The Fiio X3 Thread.
Sep 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #5,461 of 17,483

Umm...isn't that what the question was?

Nope. He asked if it currently works in browsing by album. It doesn't work unless you're in the category option not the browse option. Unless I'm mistaken "browse" and "category" are 2 completely different areas of the UI.

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #5,462 of 17,483

Umm...isn't that what the question was?

Nope. He asked if it currently works in browsing by album. It doesn't work unless you're in the category option not the browse option. Unless I'm mistaken "browse" and "category" are 2 completely different areas of the UI.

You are not mistaken. If you initiate playback on the X3 through the Browse Files header in the UI then you will not get gapless playback. if you initiate playback through the Categories/Album headers then you can get gapless playback. This should be corrected in the next firmware upgrade. hopefully.

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #5,463 of 17,483
When you have users who haven't used the device before, they probably don't know the difference between category and browsing by files...so I'd venture a guess that the guy/gal who asked the question, just worded it incorrectly.  But either way, you both cleared it up and it's all good.  :)

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #5,465 of 17,483
Is it worth upgrading to X3 from Sansa Fuze + fiio LOD (stock) + jds cmoyBB?

Or is it better to get a better standalone amp like the O2 and use it with the above rig?
In other words how does the DAP/DAC section of the X3 compare to the one in Fuze?

From the X3 review i found that the AMP of an X3 is almost on par with the O2.

The headphones i use are the Beyers DT250 250Ohm and the Sony MA900 12Ohm (these in particular cannot be driven by the cmoy).

Many thanks!

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #5,466 of 17,483
So how is the X3 with Sennheiser momentum? Is it worth upgrading from galaxy s3?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #5,467 of 17,483
  So how is the X3 with Sennheiser momentum? Is it worth upgrading from galaxy s3?
smily_headphones1.gif

It really depends on the headphones you use.

From here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/624280/iphone-4s-galaxy-s3-measured-performance-in-decibels#post_8640190

I see that the S3 is good in some respects and bad in others.
Even though the X3 beats the S3 in all categories, the S3 is good enough to not be detectably inadequate in all but 2 aspects.
The crosstalk is bad. 53 dB is not good at all and the X3 has a crosstalk of 70db in 32 ohms. Also, the 3.45 ohms output impedance of the S3 is not good for any headphone below 28ohms.
I also could not find the maximum voltage outputed by the S3, but I can presume it is not better than the X3.

As I said, if the headphones you use are of high enough impedance, but you still get enough loudness, and you don't mind a forced Joint Stereo mode, due to the crosstalk, the S3 should be OK.

With the Momentums, the S3 is totally inadequate, though. The 16 ohms impedance means the S3 cannot offer enough bass damping to give you accurate attack and control.

Sep 26, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #5,468 of 17,483
My X3 has been locking up while trying to scan a 64GB SanDisk card. Yesterday, it went completely FOOBAR - both the internal flash and SD card presented to Windows as unformatted. The X3 would still boot, but couldn't find any music anywhere. So, I formatted both volumes with guiformat.exe (32KB cluster size) and reloaded it with FLAC albums from HDTRACKS (24/92), B&W Music Society(24/92) and my own EAC rips(14/44). Now the X3 can finally scan and index successfully.  I had some 24/96 albums from strange sources that apparently the X3 was choking on.

Nice player, now that it finally works.

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #5,469 of 17,483
I received my X3 with a 64GB SanDisk card two days ago. I immediately put it on a charger and went away for awhile. I used  AOMEI Partition Assistant to format the card with no trouble. I used the 64GB card to update the OS (1.31) even though it was recommended to use no larger than a 32GB card. No problems with an empty64.
Prior to getting the X3 I created a directory and filled it with 59GB of music, mostly 16/44.1 FLAC with a few 24/96 FLAC albums. It took awhile to get it all copied. Once I was done I put some headphones on and started listening. I have to say, the first music I listened to sounded muddy and confused and not at all what I would consider hi fi. No sir. It didn't sound anywhere near as good as my 5th, 6th, and 7th Generation iPods playing LAME encoded mp3 files. I wasn't too worried though. I set it to play all songs in a loop, plugged it into power and some headphones and cranked it up and let it run for 16 hours. After that I listened again and it was MUCH BETTER. Nice even. It's in the next room doing it some more.

