The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 24, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #17,791 of 19,652
For X5 custom themes go here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/717947/fiio-x5-custom-modded-firmwares

All the download links to different themes are in the first post and you can click the link to the original post to see pictures of each theme. Or just view all the pics in the threads picture gallery.

Thanks RELIC.

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #17,792 of 19,652
So, from those of you who have known and loved the X5 1st Gen, what do I need to know about this device?

I've read many reviews here. Anything important you feel ought to be impressed upon me?

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #17,793 of 19,652
So, from those of you who have known and loved the X5 1st Gen, what do I need to know about this device?

I've read many reviews here. Anything important you feel ought to be impressed upon me?

Nothing in particular. 

The wheel. You either love it or hate it, as it is pointed by most reviews.

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #17,794 of 19,652
I don't mind the wheel on the X3ii. It's not great, nor precise, but it isn't terrible. From what I understand the original X5 was much the same, just looser.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #17,795 of 19,652
Bought it off a Swedish online auction site called "Tradera". I was the only one bidding and won with my first on and only bid. No reserve was set. No postage was needed as I could drive and get it myself. I even pressed the price a little as the seller also included a set of portable speakers which I didn't want. We decided that he could keep them and sell them separate so we settled for a price of 1750Sek (SWEDISH KRONOR). That's about $210us. I'll try to provide the pic of the auction.

Hope it's satisfactory?

Yes! Great deal on the memory cards & X5. I knew it could not be Ebay. Just too meny fools bidding stuff much higher than it's value.

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #17,796 of 19,652
I don't mind the wheel on the X3ii. It's not great, nor precise, but it isn't terrible. From what I understand the original X5 was much the same, just looser.
using two hands you can combine spinning the wheel and pressing the up or down scroll keys for faster scrolling

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #17,797 of 19,652

Um, are you looking for something in particular?

X5 Classic rocks!

Compared to X5ii

Winning points:
Slightly warmer sound
Slightly more bass impact
Easier to get to EQ
Coax Out separate from Line Out

Losing Points:
Slightly smaller soundstage
Sloppier scroll wheel
Dimmer, duller screen
Larger raised buttons are easier to press accidentally in Lockscreen modes

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #17,798 of 19,652
AK
FiiO DAPs are priced very well according to their SQ. The X5 deserves to be what it costs more than the the X3/X3 II and it seems the second generations are indeed an improvement over the original. The nice part is they didn't jack the price on the new models like some certain insanely prices DAPs we know of.

AK AK AK AKtchuuoo, sneezes :)

It's kind of sad, but at the same time it is part of the audio world. The prices wouldn't be holding there if people weren't buying it. The Sennheiser HD700 wasn't selling and the prices dropped by 60% over a few years. I guess someone's buying them 
confused.gif

Either way, very admirable of Fiio. Even headphone manufacturers seem to be on the train where they improve a product, slap on a new model number and increase the cost 50%. 

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #17,799 of 19,652

No. I'm just excited to get my hands on it, so I'm talking about it, reading about it, thinking about it. You know how these things go. :)

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #17,800 of 19,652

X5 Classic rocks!

Compared to X5ii

Winning points:
Slightly warmer sound
Slightly more bass impact
Easier to get to EQ
Coax Out separate from Line Out

Losing Points:
Slightly smaller soundstage
Sloppier scroll wheel
Dimmer, duller screen
Larger raised buttons are easier to press accidentally in Lockscreen modes

I do agree with this assessment of the X5 sound signature. The bass does have a nice "weight" and oomph to it without becoming sloppy. The upper midrange is also slightly emphasized, giving that warm sound signature you speak of. 

I also agree with the assessment of the soundstage. I do not recommend pairing the X5 with grado's, which are also known for a narrower soundstage.

As far as the X3II, I really enjoy the design overall compared to the X5. It's small, lighter, and has a nice scrollwheel with more pronounced clicks and stops. It's also easier to put in and take out the microsd card. However, I don't use it very often despite it's very nice esthetics and design. The X5 easily trumps the sound quality, in every way: HO, LO, DAC. 

After a few uses of the X3II assessing SQ, I have reached for the X5 every time. 

If Fiio can build a DAP the size of the X3 with the SQ of the X5, wow!

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #17,801 of 19,652

No. I'm just excited to get my hands on it, so I'm talking about it, reading about it, thinking about it. You know how these things go.
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as SQ, you will absolutely not be disappointed. The signature is not completely neutral, but I find the sound more enjoyable even though the upper midrange and bass are slightly more pronounced than a completely neutral frequency response. 

I just find myself smiling all the time, and really enjoying hearing more details than ever before. 

If you want a more neutral sound signature, just use the DAC function. I pair the X5 DAC with a macbook and it sounds outstanding: more neutral but less "fun."

You can truly have the best of both worlds with the X5. 

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #17,802 of 19,652
I'll be using it at work mostly, as a stand-alone DAP. And a DAC for a Windows PC using foobar2000... if it sounds better than my Dragonfly.

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #17,804 of 19,652

No. I'm just excited to get my hands on it, so I'm talking about it, reading about it, thinking about it. You know how these things go. :)

I suggest getting to know the upper left button when you have one. It's a shortcut to contextual menus that can get you where you want to be when changing from Artist browsing to Album browsing for example, or quickly getting from one card slot to the other without having to back out through all the menus. I didn't really use it until I did some custom themes and am glad I figured out what it does.

Also, long press of the back button (upper right) will always take you to the main menu, and long press of the shortcut button (upper left) will always take you back to the Now Playing screen.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #17,805 of 19,652
I've been learning how those work on my X3ii. They are very handy. It took me a week to realize I didn't have to back all the way out to the main menu, one tap at a time. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back