The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 2, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #15,947 of 19,652
  it should be exactly the same wheel.

i had a chance to see x1. x5 is better in every single way, like an upgrade. 

That scroll wheel and button on a $100 X1 is fine.  Not on a $400 X5.  Just my humble opinion.  

Mar 2, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #15,949 of 19,652
Does fiio service out of warranty units? Just wondering if they will repair the click wheel if ever it conks out and the one year warranty has already lapsed...

you should contact them. they are great guys, you should get it repaired at a little cost.

That scroll wheel and button on a $100 X1 is fine.  Not on a $400 X5.  Just my humble opinion.  

of course, you are totally entitled to your opinion, i was just underlineing that the wheel on x1 is the same as x5 as far as i felt. they felt about the same. 

teoretically, unless they do touch screen, the wheel is better for large folders than buttons. and the best is touchscreen, due to much easyer scrolling.

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #15,951 of 19,652
To add to the wheel discussion, I absolutely love the "wheel feel" on my X5, I can see why some wouldn't but I personally adore it
smily_headphones1.gif

i just got used to it and really like the wheel

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #15,952 of 19,652
To be clear, I have no issue with the functionality of the wheel.  I think it works fine.  

It just FEELS super cheap.  Like it's not well-attached and the button in the middle sort of pivots around the actuation point so you have to hit it dead center.  The clicks on the wheel aren't very distinct so it's easy to overshoot or undershoot.

For my uses (95% DAC, 5% portable), I don't really care that mych, it gets the job done.  It's just disappointing, as I said.  I expect more from such an expensive device, especially when everything else about it is much higher quality.

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #15,953 of 19,652
  To be clear, I have no issue with the functionality of the wheel.  I think it works fine.  

It just FEELS super cheap.  Like it's not well-attached and the button in the middle sort of pivots around the actuation point so you have to hit it dead center.  The clicks on the wheel aren't very distinct so it's easy to overshoot or undershoot.

For my uses (95% DAC, 5% portable), I don't really care that mych, it gets the job done.  It's just disappointing, as I said.  I expect more from such an expensive device, especially when everything else about it is much higher quality.

Just FYI - the implementation on the new X3 2nd gen is a lot better.  As usual with Fiio - they have learnt a lot - and have reacted to comments from their market (us).

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #15,954 of 19,652

Just FYI - the implementation on the new X3 2nd gen is a lot better.  As usual with Fiio - they have learnt a lot - and have reacted to comments from their market (us).

Is the X3 ii publicly available yet?

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #15,956 of 19,652
  Is the X3 ii publicly available yet?

Not yet - a few of us have early release preview units.  World tours should be starting in a couple of weeks as well.

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #15,957 of 19,652
On my X5 I typically only use the power button. Once to turn it on and it auto-starts playing, and then whenever I want a peek at who or what is playing. I'm ALWAYS in play all random mode, so the wheel is a stranger to me. I don't think it feels cheap at all when I do touch it.

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #15,958 of 19,652

Not yet - a few of us have early release preview units.  World tours should be starting in a couple of weeks as well.

1.  Can you give us a quick look at the new X3II?  Maybe we could extrapolate what improvements we might expect from the 5II.
2.  If the wheel isn't getting you exactly where you want to be, why not just use the bottoms as verniers (so to speak).  And once I went the way of alphabetting my cards, it cuts way down on the time needed to get to a song or album.
And if you're familiar with your collection, you don't have to look at the screen, even. 

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #15,959 of 19,652
1.  Can you give us a quick look at the new X3II?  Maybe we could extrapolate what improvements we might expect from the 5II.
2.  If the wheel isn't getting you exactly where you want to be, why not just use the bottoms as verniers (so to speak).  And once I went the way of alphabetting my cards, it cuts way down on the time needed to get to a song or album.
And if you're familiar with your collection, you don't have to look at the screen, even. 

You're preaching to the converted :wink:

My cards are alphabetised- have been for a while. I personally love using the wheel, and have no issues with navigation. I also use the buttons.

For a quick comparison with X5 - try this http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-second-generation-ex-x3k-x3ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote/600#post_11359489

For comparison with X1 try this - http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-second-generation-ex-x3k-x3ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote/570#post_11356240

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #15,960 of 19,652
You're preaching to the converted
wink.gif

My cards are alphabetised- have been for a while. I personally love using the wheel, and have no issues with navigation. I also use the buttons.

For a quick comparison with X5 - try this http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-second-generation-ex-x3k-x3ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote/600#post_11359489

For comparison with X1 try this - http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-second-generation-ex-x3k-x3ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote/570#post_11356240

Thanks.  Sounds like the new X3 is close to the current X5 in sound.
Oh yeah:  My point No. 2 was meant for those who weren't happy with the wheel.  I just use the buttons to get where I want.
I tend to pay attention to you, X-relic-X, Olddude and others for guidance.  Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back