Some thoughts:
The interface is FINE. It's easy, and it works well.
IMHO the player is well made for what it costs.
It sounds okay with B&W P5 headphones. A little better with Shure 535s.
I Wish Wish Wish there was a second tiny slot for a second 64GB card!

I think I'm going to like this little toy. I have some Alclair RSM Quads being built and they should arrive any day now. Hopefully they will like the X3.
In a state of madness I also ordered an Oppo BDP-105 which is also on it's way. I need to take a time out I think.

Thanks to all of you who have posted useful information in this and other forums! You made it easy and fun to acquire this X3!!!!

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #5,470 of 17,483
  Is it worth upgrading to X3 from Sansa Fuze + fiio LOD (stock) + jds cmoyBB?

Or is it better to get a better standalone amp like the O2 and use it with the above rig?
In other words how does the DAP/DAC section of the X3 compare to the one in Fuze?

From the X3 review i found that the AMP of an X3 is almost on par with the O2.

The headphones i use are the Beyers DT250 250Ohm and the Sony MA900 12Ohm (these in particular cannot be driven by the cmoy).

Many thanks!

Can anyone else please comment on that?

What would be a better sounding/balanced setup: Fuze + L6 LOD + JDS O2 or the X3 alone?
For the beyers 250Ohm and the sonys ma900.

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #5,471 of 17,483

Can anyone else please comment on that?

What would be a better sounding/balanced setup: Fuze + L6 LOD + JDS O2 or the X3 alone?
For the beyers 250Ohm and the sonys ma900.

I can't comment on the O2 but my Fuze (rockbox) + LOD + E12 combo (imo) sounded better than my X3, and from what I've read the O2 is better than the E12.

EDIT:
Just saw a used X3 for $179.99 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00E9O6C96

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #5,472 of 17,483
  Had my first glitch with the X3 over the weekend.  I went out for a bike ride and as soon as I wanted to use the X3 it locked up and no matter what I did it would not play any music.  I reset it when I got home and it works now.  Just weird.

That happens to me sometimes when I am out as well

I just press and hold the power button to turn it off and on.

that is what we should do . and we plan to change the UI to full GUI in next year, just like Apple change from IOS6 to IOS7 and them you will get a new X3 with GUI, 192k/24b USB DAC, DSD support.

Great news

Sigh. I'm running a 4S that's even faster with iOS 7. Where do you guys get this stuff?

For my 4S, its slower with iOS7 and some lag compared to iOS6. But I don't mind

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #5,473 of 17,483
I can't comment on the O2 but my Fuze (rockbox) + LOD + E12 combo (imo) sounded better than my X3, and from what I've read the O2 is better than the E12.

EDIT:
Just saw a used X3 for $179.99 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00E9O6C96

Hello fellow Minnesotan, I have an IPod classic with my e12 and I would not trade that, absolutely sounds amazing. I will soon have 3 daps that should make me happy for a long time. Fiio X3 IPod classic and DX50...

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #5,474 of 17,483

For my 4S, its slower with iOS7 and some lag compared to iOS6. But I don't mind

Did you check all the settings? There might be running apps/features of iOS7 that the 4S processor can't handle, not necessarily iOS7 itself. A friend's 4S almost froze on her because iOS7 (by default, AFAIK) starts up on an iPhone with that face-tracking thingy running. She managed to switch it off and a few other things while keeping the apps she kept running on iOS6.x.x, and she says it works smoother than that now.

Sep 27, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #5,475 of 17,483
Did you check all the settings? There might be running apps/features of iOS7 that the 4S processor can't handle, not necessarily iOS7 itself. A friend's 4S almost froze on her because iOS7 (by default, AFAIK) starts up on an iPhone with that face-tracking thingy running. She managed to switch it off and a few other things while keeping the apps she kept running on iOS6.x.x, and she says it works smoother than that now.

Completely OT, but the "face-tracking thingy" is the iPhones internal gyroscope.

You can reduce it's motion (or maybe shut it down completely) via settings -> general -> accessibility -> reduce motion(?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back