The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 7, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #17,251 of 17,481
@TheGiantHogweed , some threads really died down when they changed the interface of the site since many had issues with logging in but I think this thread might not be as active since the third generation X3 is coming out soon and there are very few new owners of the original X3 (which I like better than the X3ii) these days along with no firmware updates so there is little to discuss with the X3 these days.

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #17,253 of 17,481
@TheGiantHogweed , some threads really died down when they changed the interface of the site since many had issues with logging in but I think this thread might not be as active since the third generation X3 is coming out soon and there are very few new owners of the original X3 (which I like better than the X3ii) these days along with no firmware updates so there is little to discuss with the X3 these days.
I can agree that there is less to discuss about this now. But it did seem that this thread was used much more just before the forum change. Same with several of the threads I am subscripted to.
I seem to like the X3's old style design with all the operation buttons being on the front including the volume. I don't like the idea of a music player having a wheel or touch screen like the newer FiiO's

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #17,254 of 17,481
I can agree that there is less to discuss about this now. But it did seem that this thread was used much more just before the forum change. Same with several of the threads I am subscripted to.
I seem to like the X3's old style design with all the operation buttons being on the front including the volume. I don't like the idea of a music player having a wheel or touch screen like the newer FiiO's
I agree about the scroll wheel, I don't like it much either but still on the fence about the touch screen

Sep 5, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #17,255 of 17,481
Not much happening in this thread any more is there? I've got a slight issue that I'm wondering if anyone could give me any advice. I have recently bought an Harmon Kardon Oynx Mini bluetooth speaker. I don't intend to use it with bluetooth much at all. When I first got it and plugged it into my PCs audio, it seemed to distort in the midrange. And the same happened when I plug it into the line out of my X3. It isn't the bass that is the problem. The mid frequencies all rattle and distort. and then these frequencies are playing, then the bass has issues too. I thought it was a problem with the speaker, but not it seems that it really doesn't like the line out of the X3. When I plug it into the headphone socket of the X3, it doesn't have any of these issues. But from what I've read on this forum, I thought you ended up running into problems if you amplify something twice. But this sorts it out. With my PC, I plugged it into the line out of my SMSL M3 and it has the same issue. But I may try plugging it into the headphone socket instead to see if that solves it.

Now I think of it, I do remember some people saying they had issues getting good sound from the X3's line out in their car. Is it boosted or something? It sounds flawless with my headphones through an external headphone amplifier. But when I plug the HK Oynx Mini in (which has a volume control), even on low volumes, it sounds terrible. But the headphone socket sorts it out. I thought the line out on the X3 was designed for something that was already amplified and the headphone socket was for headphones...
Maybe the company who made this speaker expect you to only plug in phones or tablets or low end MP3 players that are not loud at all. I'd be interested if anyone could tell me any more about this. Until I figured out that this makes it sound better, I thought the speaker had a big fault.

Sep 5, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #17,257 of 17,481
The problem with using Line Out into many "portable" type devices is that the inputs aren't designed to handle the voltage level/impedance of a true Line Out - like the X3 LO. They are instead intended for connection to the output of a typical portable mp3 player, phone, etc - which are all headphone outputs. I use my X3 in my old truck, which has a factory CD/tape but no AUX input - so I use a cassette adapter. It distorted terribly on LO, so I use the HO at my normal X3 volume setting. Pretty close match to the radio/CD input levels, and it sounds as good as a factory car audio system can. It did the same into the AUX of an older aftermarket head unit I had. Haven't even tried into my newer vehicles - they all have large USB sticks. It's not like the improved audio from lossless files/X3 DAC is noticeable when played through a car system while driving.

Just use the HO into your Bluetooth speaker. That also allows you to use the Bass/Treble (and volume) controls on the X3.

Sep 5, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #17,258 of 17,481
Not much happening in this thread any more is there? I've got a slight issue that I'm wondering if anyone could give me any advice. I have recently bought an Harmon Kardon Oynx Mini bluetooth speaker. I don't intend to use it with bluetooth much at all. When I first got it and plugged it into my PCs audio, it seemed to distort in the midrange. And the same happened when I plug it into the line out of my X3. It isn't the bass that is the problem. The mid frequencies all rattle and distort. and then these frequencies are playing, then the bass has issues too. I thought it was a problem with the speaker, but not it seems that it really doesn't like the line out of the X3. When I plug it into the headphone socket of the X3, it doesn't have any of these issues. But from what I've read on this forum, I thought you ended up running into problems if you amplify something twice. But this sorts it out. With my PC, I plugged it into the line out of my SMSL M3 and it has the same issue. But I may try plugging it into the headphone socket instead to see if that solves it.

Now I think of it, I do remember some people saying they had issues getting good sound from the X3's line out in their car. Is it boosted or something? It sounds flawless with my headphones through an external headphone amplifier. But when I plug the HK Oynx Mini in (which has a volume control), even on low volumes, it sounds terrible. But the headphone socket sorts it out. I thought the line out on the X3 was designed for something that was already amplified and the headphone socket was for headphones...
Maybe the company who made this speaker expect you to only plug in phones or tablets or low end MP3 players that are not loud at all. I'd be interested if anyone could tell me any more about this. Until I figured out that this makes it sound better, I thought the speaker had a big fault.

The line out outputs at 1.7V. Headphone jack outputs at a much lower rating than that even at full volume.

Sep 5, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #17,260 of 17,481
Thank you all for the comments. Will probably be the last in a few months if we don't try to keep this thread going! Hopefully it will get a few. I still much prefer the design of my X3 over what all their newer players are like. I just hope it will last. One thing I certainly always get is over 10 hours battery life and on average I have been using it at leased 8 hours a week for the past year I think. Even though I've had it since 2014 and it gets a huge amount of use, I haven't noticed any changes in the battery life.

Sep 5, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #17,261 of 17,481
My X3 is still going strong after 3 years, battery life is still 8-10 hours but mine doesn't get much use, maybe a total of 10 hours per month but in the past my ex-GF used to use it almost every day for 1-2 hours walking the dog so it did get quite a bit of use before.

I tried the LO of my X3 to my HT receiver, cheap powered Micca book shelf speakers, and into my Project Ember and had no issues so it looks like as the others noted that the device in question was not designed for the higher line out signal of the X3.

Sep 6, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #17,262 of 17,481
I am looking into selling my X3 because I am really annoyed with a problem. I don't know how to describe it. It sounds like there is a lag in the sound for about 40 seconds then it goes away or if I unplug USB to computer then plug it back in it goes away. I am using it as a DAC and using highest settings on iMac. The headset is SRS-002. It doesnt happen when I play it directly. It must have to do with the USB-DAC part of it. Anybody knows what I mean? I thought about taking a recording of it but not sure how. It sounds horrible. I am looking to get a Mojo.

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #17,263 of 17,481
I think you might have to check with the firm ware version that you are using. I don't use the X3 as a DAC so I can't really answer your question but I remember some saying that the some versions of the firmware had issues with the X3 being used as a DAC.
If you are getting the Mojo what will be your portable source?

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #17,264 of 17,481
I think you might have to check with the firm ware version that you are using. I don't use the X3 as a DAC so I can't really answer your question but I remember some saying that the some versions of the firmware had issues with the X3 being used as a DAC.
If you are getting the Mojo what will be your portable source?

I downgraded from FW version 2.0 to 1.6 and still the same issue. I am using iMac 27 with latest OS. Any ideas? should I try different cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back