The Fiio X3 Thread.
Apr 5, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #17,237 of 17,484
Guys,
what kind of format needs the micro sd to have? fat32? ntfs?

FAT32 ... and i format it twice one from the PC and the other in the player just in case 
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #17,238 of 17,484
Guys,
what kind of format needs the micro sd to have? fat32? ntfs?

In order to do firmware upgrades it must be fat32, but for playing music I believe both ntfs or exfat will work. Myself, just to keep things simple, I let the player to do the formatting (fat32) and not work bout the file system - I don't think I've noticed any difference between them anyways

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #17,241 of 17,484
I want to thank everyone on this thread for the wealth of information that they provided. The O.G. X3 has been a great DAP and just like my kids it was fun watching it mature and always keep me company.

However I've moved on for my primary DAP (X5iii) and have to say that it's a great upgrade. I don't feel compelled to use the E12 any more so that's a weight savings right there. The extended storage offered by the second slot allows me to dump all my music on the cards and not have to pick and choose what will be available.

However(!) all is not lost as I love the little bugger and it will hold onto life in my Subbie as the primary music source. That way I can have the up-tempo music loaded for when I am in the mountains attacking switchbacks and classical or chill music for the highway runs.

@Fiio....Thank you for the time I was transported by the little gem of a player you released. You are my go-to company for mobile audio and I recommend you to my mates. Keep releasing great products and you'll keep making my wallet lighter.

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #17,242 of 17,484
  Guys What is difference between 3.3 and 3.4 fw on sound ?I can upgrade to 3.4 as your replies.
Thanks.

I may not be correct, but I think 3.3 doesn't remember the path of how you got to the song you are playing. With 3.4, even when you have just turned the player on, if you go back, it goes though all the folders you went through to get to the song. This feature was one I really missed until this firmware came out. FW 3.34 may have had this but I don't think 3.3 did. I think it will be worth the upgrade to 3.4. The short cut to the main menu is a bit different though now. You just need to do 2 long presses of the return button from the now playing screen.

There were one or 2 other improvements too to this firmware I think too.

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #17,243 of 17,484
I want to thank everyone on this thread for the wealth of information that they provided. The O.G. X3 has been a great DAP and just like my kids it was fun watching it mature and always keep me company.

However I've moved on for my primary DAP (X5iii) and have to say that it's a great upgrade. I don't feel compelled to use the E12 any more so that's a weight savings right there. The extended storage offered by the second slot allows me to dump all my music on the cards and not have to pick and choose what will be available.

However(!) all is not lost as I love the little bugger and it will hold onto life in my Subbie as the primary music source. That way I can have the up-tempo music loaded for when I am in the mountains attacking switchbacks and classical or chill music for the highway runs.

@Fiio....Thank you for the time I was transported by the little gem of a player you released. You are my go-to company for mobile audio and I recommend you to my mates. Keep releasing great products and you'll keep making my wallet lighter.

I love the size of the X3 so it's what I use in the gym and sometimes bicycling. I use my X5iii almost everywhere else. Sadly, my two X5 first gen players haven't been turned on since I got the X5iii. I may decide to use an X5 first gen in my new SUV even though it does bluetooth and all. I could do the line out on the X5i into the car system and make use of the the buttons instead of fussing with the tiny touch interface buttons. 

But the X3 I still use daily. I am kind of sad I bought a new old stock X5 a week before I got the X5iii. My original X5 was having issues and I thought I could resist the X5iii. Glad I didn't.

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #17,246 of 17,484
  Have you tested if FIIO X3 or X3 II manage 512 Gb micro sd ?  Cheers :wink:

Sorry, but no such thing exists. There are so many fake cards around. It is only recently that they have managed to extend from 200 to 256GB cards. And 256GB cards are really, really pricy. Often more than the player! So when you look up 512gb cards, the price seems to be under £30. This makes it so obvious that it will be fake. My 128GB card was £24 which was incredible value at the time and that is 25% of the space of 512gb. No such thing exists yet. When it does, if it does, they will quite possibly cost 3 times what the player does which to me would make it totally pointless getting.

Even the standard size 512gb SD card costs £300 from sandisk! Micro SD cards usually jump up in price a lot as they are smaller in size.

If you are wanting this much space, it would working out much better value going for 8 64gb cards or 4 128gb cards.

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #17,248 of 17,484
A couple days ago, while listening, I thought (can't be sure) I heard a crackle, and it seems that ever since, the player has been sounding slightly muffled. However, it's so slight that I can't even be sure it's there. I tried listening with the same earphones from my PC's onboard audio and the muffle seems to disappear. Is it likely to be faulty or just in my head?

How does FiiO's service work, worth pursuing or am I better off looking for a new DAP?

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #17,249 of 17,484
Hi everyone, I was wondering if a charging dock or any docking station is available for the X3 First Gen? I have found one for the later editions, the DK1, but nothing for the very first Fiio dap, the X3 first gen. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #17,250 of 17,484
Hi everyone, I was wondering if a charging dock or any docking station is available for the X3 First Gen? I have found one for the later editions, the DK1, but nothing for the very first Fiio dap, the X3 first gen. Any help would be much appreciated.
I don't think there will be any docking stations that actually work the way they do with the new FiiO players. There may be some universal dock for many different items that will be able to charge the X3 though. The issue is, vertually all docks have the micro USB plug in the middle like smart phones do. There may be one somewhere that has on to one side but I don't think it will really be worth it as it will prevent you using the line out. So it probably will be tricky to find something that would work well.

Good to see a post here for the 1st time in nearly 4 months! To me, it really has been since the forum interface change that has stopped everybody replying to my subscripted threads. The only one that is constantly getting replies and mainly about issues with the forum. I personally did find it better and easier to navigate before and haven't used it as much since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back