The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #811 of 17,484
Ah, okay. I was under the impression that lossless files were more of a drain on batteries, but maybe that's only with HDD players like ipod classics...

I don't know about Fiio X3. Some years ago, some players converted every file into wav before output, so file formats made little difference on battery life. I'd like to think new Fiio firmware will use codec better.

May 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #812 of 17,484
Quote:
I really don't like wifi or Android 2.3 on my DAP as well as touchscreen control. That said, they found out the specs on the DX50 thread was just some Thai's dreams and expectations. However I am really not cool with iBasso and their lack of proper updates. FiiO is more trustful. I want physical buttons, easy to use, good SQ, as high as possible capacity and battery life.

Artwork and screen quality or things like that are really out of my interest. DAP should sound good, play hi-res files without a problem not sync with email account and do fancy things.

That's my humble opinion anyway. Pure DAP is the best DAP, I don't like useless features and buggy controls.

Edit: As a simple example, the reason I stay away from Tera Player is lack of Graphical UI and wav stricted playback. These decision comes from Charles and they bring their own advantages as well as disadvantages. So, one should know his priorities and decide what to buy. I would love to see Tera Player with a minimal screen and more file options to play but Charles already knew these things and he decided what these features take away from the DAP is not worth it.

It has been established on the DX50 thread that use of Android 2.3 and the source of that information was simply speculation, much like the thread on this forum. Just to clarify.

May 6, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #813 of 17,484
Quote:

It has been established on the DX50 thread that use of Android 2.3 and the source of that information was simply speculation, much like the thread on this forum. Just to clarify.

Thanks mate, I read that later on too, some people who can actually read what was written there explained.

May 7, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #814 of 17,484
I've skimmed through just a bit of this huge thread, but it seems like this player combines a top flight amp + just about every geek tech fantasy feature from a to z at a bargain price. Is this a relatively accurate assessment of the player? :)

May 7, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #815 of 17,484
I am wondering can the X3 output to a DAC/amp combo (e.g. Leckerton UHA4 or a Pico) to bypass the onboard DAC?

I skimmed the thread looking for any mention for it but didn't found any. Sorry if it's already been asked. And yes I realise this is less of a "audiophile" DAP and more of a sensible approach to one, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

EDIT: I know there's a lineout jack but some combo only accepts USB input to use their DAC. I guess my question should be more on that: can the X3's onboard DAC be bypassed and output through the microUSB?

May 7, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #816 of 17,484
Quote:
I am wondering can the X3 output to a DAC/amp combo (e.g. Leckerton UHA4 or a Pico) to bypass the onboard DAC?

I skimmed the thread looking for any mention for it but didn't found any. Sorry if it's already been asked. And yes I realise this is less of a "audiophile" DAP and more of a sensible approach to one, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

EDIT: I know there's a lineout jack but some combo only accepts USB input to use their DAC. I guess my question should be more on that: can the X3's onboard DAC be bypassed and output through the microUSB?

not, only coaxial output so you can connect X3 to some DAC which support coaxial input.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 7, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #818 of 17,484
Quote:
That's fair enough. Thanks for the fast answer.

That's one of the best talents of James, he always brings good news at lightning speed 
wink.gif

May 7, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #819 of 17,484
Hi jgray91,

Quote:
[snipped]

Quote:
not, only coaxial output so you can connect X3 to some DAC which support coaxial input.

Quote:
That's fair enough. Thanks for the fast answer.

I'm with you in searching for such a device - a portable transport sans DAC and amplifier that outputs only S/PDIF (or a fully loaded DAP, like the X3, that offers S/PDIF out) - but the market for such a thing is very small relative to the thousands of people who will buy the X3 without that feature.  

Still, my dream transport would have something like four microsSD card readers and a nice UI with hard buttons, but no DAC and no amp.  We'll have to keep on dreaming, though, as we are too few in number.  

But I have to say, THANK YOU to James for being so very responsive to the needs of the majority!  Nobody else is listening as well as you do!

Mike

May 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #822 of 17,484
Quote:

You also want to really think about what you actually want to bypass to, because whatever the receiving end has is not necessary a better DAC / amp than what have already been included in X3.

May 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #823 of 17,484
You also want to really think about what you actually want to bypass to, because whatever the receiving end has is not necessary a better DAC / amp than what have already been included in X3.

It's not that I'm basing my purchase of audio accessories based on what the X3 can do but it's a case of me wanting to make more use out of my UHA4. That was an impulse buy, and frankly, it's a bit unused for my peace of mind. :p

In fact, it's more than likely that I'll get the X3 once I'm back in Malaysia (and with more spare money).

I understand what you're saying though.

May 8, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #824 of 17,484
So, it is final that the max. battery capacity we can expect is just 12-15hrs?
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back