The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 29, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #16,726 of 17,483
   the bass impact seems to be a little more subdued and treble a little smoother.

I noticed it too through my momentum, he400 and cowon ek2. But I gave it  a second listen if it is me only observing the changes as there are no posts claiming the changes.
So the sound is changed once again. How come they do this through firmware I wonder!!

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #16,729 of 17,483
  Hope this is better than the PONO MP3

The X3 probably won't be a lot worse. From A review I say of the Pono, I think someone was comparing the X5 and it really didn't stand out. The screen was very poor and the sound wasn't amazing either considering the ridiculous price. The X3's screen will be a fair bit worse than the X5 but then I think even the X3 actually can read more formats when it is a whole lot cheaper too!

What is Pono MP3?

It is this:
http://www.whathifi.com/pono/ponoplayer/review

A player that apparently is something that Neil Young was involved in when designing it.. ( I don't actually know much about what he had to do with it if anything)
Considering the price and a lot of reviews I have read, I don't think it is that impressive. Many Of FiiOs players now will probably beat it quite easily.

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #16,730 of 17,483
  Hope this is better than the PONO MP3

It's a toblerone you can't eat but it plays music
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #16,731 of 17,483
  The X3 probably won't be a lot worse. From A review I say of the Pono, I think someone was comparing the X5 and it really didn't stand out. The screen was very poor and the sound wasn't amazing either considering the ridiculous price. The X3's screen will be a fair bit worse than the X5 but then I think even the X3 actually can read more formats when it is a whole lot cheaper too!
It is this:
http://www.whathifi.com/pono/ponoplayer/review

A player that apparently is something that Neil Young was involved in when designing it.. ( I don't actually know much about what he had to do with it if anything)
Considering the price and a lot of reviews I have read, I don't think it is that impressive. Many Of FiiOs players now will probably beat it quite easily.

Sorry, I thought it was something more subtle.

I own a Pono, so I know what it is. I assumed "Pono MP3" was a reference to something, like an article or a topic from this thread that I missed. I'm new to the FiiO X3.

Thanks!

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #16,733 of 17,483
I am very surprised by how much I like the final X3 Gen I firmware, just released as 3.4.  Now the X3 Gen I has slightly less bass than the X3 Gen II, and a slightly less open sound. 

But of course on the X3 Gen I we can increase the bass by one notch using hardware level eq, even on hi res material.

I think 3.4 really brings out the best of the Gen I X3 units.  Very happy with this.

With regard to the Pono, we have a unit at our office and I did borrow it for one night.  I do not think it sounds that much different than my X3 Gen II unit.  But it has gobs more power.  If you have inefficient headphones I would seriously look at it.

I think the Pono user interface takes some getting used to.

I really like the mode on the Pono where one can compare different resolutions for the same song.  My conclusion is that it is easy to initially think a lower res file sounds better because it is invariably going to be compressed and sound louder.  I takes a bit for the brain to realize that the quieter songs actually have great dynamic range and better instrument articulation. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #16,735 of 17,483
  I noticed it too through my momentum, he400 and cowon ek2. But I gave it  a second listen if it is me only observing the changes as there are no posts claiming the changes.
So the sound is changed once again. How come they do this through firmware I wonder!!

Yes hema, it makes me wonder too. There's no reason why the sound should change unless it's done intentionally and I swear I was not intoxicated with even a drop of beer when I was doing the comparison 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back