The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 19, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #16,696 of 17,481
  The fiio x3 made the avergae factory-installed car stereo of the Seat Ibiza... sound remarkably Good
biggrin.gif
, I gave the fiio x3 to my dad but he abandoned it so i asked him about it and he told me he didn't want it, so ended selling it sadly.

Here here! Toyota Matrix in my case. Sounds best withX3's line out but i get some clipping with some recordings. Next step is to find a nice flash drive sized dac so i can also get great sound when using my Galaxy S3 phone, which is turning out to be harder to find than i imagined. :frowning2:

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #16,698 of 17,481
Oct 25, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #16,699 of 17,481
Recently, I thought the battery life was getting shorter on my X3. I think I must not realize how much I use it. It may sound like a waist of time but I tested this out. Played music on it through my headphones and started checking how low the indicator was each hour after it had been on for 6 hours. By 8 hours, the battery had 2 bars. (I'm not sure if it has bars in the normal theme bus as I use a custom one, that one has 5 or 6 bars.
In the end, it lasted somewhere between 9 - 10 hours. I played it on volume 90 through my AKG K550s. I think that is roughly the times FiiO claimed it would last. I have had it for about over 1 and a half years now I think. I just hope a spare battery will still be available in a few years time in case the life does start to decrease.

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #16,700 of 17,481
Recently, I thought the battery life was getting shorter on my X3. I think I must not realize how much I use it. It may sound like a waist of time but I tested this out. Played music on it through my headphones and started checking how low the indicator was each hour after it had been on for 6 hours. By 8 hours, the battery had 2 bars. (I'm not sure if it has bars in the normal theme bus as I use a custom one, that one has 5 or 6 bars.
In the end, it lasted somewhere between 9 - 10 hours. I played it on volume 90 through my AKG K550s. I think that is roughly the times FiiO claimed it would last. I have had it for about over 1 and a half years now I think. I just hope a spare battery will still be available in a few years time in case the life does start to decrease.
Add a 24 hr battery life amp and that will help the X3 last longer.

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #16,701 of 17,481
Add a 24 hr battery life amp and that will help the X3 last longer.

When i opened the Kaputt one i had i saw the battery is quite easy to replace as it has a clip-on mechanism connector kind of ribbon cable lock

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #16,702 of 17,481
It now looks like the final firmware has been released and translated into English. This looks like it is the final firmware for the original X3.

http://www.fiio.net/en/story/318

I don't think we can say that nothing had been changed since the last firmware. A huge amount has been improved since the last official firmware that was 3.3. A few bugs have been sorted out that were noticeable on the 3.34b version such as when you exit the quick menu, it often started playing another track or skipped to another position in the track you were listening to. The sound has also changed a little.

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #16,703 of 17,481
  It now looks like the final firmware has been released and translated into English. This looks like it is the final firmware for the original X3.

http://www.fiio.net/en/story/318

I don't think we can say that nothing had been changed since the last firmware. A huge amount has been improved since the last official firmware that was 3.3. A few bugs have been sorted out that were noticeable on the 3.34b version such as when you exit the quick menu, it often started playing another track or skipped to another position in the track you were listening to. The sound has also changed a little.

I think the sound has changed alot
regular_smile .gif

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #16,704 of 17,481
I like original sound

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #16,705 of 17,481
Gotta say, that I'm a little disappointed this is where they chosen to leave it. There are still bugs that should've been fixed (m4a tags, supposedly it got fixed for the x1). I have no problem with no new features being added, but it seems like Fiio just said "screw it, we've had enough"

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #16,706 of 17,481
  Gotta say, that I'm a little disappointed this is where they chosen to leave it. There are still bugs that should've been fixed (m4a tags, supposedly it got fixed for the x1). I have no problem with no new features being added, but it seems like Fiio just said "screw it, we've had enough"

It is not what their fb post says. But even if they had said what you are saying, they already have done much more for their customers than most of their competition. Supporting a player with regular fw updates for 2,5 years is a long time nowadays. Well done Fiio.

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #16,707 of 17,481

sounds like Microoft, they screw things on older wndows so you update to the newest one
angry_face.gif
 i resist getting windows 10 until sony VAIO fix the firmwares,meanwhile stick with W8.1

maybe time to get a new fiio 2nd gen... or convert ALAC to FLAC

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #16,708 of 17,481
  It is not what their fb post says. But even if they had said what you are saying, they already have done much more for their customers than most of their competition. Supporting a player with regular fw updates for 2,5 years is a long time nowadays. Well done Fiio.

I'm not going to argue that we haven't got our money's worth and more, it just seems to me that Fiio has been a little more concerned with cranking out new products than making sure the old ones are running at 100%. It's true that 2.5 yrs. is a decent product life, but considering that the code between all the players is pretty much the same, it shouldn't take up too many resources to port over any remaining fixes they do for the new machines. 

Nevertheless, I will continue to use and enjoy my X3.

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #16,709 of 17,481
I thought I would compare this latest firmware to the very earliest one available on FiiO's website. FW1.20. I have to say, overall this old one is very poor in many ways but better in others.

Start with what is better about the FW1.20:

The quick menu has access to bass and treble. Why doesn't the new one have this?

The album art isn't cropped. Although I hardly have any, I have no idea why they decided it should get cropped.

This is only my opinion but I much preferred is when the max volume was 60. It would be the equivelent of being able to make 2 steps at a time with the current firmware. More responsive and you will be able to get to the volume you want much faster. There are advantages to it being 120 too though. If there was a toggle switch between the two, that would have been great. Or the option to skip 2 at a time and keep the max at 120.

I think there are 1 or 2 other things that are better about this but I can't remember right now.

Things that are worse about FW1.20:

Most things are worse.

The menu is very cluttered indeed. Bass and treble boost in the main menu, not the player sound settings.

Very limited option of themes. Just 2.

Really bad crackling sound in the background when playing Mp3s. Very noticeable on quiet tracks.

No EQ!

Doesn't remember the path of where the song you are listening to came from.

Doesn't play through folders.

Quite slow and not very responsive. Takes about 3 seconds to skip to the next track.

This is my opinion but the battery logo looks so much worse when it is solid and doesn't have bars to indicate how full it is.

No DAC function even from what I can tell.

There are many more disadvantages that this too.

Overall, a lot of progress has been made but I wish several of the features has been kept.

Oct 28, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #16,710 of 17,481
Yes, a lot of progress was made. Personally, I spent a lot of time helping with FW development of both X3 and X5 by posting bugs, suggesting new features, and beta testing FW. It was a wild ride, but it was worth it to help make Fiio's DAPs better!

Regarding volume steps, I distinctly remember the switch to 120 steps coincided with SQ improvement. Maybe it was a coincidence. Certainly helps fine tune volume with sensitive IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back