The Fiio X3 Thread.
Mar 21, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #17,221 of 17,481
Hope someone can help me here. I have an ifi micro black label, a dead use my x3i as a transport via coax. What I'd like to find is a solid piece, maybe 6 inches to go from the "coaxial out" to the coax in on the micro. The ifi has a regular coaxial in (rca style). I currently use the Fiio adapter connected to a short rca, it works but it's ugly and too long. Will any 3.mm to single rca work? Thanks in advance

This sort of thing will work:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-5m-3-5mm-Mono-Jack-Plug-To-Single-RCA-Phono-Plug-Cable-50cm-008245-/262567595777?hash=item3d223f8f01:g:cfwAAOSwARZXp6XP

You just need to make sure that the 3.5mm jack is mono. So it only has 1 ring on it.

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #17,222 of 17,481
Mar 22, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #17,224 of 17,481

Thanks, that's what I thought, I just can't find one short enough. I'll have to look into having one made I guess.

​I used these part to make a cable for a friend to do something like what you are looking for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-RCA-Right-Angle-Male-plug-Audio-Video-Connector-Soldering-Adapter-/282046415458?var=&hash=item41ab46c262:m:mTnoM8tyHQcnhy1beDmr9ZA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282013336001?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=580966369814&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
(note this is a TRS jack so you need to connect the R and G)

or if the original cable is just short add one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Gold-Plated-Right-Angle-RCA-Male-to-Female-Plug-Connector-90-Degree-MA-/122305689080?hash=item1c79fcb5f8:g:KHAAAOSwUKxYdJ1d

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #17,225 of 17,481
Hi guys, question.
does the X3 have a "partial repeat" function?
I'll try to better explain myself: it's a function like that used to be on older iRivers, that allow you, inside the same song, to set a "play start" and a "play end" and repeat continuously only that segment of that song. Useful for people studying music.

cheers:wink:

Julia

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #17,227 of 17,481
  Hi guys, question.
does the X3 have a "partial repeat" function?
I'll try to better explain myself: it's a function like that used to be on older iRivers, that allow you, inside the same song, to set a "play start" and a "play end" and repeat continuously only that segment of that song. Useful for people studying music.

cheers:wink:

Julia

No, it'll repeat 1 track or all tracks, but not just a portion of the track 

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #17,228 of 17,481
Hi

Many X3 1st Gen users still? I *came back*... hello friends!

My addiction over the last 5 years I guess went Sony E484 -> Sansa clip zip -> X3* -> iBasso DX50* -> Cowon Plenue D* -> iBasso DX80 -> Sony A15 -> FiiO X1ii* -> Sony A35 -> Cowon Plenue D* -> Sony A15 -> X3 1st gen.
* sold, in the case of Cowon, within 48hrs both times (horrible EQ that claims it's vital)
I even strapped a FiiO amp to the DX50. I returned the X1 2nd due to a pretty poor screen quality.

My view? The original X3 has really good low-pass filtering. The DX80 is revealing and has amazing clarity (and some warmth) but that comes with poorly filtered ultrasonics. The Cowon? Headaches. Unexplained ones. Cute, but ultimately horrible machine.

I went back to the X3 (found one on eBay) because I remembered how effortless and non-fatiguing it is, and how much I loved the Bass/Treble controls *and* not having a touchscreen.
Only the Sony A15 (non touchscreen - lovely! amazing battery!) seems to manage aggressive treble as well, some kind of dynamic compression if you ask me, but wadda I know.

I was right. I love it once more. What a journey. I should never have left.
What did I miss? I got v3.4. Any new themes? (running McDown blues). Seems to now play DSD (but slower to respond even than my DX80 is on *some* files...but not sure it sounds any better with DSD like the DX80 did tbh, might downsample them to 88/24).

:)

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #17,229 of 17,481
I apologize if this has been covered, I admit to not having read the 17,000 posts in this thread.

I purchased a Fiio X3 Gen I used.  I have not updated the firmware.  I notice the X3 Gen I uses the filenames for determining track order during playback.  Is there a way to make it use tag information rather than the filename?  I don't change filenames when I rip or download stuff, but I do update the tags. I usually don't have a problem except when listening to classical and opera when I might have several concerti by the same composer and will be treated to all of the first movements followed by all of the second movements and so on.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #17,230 of 17,481
  I apologize if this has been covered, I admit to not having read the 17,000 posts in this thread.

