The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 25, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #15,346 of 19,652
Is there a specific method to disconnect the X5 from the computer while it is in DAC mode?  I ask because there is no eject option for the X5 when it's in DAC mode and it freezes up on me every time I disconnect from the computer.

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #15,347 of 19,652
Hi guys,

I've been thinking of buying an X5 for sometime now. I presently have a Sony F886 Hi-Res Walkman / Fiio E12 combo, which I love.
I was thinking of buying the new Sony ZX2, with the micro card slot, when it's out, but the X5 would be a much cheaper alternative, and even more storage place.
Has anyone compared the X5 with the Sony ZX1, and if so, how do they compare ? Any feedback much appreciated.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #15,348 of 19,652
  Is there a specific method to disconnect the X5 from the computer while it is in DAC mode?  I ask because there is no eject option for the X5 when it's in DAC mode and it freezes up on me every time I disconnect from the computer.

I don't use mine in DAC mode, so I am suggesting this from memory...

In Windows, you should be able to eject the device from the connected USB devices down in the task tray near the clock. You may have to look for the icon as it may be hidden. If you right-click it, it should show the devices connected at the time that you can choose to eject.

With a Mac, I would suggest powering off the X5 before disconnecting it from the computer.

Hope this helps.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #15,349 of 19,652

I don't use mine in DAC mode, so I am suggesting this from memory...

In Windows, you should be able to eject the device from the connected USB devices down in the task tray near the clock. You may have to look for the icon as it may be hidden. If you right-click it, it should show the devices connected at the time that you can choose to eject.

With a Mac, I would suggest powering off the X5 before disconnecting it from the computer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.

I know which icon you're talking about and it shows up for every other USB device I plug in except for the X5 in DAC mode.  I actually just successfully turned off the X5 while still connected to the computer and uplugged it while it was off.

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #15,350 of 19,652
Regarding the album art, I personally did not experience any stuttering during tracks, but definitely experienced lag in track information changes (title, album, artist) between track changes. After I deleted all my embedded art and switched to a single cover.jpg within each folder, the lag completely disappeared. Seemed to save a bit of space too.

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #15,351 of 19,652
My thought is that some of the readers of this forum are technically proficient and can easily add or remove artwork without issue. But quite a few of the people who read this forum might have quite a struggle trying to figure out how to do it. And in the process they may ruin music files that they don't have backed up. The amount of space a cover image takes up is a rounding error when you consider 32k block sizes  with FAT32 formatting. The effort one might go through to save what would result in less than one albums worth of space may be worth it to you, but it is not to me.

If I were to encourage someone to do something useful I would advise them to backup their digital music files in multiple places.

Some of the ideas offered as advice around here are just a bit silly and dangerous to those who are struggling with the complexities of not having iTunes manage their lives. And some of the people offering advice around here are at best, the blind leading the blind.

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #15,352 of 19,652
We're discussing at different levels aangen. Of course people should back up their music. I've got mine on a Drobo and in the cloud.

With respect to fine-tuning performance of our DAPs, people have personal responsibility and accountability. I don't wish for anyone to damage their music collection, but if they do trying something beyond their technical levels well... they need to take ownership of that.

I still hear about the Christmas photos I lost before embarking on a crusade to backup all of my files onsite on my Drobo and offsite in the cloud. Not blaming anyone but myself for that and learned a valuable lesson!

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #15,353 of 19,652
I never had any trouble with stuttering with embedded art on my X5.  I did have some .jpegs in the folders that contained my DSD files and those did seem to cause a bit of delay (not much) but then we are talking about folders that were already 1.8+ gigs, so....

Oh, and I did't like (at all!) the JDSLabs C5 amp with the X5.  To me it ruined the sound (though some here seem to like it).  Sold it, as I found the X5 powerful enough on its own.  

(No need for an amp with the Pono with iems and lots of cans.  And running it from Line Out into my receiver powers my big Kefs quite nicely.)

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #15,355 of 19,652
Pono, Pono, Pono!!!

wink_face.gif

You better believe it.  With my cable upgrade the sound is beyond what even I hoped for.  

And no one is yakkin' about MP3s over on the Pono threads.  True joy.  
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #15,356 of 19,652
Maybe I should get a Pono for all my OGG Vorbis files, lol!

Just picked up a used iRiver IHP-140 for nighttime listening device. Rockboxed that puppy, and now she's a FLAC machine with a sweet, sweet LCS remote I can clip to my pillowcase. Thinking of replacing HD with at least 128GB flash memory. Anythingbutipod members have really pushed these with 500GB+ SSDs :blink:

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #15,358 of 19,652
  Which cable would best compliment the Fiio x5?

The cable that came with it 
wink.gif

Seriously though - what cable are you talking about - line-out, USB, ?, ?

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #15,359 of 19,652
  Regarding the album art, I personally did not experience any stuttering during tracks, but definitely experienced lag in track information changes (title, album, artist) between track changes. After I deleted all my embedded art and switched to a single cover.jpg within each folder, the lag completely disappeared. Seemed to save a bit of space too.

Oh my goodness THANK YOU for posting this! I was already lamenting the loss of several easy features coming from my iPod and the lag on ffwd, rew and changing tracks was starting to really get to me. Deleted all album artwork and voila - it's so zippy! Everything is almost instant now. I can't thank you enough! 
dt880smile.png

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #15,360 of 19,652

Oh my goodness THANK YOU for posting this! I was already lamenting the loss of several easy features coming from my iPod and the lag on ffwd, rew and changing tracks was starting to really get to me. Deleted all album artwork and voila - it's so zippy! Everything is almost instant now. I can't thank you enough! 
dt880smile.png

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back