The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 30, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #17,281 of 17,481
As I think the battery must still be good in mine, I used a USB meter to test the capacity when recharging from empty. Once it stopped taking in any more current, my meter said it was 2970mAh. That is incredibly close to the batteries capacity. I see some places say the battery is 3100 but others say 3000. Which is it? Anyway, unlike a tablet I have that has a 3000mAh battery, this is still really close to the capacity claimed. My tablet on a full recharge only gets around 1500mAh. I took a picture but it is a bit grainy as it wouldn't focus on the text very well. It is using a little bit of power still just because the screen was on on the X3.
DSCN9059.JPG

I will at some point test to see how long exactly I can get the battery to last.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #17,282 of 17,481
Well, I have tested the X3's battery life today by leaving my headphones plugged in playing music at around the usual volume I listen to when travelling. Had it at 95 on low gain. It lasted 10 hours and 15 minutes before turning itself off. Very impressive. I purchased my X3 in May 2014 and in the last couple of years especially, I have been using it over 6 hours most weeks. It isn't often a battery is as reliable as this. I think I must just be lucky.

I thought I may as well update my profile picture to something I actually own rather than a default picture of what I don't have! So it is of my X3 with my new AKG K550 MKIII which is what I use with it. Was using the original K550s previously.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #17,284 of 17,481
Nice. I'm not even sure my X3 got 10 hours brand new.

The battery gods have completely forsaken me and I don't think I've owned anything that's gotten close to the advertised battery life

Most devices I get usually do last around the advertised battery life, but they often reduce hugely after a year or two. The X3 just hasn't done this. Unless it lasted more than 10 hours to start with. I can't remember that being the case but I never tested it.

BTW, I'm still using your custom firmware on the white theme 3. Very good if you want to see the screen in daylight as it is the brightest of them.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #17,285 of 17,481
Still using mine. Going strong with Trev's firmware.

Jan 22, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #17,286 of 17,481
Finally got her a new case, she needs a battery soon, but as long as it's just used as a transport the battery is fine. When I use it as an actual dap the battery life is somewhat hit and miss. I've had it completely drain off within 30 minutes. It is about 4 years old I think. How hard is the battery in this to replace? I've never looked into it. 20180121_212035.jpg

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #17,287 of 17,481
Finally got her a new case, she needs a battery soon, but as long as it's just used as a transport the battery is fine. When I use it as an actual dap the battery life is somewhat hit and miss. I've had it completely drain off within 30 minutes. It is about 4 years old I think. How hard is the battery in this to replace? I've never looked into it.

From when I took it apart once, I think it just had the + - wires from the battery were either connected or soldered to something. I was just interested, but have never replaced it.

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #17,289 of 17,481
Finally got her a new case, she needs a battery soon, but as long as it's just used as a transport the battery is fine. When I use it as an actual dap the battery life is somewhat hit and miss. I've had it completely drain off within 30 minutes. It is about 4 years old I think. How hard is the battery in this to replace? I've never looked into it.

The replacing the battery isn't the hard part - you do need to disassemble the device, but the battery is on a plugged connection. The hard part is finding anybody to ship the darn things. Nobody wants to ship lithium batteries anymore

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #17,290 of 17,481
The replacing the battery isn't the hard part - you do need to disassemble the device, but the battery is on a plugged connection. The hard part is finding anybody to ship the darn things. Nobody wants to ship lithium batteries anymore

Great....well if it dies it gives me.a reason to upgrade

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #17,291 of 17,481
Great....well if it dies it gives me.a reason to upgrade

I always carry a portable charger with me so I can use my X3 even when it has just run out of power. If you bought just a small capacity power bank just a bit larger than the X3's battery, that should be enough to recharge it full. If you got used to carry something like this around like I do, even if the X3 had poor battery life, this may make you want to keep going with it. I use a right angle micro USB cable to make it more practical as it can still sit in my pocket while charging.

Jan 23, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #17,292 of 17,481
I have an X3 that has been hiding from me for quite a while now. I found it yesterday and it has been months since I last turned it on. I hit the power button and it fired up so quickly and the battery was at 100%. The X3 is very, very nice.

Jan 23, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #17,293 of 17,481
I always carry a portable charger with me so I can use my X3 even when it has just run out of power. If you bought just a small capacity power bank just a bit larger than the X3's battery, that should be enough to recharge it full. If you got used to carry something like this around like I do, even if the X3 had poor battery life, this may make you want to keep going with it. I use a right angle micro USB cable to make it more practical as it can still sit in my pocket while charging.

Well my ifi micro can charge it, but one thing I like about using the x3 on its own is the compact size. I'm just hoping the battery doesn't continue to screw up to the point of failure. Time will tell. It gets used daily so, hoping for the best here but won't be heartbroken if it just dies.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #17,294 of 17,481
I just dropped it in the toilet bowl for a good 10 seconds or so.. I thought it died, even though I shook some of the water out and let it to dry... Tried powering it up, nothing, but after a bit I see the screen flash. Feeling a bit happy I decided to stick my IEMs in and have a listen, but I was then bombarded with such a loud screeching and beeping noise that nearly shattered my ears... Then the device powered down.

So I decided to just open it and see for myself. Once I opened it I saw that the board still had water on it, so I took some tissue and wiped it off, and checked if there was water in it still. After that, I put everything back together, and powered it...

And boy did it turn on again! And it sounds like normal. I can't believe it. I almost thought this device has finally breathed its last after almost 5 years of continued use(as a PC AMP/DAC and player), but it refused to die..

It's currently plugged in my desktop now, still working it's magic. The externals show quite a beating, but now even the internals have had it's share of hardship.

Apr 16, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #17,295 of 17,481
I just dropped it in the toilet bowl for a good 10 seconds or so.. I thought it died, even though I shook some of the water out and let it to dry... Tried powering it up, nothing, but after a bit I see the screen flash. Feeling a bit happy I decided to stick my IEMs in and have a listen, but I was then bombarded with such a loud screeching and beeping noise that nearly shattered my ears... Then the device powered down.

So I decided to just open it and see for myself. Once I opened it I saw that the board still had water on it, so I took some tissue and wiped it off, and checked if there was water in it still. After that, I put everything back together, and powered it...

And boy did it turn on again! And it sounds like normal. I can't believe it. I almost thought this device has finally breathed its last after almost 5 years of continued use(as a PC AMP/DAC and player), but it refused to die..

It's currently plugged in my desktop now, still working it's magic. The externals show quite a beating, but now even the internals have had it's share of hardship.

This may seem odd, but I've heard putting a small electrical device that has been dropped in water in a tub of dry rice can help a lot. I would actually put it in this for several days and leave it. If it has been submerged in water, even if it is working now, it could be temperamental later on. I think it would be worth doing this. Just a suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back