The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 9, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #16,366 of 17,484
Can someone suggest a portable headphone that works well Fiio X3? I recently got the AKG K553 Pro and it looks like it's not for someone that just uses headphones for listening. Anyway, wondering what's a good portable headphone. A friend of mine suggested Beyerdynamic DT 1350. I'm looking for a portable, close, and has good noise isolation. Thanks!

Aug 10, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #16,368 of 17,484
Can someone suggest a portable headphone that works well Fiio X3? I recently got the AKG K553 Pro and it looks like it's not for someone that just uses headphones for listening. Anyway, wondering what's a good portable headphone. A friend of mine suggested Beyerdynamic DT 1350. I'm looking for a portable, close, and has good noise isolation. Thanks!

I use the K550s with the X3 and they pair very well. They are the old versions of the new K553 pros. I somehow don't think the k553 will sound whole lot better. You could save a lot of money though if you bought the K550s instead.
They loose quite a lot of their bass when you are on the move on a bus/train but if you use the X3's hardware bass boost, that really helps bring that bass back. They don't loose any of their detail. They also do a very good job of bloacking background noise around you. You can also listen to music pretty loud without other people around ou noticing. This isn't so good in a place that is very quiet though. People will notice then if it is quite loud.

What exactly do you mean by "it looks like it's not for someone who just uses headphones for listening"? Is it related to the fact that they look like they could be good ear defenders too because of their size? :D

The main issue with these headphones is that is you don't have a big head and a good fit, you loose the impact to th bass. They need to fit perfectly or else you seem to loose that low end punch sound. They fit me fine but I do think this is one think AKG might have improved with the new K553 Pros.

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #16,372 of 17,484
I use the K550s with the X3 and they pair very well. They are the old versions of the new K553 pros. I somehow don't think the k553 will sound whole lot better. You could save a lot of money though if you bought the K550s instead.
They loose quite a lot of their bass when you are on the move on a bus/train but if you use the X3's hardware bass boost, that really helps bring that bass back. They don't loose any of their detail. They also do a very good job of bloacking background noise around you. You can also listen to music pretty loud without other people around ou noticing. This isn't so good in a place that is very quiet though. People will notice then if it is quite loud.

Not sure about this. I kinda noticed that despite having a volume very loud, when a friend of mine puts it on, I can't hear what he/she is listening to.

What exactly do you mean by "it looks like it's not for someone who just uses headphones for listening"? Is it related to the fact that they look like they could be good ear defenders too because of their size?

Haha Yeah! They're very big and the cable is quite thick and long.

Yeah, I had no idea what studio headphones looked like. I guess this is it. It doesn't seem to be only for listening since AKG listed its application as "Mastering, mixing, and monitoring." This model wasn't listed in their site before when I researched for it before I think (so I hadn't realized that this was for professional use).

Oh, paired with Fiio X3, it sounds really good.

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #16,373 of 17,484

Not sure about this. I kinda noticed that despite having a volume very loud, when a friend of mine puts it on, I can't hear what he/she is listening to.

Haha Yeah! They're very big and the cable is quite thick and long.

Yeah, I had no idea what studio headphones looked like. I guess this is it. It doesn't seem to be only for listening since AKG listed its application as "Mastering, mixing, and monitoring." This model wasn't listed in their site before when I researched for it before I think (so I hadn't realized that this was for professional use).

Oh, paired with Fiio X3, it sounds really good.

Yes, you have reminded me! :D The cable is 3m. Was quite a big issue at first. I ended up braiding it and they now look like this:

If it wasn't for the fact that the headphones fold flat, I wouldn't have got them. They fit nicely in the front of my laptop bag with my X3.

You could maybe research the K551s. They have a shorter cable but people have said it is thin and flimsy. Also the end is very chunky and isn't metal like the K550s. The K551s also have a in-line remote but that won't work with the 1st Gen X3. The K551s will sound just as good though and for some reason, on amazon.co.uk they are cheaper a lot of the time. I don't know if that will be the case everywhere.

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #16,374 of 17,484
Sweet! Thanks for this @TheGiantHogweed. Definitely helpful! Sorry for hijacking the thread guys. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #16,375 of 17,484
Aug 13, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #16,376 of 17,484
This is the first time I have tried to create a playlist using the X3. Do they all have to be called Playlist 1, Playlist 2 and keep going up like that? I tried renaming the m3u file on my PC and once I had done that, the X3 wouldn't see the playlist.
I would also like to know if the X3 puts the tracks in order by how you add them. If it does this, then that will be very good instead of putting them alphabetically. I would have the tracks in date order.
I would want to call this play list "band name" Playlist but I don't know how to do this.

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #16,378 of 17,484
  Any ideas what is causing an X3 to shut down when a set of headphones is plugged in?

Firmware: 3.3

First of all, try turning it on with your headphones already plugged in.

It could maybe be a safety feature. There may be something it doesn't like about your headphones. Maybe try going into settings and reset factory defaults. It may help but it does seem an unusual problem.

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #16,380 of 17,484
  Hello anyone!

I'm thinking about changing my X3 fot the new X3 2nd generation....do you think is a good idea? The new version "sounds better"?

Regards
Gonzalo

Depends on what kind of music you listen to and what headphones you use.
To me it was an obvious upgrade.
But in X3 thread people will say keep your X3.
If you ask the same question in X3 2nd gen thread, people will say upgrade immediately. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back