The Fiio X3 Thread.
Sep 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #5,491 of 17,484
A fault has developed in my x3,the categories function is not working for my memory card,it shows the categories but doesnt see the sub menu/tracks.i have done a reset and a factory reset and nothing,when i take out the sd card it still shows all my albums,its as if the lib. isnt updating,it sill shows the albums in the internal memory.Any help would be much appreciated.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #5,492 of 17,484

dumb question:

I would like to purchase a backup micro-usb to usb cable for my X3 - is the cord provided by Fiio proprietary? or can I use an aftermarket cable?  If I can use an aftermarket cable, then which one do I need and where can I find it?

Thanks -

From the manual:

"Can X3 be recharged by other Micro USB data cable?

Yes. But the original data cable is specially made with power wire in large diameter which can reduce the wear and tear. Other non-original USB cable may result in slow charging speed. What’s worse, if it is very poor quality, it may unable to charge due to the high voltage loss."

So you can use almost any micro-usb cable but it may charge more slowly than with the supplied one. I use all sorts of different cables and they all work well enough but the supplied one is a *little* better than most of them. (And a *lot* better than the HP one I got with my touchpad....)

I use the one provided with my wifes Kobo e-reader (Canadian equivilant of Kindle) as it provides a nice tight, firm connection. The one supplied by FiiO would not stay securely connected to my X3. It would constantly fall out on it's own, with either the silicone skin on or off, causing unwanted data stream terminations and disrupted battery charging. Despite FiiO's claims, I can see nothing that would indicate that the cable provided by FiiO with the X3 is in any way better built, or has a larger gauge conductor than any other quality USB to micro USB cable. The one from the Kobo charges the X3  just as quickly and just as thouroughly as the cable provided with the X3 and it is simply a generic low cost throw in, nothing special.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #5,493 of 17,484

I use the one provided with my wifes Kobo e-reader (Canadian equivilant of Kindle) as it provides a nice tight, firm connection. The one supplied by FiiO would not stay securely connected to my X3. It would constantly fall out on it's own, with either the silicone skin on or off, causing unwanted data stream terminations and disrupted battery charging. Despite FiiO's claims, I can see nothing that would indicate that the cable provided by FiiO with the X3 is in any way better built, or has a larger gauge conductor than any other quality USB to micro USB cable. The one from the Kobo charges the X3  just as quickly and just as thouroughly as the cable provided with the X3 and it is simply a generic low cost throw in, nothing special.

Funnily enough that is the exact same issue I had with the HP cable whilst the FiiO one was a really good fit. But, providing it does fit, the differences are minor enough that I just use any cable I have to hand (except the HP one).

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #5,496 of 17,484
  Does anyone else have the problem that when the skip between tracks sometimes, because the player is a little slow, the first second or two of the song gets skipped or jumbled? 

Sometimes get the skip, I read a buffer error, maybe with the new firmware and the updated galpess will resolve this.

Other things... for me It will be a good idea when the screen is off with the change of track and volume not turn on the screen, only turn on with the two buttons OK and Back, I'm the kind of person that change the volume several times even with the same song.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #5,497 of 17,484
Based on what I've read, I'm under the impression that there would be a noticeable improvement, but not necessarily a big leap. If you're using the E17 with an LOD, it probably doesn't sound vastly different than the X3. I've heard the X3, but I haven't A/B'd it with an ipod+Fiio amp. It does give you the ability to play high res music (24bit / 96Khz and up), which may help you make a decision. They've been really on the ball about fixing the firmware and it seems like a very good device now, certainly good enough to consider making the switch.

This might be a bit OT, but certain iPods can be Rockboxed, at which point they will resample 24/96 files to 44.1kHz playback through an LOD, so sound playback will work with 24/96 files. I do this all the time with both a mini and a 5th gen iPod Video.

I'm also interested in an audio comparison between an X3 without an amp, and an iPod Video or Classic with LOD to a decent portable amp. The iPod with amp stack is small but not as small as a standalone X3.

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #5,498 of 17,484
This might be a bit OT, but certain iPods can be Rockboxed, at which point they will resample 24/96 files to 44.1kHz playback through an LOD, so sound playback will work with 24/96 files. I do this all the time with both a mini and a 5th gen iPod Video.

I'm also interested in an audio comparison between an X3 without an amp, and an iPod Video or Classic with LOD to a decent portable amp. The iPod with amp stack is small but not as small as a standalone X3.

I too would like to read about a comparison, I currently use an ipod classic (rockboxed), playing flac files, LOD into a Fiio amp and very good it sounds too. Is the X3 a step up in comparison to this set up?

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #5,500 of 17,484
Any X3 owners out there feel like breaking the seal on the product review page? the DX50 has some reviews so we need to spread the goodness that is X3!

If you do, post link here please

Oct 1, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #5,501 of 17,484
you have very complete reviews in the forum already, but I must say that I never understood why people post here instead of the proper review page.

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #5,502 of 17,484
  you have very complete reviews in the forum already, but I must say that I never understood why people post here instead of the proper review page.

visibility. Plus, Head-Fi's product review pages don't work too well, are off setting to those that find them through google and don't create as much as a person 'this is what I wrote' feel to it as one would get by making a new thread for the review and posting it.

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #5,503 of 17,484
Yes correct. Gapless does not work for me in either mode. I am using ALAC files

I noticed I had some ALAC files that wouldn't play gapless in album mode either. I converted em to FLAC and now gapless works fine. Dunno if its a bug with the player or something to do with the ALAC tags (orig. set in itunes). Anybody got any ideas which tags ALAC does/doesn't need in order to work correctly?

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #5,504 of 17,484
uuuhm, mine also has a bug for ALAC files - I have daft punk random access memories in 24/88.2 and my DX50 thinks it's 32 bit :/ does anyone have the same issue?

UUHM, never mind, wrong thread. sorry :D

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #5,505 of 17,484
I too would like to read about a comparison, I currently use an ipod classic (rockboxed), playing flac files, LOD into a Fiio amp and very good it sounds too. Is the X3 a step up in comparison to this set up?

I don't think you are going to see any real difference. I have the Fiio X3 and Ipod classic with alac lod to my e12 and they both have different sigs but equally sound great. I soon will be getting a DX50, and can not wait to compare that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back