I purchased a Fiio X3 Gen I used.  I have not updated the firmware.  I notice the X3 Gen I uses the filenames for determining track order during playback.  Is there a way to make it use tag information rather than the filename?  I don't change filenames when I rip or download stuff, but I do update the tags. I usually don't have a problem except when listening to classical and opera when I might have several concerti by the same composer and will be treated to all of the first movements followed by all of the second movements and so on.

First of all, check what firmware you have. You might want to update depending on the version. Fiio has made many improvements, just search the thread for more info

If you use the database then the player will use track numbers. Browse by album seems to work best for me
FWIW a program like mp3tag can make changing the filenames to something based on tags a quick and easy process 

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #17,232 of 17,481
  Hi again guys,
I came to the decision to get the X3. Can you suggest me the best micro sd 128gb suited for it, or any 128gb is fine?
Giulia

​I haven't had any issues with Sandisk Ultra (best value) or Samsung EVO Select (a little more pricy) microSD cards, have 8 of them in sizes from 32GB up to 128GB

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #17,233 of 17,481
I bought this 128gb card for my X3 from here:
https://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDXC/Integral/Integral-128GB-UltimaPro-MicroSDXC-Card-80MB_s-with-Adapter-Class-10---UHS-I-U1

It seems strange that is now nearly £40 when I bought it for under £25 just over a year ago. What I also find strange is that they now also sell a 256GB card.

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDXC/Integral/Integral-256GB-Micro-SDXC-Card-For-Smartphone-and-Tablet-UHS-I-U1---90MB_s

But given that I paid under £25 for my 128GB card, why would I spend nearly 6 times the price for only double the capacity? You may as well have a bargin and buy 2 128GB cards. or by 5 cards and have 2 and a half times the amount of space while still saving some money. This seem even more strange considering that things that are double the space often are better value. Like now, 64GB cards almost always are under 2 times the price of 32GB ones. I just don't quite see how 256GB cards are worth the price that they are yet.

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #17,234 of 17,481
If the Fiio cable is long enough get the below.

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Male-Coupler-Connector-Adapter/dp/B007PQ0K1G

Thanks that will work perfect

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #17,235 of 17,481
  Hi

Many X3 1st Gen users still? I *came back*... hello friends!

My addiction over the last 5 years I guess went Sony E484 -> Sansa clip zip -> X3* -> iBasso DX50* -> Cowon Plenue D* -> iBasso DX80 -> Sony A15 -> FiiO X1ii* -> Sony A35 -> Cowon Plenue D* -> Sony A15 -> X3 1st gen.
* sold, in the case of Cowon, within 48hrs both times (horrible EQ that claims it's vital)
I even strapped a FiiO amp to the DX50. I returned the X1 2nd due to a pretty poor screen quality.

My view? The original X3 has really good low-pass filtering. The DX80 is revealing and has amazing clarity (and some warmth) but that comes with poorly filtered ultrasonics. The Cowon? Headaches. Unexplained ones. Cute, but ultimately horrible machine.

I went back to the X3 (found one on eBay) because I remembered how effortless and non-fatiguing it is, and how much I loved the Bass/Treble controls *and* not having a touchscreen.
Only the Sony A15 (non touchscreen - lovely! amazing battery!) seems to manage aggressive treble as well, some kind of dynamic compression if you ask me, but wadda I know.

I was right. I love it once more. What a journey. I should never have left.
What did I miss? I got v3.4. Any new themes? (running McDown blues). Seems to now play DSD (but slower to respond even than my DX80 is on *some* files...but not sure it sounds any better with DSD like the DX80 did tbh, might downsample them to 88/24).

:)

I'm still using my X3 1st Gen, and not only that, I'm using it with firware 2.1!  I've tried later fireware, and keep going back to the 2.1.  I love it, particularly when paired with my Sennheiser earbuds.  I like 2.1 because at that point in time, it was doing everything it was meant to do.  After that, they couldn't get this right, couldn't get that right, and the stupid cover art flub-up was something I just couldn't get past.  Every time I looked at the screen with later firmware I was reminded that FiiO wasn't getting its act together.  2.1 is good.  Looks good, sounds good, plenty of power.  And album covers are there in their entirety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back