used as a DAC and as an AMP, with line out. Maybe you have EQ on while it is in DAP mode, or maybe you do have an EQ in windows. Or some DSPs. Or windows volume is not set to max. OR the program software volume is not set to max.  

Take it from a software builder, volume control is far from perfect implemented in some softwares, and you should avoid most software volume control as well as windows. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #17,817 of 19,652
@Brooko this is what his audio chain is. If it were me I'd ditch the E6 and just use the DAP. Perhaps he just likes the sound of the E6 amp.

Haha, yes, I am a big fan of the E6 amp. :)

I am considering a move up to the E12 in the near future. The big steps in volume, and limited battery life are limiting factors for the E6. 

As far as the SPL meter, yes, it reads to .1 dB, but of course the reading is constantly fluctuating. I think the only way to match is to get an average reading over a specific amount of time and my SPL meter can't provide such data. I guess I can get a rough idea of the average (approximating an average over a few readings....45.7, 51.3, 49.2) but there is no way to match in any meaningful sense just by looking at the readout. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #17,819 of 19,652
To volume match you want to use a calibrated single tone (usually 1 kHz as it's the frequency we are most sensitive to). That way you can get the two devices you are testing to pretty much the exact volume. Then after they are matched, make sure you use the same music files on the devices you are testing. Finally, if you can get someone to help you, get them to do any switching so you don't know which one you are listening to.

What is it you want to compare?

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #17,820 of 19,652
And you really need to make sure that whatever you are listening to is in exactly the same position.  If it's IEMs, don't move them.  Headphones, don't move them.  Speakers are a real challenge because moving your head an inch can evoke big changes due to room acoustics.  These are often overlooked.

Have you ever wondered why the same set-up from same tune on the same signal source to earphones can sound different one day to the next?  One reason is that you never get whatever is making the sound inexactly the same place. 

Another is that your response varies with mood and weather...there are days when tracks I love just sound awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back