The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 28, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #16,711 of 17,484
Yes, a lot of progress was made. Personally, I spent a lot of time helping with FW development of both X3 and X5 by posting bugs, suggesting new features, and beta testing FW. It was a wild ride, but it was worth it to help make Fiio's DAPs better!

Regarding volume steps, I distinctly remember the switch to 120 steps coincided with SQ improvement. Maybe it was a coincidence. Certainly helps fine tune volume with sensitive IEM.

Just thought of another disadvantage about the new one. For the volume, you need to press once to get the volume to appear, then again within 2 seconds to adjust it. You can't just press it once wait for a bit to see if it is right, then press it again because the you need to get the volume thing to pop up again. Now I am testing 1.20, that is easily a better way of changing the volume.

I have always found it a bit of a pain that I have to press 2 buttons to turn the volume up a step if I leave more than 2 seconds between each.

Oct 28, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #16,712 of 17,484
Agreed. I personally dislike the Volume overlay that prevents other hardware input for a few seconds, as well. Changing the Volume indicator in the top bar is sufficient for me.

Also agreed that removing HW Bass/Treble controls from the Quick Menu was a step backwards and complained about that.

Can't win every battle...

Oct 28, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #16,713 of 17,484
  I'm not going to argue that we haven't got our money's worth and more, it just seems to me that Fiio has been a little more concerned with cranking out new products than making sure the old ones are running at 100%. It's true that 2.5 yrs. is a decent product life, but considering that the code between all the players is pretty much the same, it shouldn't take up too many resources to port over any remaining fixes they do for the new machines. 

Nevertheless, I will continue to use and enjoy my X3.

I think they are just much more excited about X7 at the moment. Which is actually understandable. These are people who really like what they do. And this kind of people need new challenges time to time. Maybe more often than others. So in the centre of their interest is X7 at the moment. (Or something else even further in the future.) X3 has simply left the orbit of their mind. And as you admit, we can not really complain. :)

Oct 28, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #16,714 of 17,484
Yes, I tried out a older fw a while back, and it is a day and night difference. Some things were better, but mostly huge improvements. Looking at the GUI on the Gen 2 players, even better.

Maybe Fiio's biggest mistake was using a proprietary interface to begin with. They have admitted trouble find people to code it, might have been better going with android from the start

Hope I'm not coming off like some crank that thinks everything should be done my way

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #16,718 of 17,484

lol. There's something strange, yes. I still don't know what exactly. But it's cleaner and clearer. Like a different player. Maybe needs some time to adjust to the new sound.

And less impact too if you noticed 
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #16,720 of 17,484
I actually listened to a test track before and after upgrading, I need to crank up the volume of v3.4 a little bit more to reach the same level of v3.34b. One thing I noticed is that the bass impact seems to be a little more subdued and treble a little smoother. I somehow like the sound of the v3.34b better. Both versions are tested without any EQ. Just my honest findings....YMMV.

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #16,721 of 17,484
  I actually listened to a test track before and after upgrading, I need to crank up the volume of v3.4 a little bit more to reach the same level of v3.34b. One thing I noticed is that the bass impact seems to be a little more subdued and treble a little smoother. I somehow like the sound of the v3.34b better. Both versions are tested without any EQ. Just my honest findings....YMMV.

i have the same view as u too...

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #16,722 of 17,484
the new fw sounds thin and weak to me....   had to use EQ in an attempt to fix it...   

they also are in beta release for the X5...  will be interesting if they changed the sound signature on it too...  funny how these are
coming out just as the X7 is coming out...  

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #16,725 of 17,484
  Question for the folks claiming sq changes: You guys using the headphone out, cause I don't hear any difference using LO and an amp.

I don't see why the line out should sound different on any digital device as it will be more to do with the amplifier you are using that changes the sound.

Something about the new firmware sound through the headphone out has changed though. I use the headphone out very often with the K550s while on the move. The treble is just a little bit cleaner and the bass had a little less impact to it. I can't say it is a big change at all.

My AT-AD700s already have very little bass and there is only now a tiny bit less noticeable than before.

If I go back to a firmware such as 3.0, the difference between the sound quality through the headphone out is huge. 3.0 sounded just didn't sound as open and spacious as this latest one. However, for me, no firmware sounded any different through the line out. Maybe the even older firmwares did sound worse because they has some strange background noise during Mp3 playback. But that was through both the line out and headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back