The Fiio X3 Thread.
Nov 1, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #16,757 of 17,481
Mr Trev: You won't hear the difference being discussed with LO. We're talking HO sound. I didn't A/B 3.34b vs. 3.4, though - just 3.4 vs. other DAPs.

I don't really understand why the sound from the LO shouldn't be affected it's not exactly like they change the OP amp with the fw update.

That beings said I haven't heard any changes whatsoever in the sound after they solved the problem with mp3 decoding a giid while ago.

I probably need to get myself some new gear so that I hear the difference as well :wink:

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #16,758 of 17,481
Mr Trev: You won't hear the difference being discussed with LO. We're talking HO sound. I didn't A/B 3.34b vs. 3.4, though - just 3.4 vs. other DAPs.

I don't really understand why the sound from the LO shouldn't be affected it's not exactly like they change the OP amp with the fw update.

That beings said I haven't heard any changes whatsoever in the sound after they solved the problem with mp3 decoding a giid while ago.

I probably need to get myself some new gear so that I hear the difference as well :wink:

Okay, Peter. I surrender :wink:

"Won't hear the difference" was too broad a statement. I just meant that...

A. People have been specifically discussing difference in HO, whereas Trev doesn't use HO at all and shouldn't have the expectation of hearing any difference since he's using LO with an amp in the chain.

B. I didn't state that there was any difference between 3.34 b vs. 3.4 - just between X3 running 3.4 and other DAPs. In fact, I actually suggested to one member to record a couple well-known tracks via HO with each firmware and A/B. ClieOS did this awhile back with several generations of FW from one of the Fiio DAPs and threw the files up in a file share so people could A/B.
:beerchug:

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #16,759 of 17,481
Okay, Peter. I surrender :wink:

"Won't hear the difference" was too broad a statement. I just meant that...

A. People have been specifically discussing difference in HO, whereas Trev doesn't use HO at all and shouldn't have the expectation of hearing any difference since he's using LO with an amp in the chain.

B. I didn't state that there was any difference between 3.34 b vs. 3.4 - just between X3 running 3.4 and other DAPs. In fact, I actually suggested to one member to record a couple well-known tracks via HO with each firmware and A/B. ClieOS did this awhile back with several generations of FW from one of the Fiio DAPs and threw the files up in a file share so people could A/B.
:beerchug:

Lol, don't worry Nikolas :wink: I'm just curious why I'm not able to hear any difference while many other does.

Thanks for clarifying that you ment between X3 and other DAP'S I didn't catch that.

I'm not denying there's a change in the sound but if it is it's certainly nothing significan or dramatic like some posts makes it sound like.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #16,762 of 17,481
Well I think that 3.4 sounds different in both line out and headphone out.  For me, and this is a very subjective view, 3.4 is less muffled sounding and more open.  It is possible that one might find the treble a book overpowering, in which case one can utilize the hardware level tone controls.  I tried the FIIO EX1 on my tour swing this way and found that taking treble down a tad and bass up a tad to be helpful.

I am absolutely sure your mileage will vary. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #16,765 of 17,481
Sound has changed - theres no doubt. But there one thing that makes me worried. I like much more sound of 3.34b. Now theres no need for me to change FW to 3.4, but what if in future something new come out? 3.5, or 3.6? That's forcing me to use to new sound.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #16,766 of 17,481
  Ooh, I just saw that very old firmwares are available for download.  Maybe I'll try 1.2!
Seriously, I really like the Final Firmware.  Using AKG K240 Studio headphones, low gain, treble 10, bass 2.

Treble what?
eek.gif

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #16,767 of 17,481
Sound has changed - theres no doubt. But there one thing that makes me worried. I like much more sound of 3.34b. Now theres no need for me to change FW to 3.4, but what if in future something new come out? 3.5, or 3.6? That's forcing me to use to new sound.

Don't worry, there won't be anymore. FiiO have declaed that support will stop for the X3 and given the looong time between the latest fw releases I'm sure they'll not use any mire resources on it (although I hope I'm wrong :wink:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back