The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jul 29, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #16,336 of 17,484
Hey guys....

If I use my X3 as a DAC while downloading songs, (essentially downloading them through the X3) will this result in a higher quality audio recording?

I am very curious ever since realizing it can be used as a standalone DAC, but have not used it in this regard yet, and this would be the avenue I would most likely pursue, If it is indeed a possible way to increase the fidelity of audio I am downloading. 

Also if I play music through it as a DAC, into another computer, is there any chance of the secondary recording being of a higher fidelity?

I realize these may be truly "Noob" questions, and I will admit right now, that I am a "Noob" to all things X3.

Any advice you guys can dole out, will be absorbed like a sponge.

Thx

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #16,337 of 17,484
  Hey guys....

If I use my X3 as a DAC while downloading songs, (essentially downloading them through the X3) will this result in a higher quality audio recording?

No, you can not download them through the X3 since the X3 does not support internet connection.
High quality recording/file depends solely on what format/bitrate/etc of the file you're downloading.
The X3 has nothing to do with it.

Also if I play music through it as a DAC, into another computer, is there any chance of the secondary recording being of a higher fidelity?

I don't really understand your question tbh, but you are playing music from your computer into your X3 as DAC. The DAC in the X3 might result in better sound quality if your computer has bad soundcard.
And again, the quality of the recording depends on how good the mastering/file first.

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #16,338 of 17,484

Hey guys....

No, you can not download them through the X3 since the X3 does not support internet connection.
High quality recording/file depends solely on what format/bitrate/etc of the file you're downloading.
The X3 has nothing to do with it.

I don't really understand your question tbh, but you are playing music from your computer into your X3 as DAC. The DAC in the X3 might result in better sound quality if your computer has bad soundcard.
And again, the quality of the recording depends on how good the mastering/file first.

For example if I play music through my phone into my I Mac audio in port for the purpose of
Recording this track, would it serve me
Better to play this through the phone through the X3, and then into the I Mac? I understand it
Will not change the bit rate, but I assume the X3 is a better quality DAC than my I phone 5s

And thanks for the quick response. People here are the absolute best. :grinning:

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #16,339 of 17,484
For example if I play music through my phone into my I Mac audio in port for the purpose of
Better to play this through the phone through the X3, and then into the I Mac? I understand it
Will not change the bit rate, but I assume the X3 is a better quality DAC than my I phone 5s

And thanks for the quick response. People here are the absolute best. :grinning:

the x3 is better quality dac but you can't play music from your phone through it .... it doesn't support Bluetooth or WI fi it is only a  player and a USB dac ... so your best bet is to use your phone to transmit the song through your imac ... then pass it through usb to the X3 ...  i believe so

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #16,340 of 17,484

Completely backwards. In your scenario the X3 will not send the raw info or decoded info to the iMac. The DAC mode is meant only to go from the computer to the X3.

The iMac will decode the file format and pass it to the X3 to convert the decoded digital signal to an analogue signal for the headphone amp or line out to an external amp. All the computer is doing is the organization and format decoding instead of the mSD card and SoC in the X3.

You can not input a music signal to the iMac from the X3.

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #16,341 of 17,484
Does anyone get this issue with the latest firmware?​

-When selecting an album from an Artist with over 6 albums, selecting the bottom album views all tracks from all albums instead of just that album, you have to scroll down more to select a certain album.

It's like "all songs" is default on 7th position even though it has an album's name on that location.  A minor bug, but worth noting.

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #16,342 of 17,484
  Does anyone get this issue with the latest firmware?​

-When selecting an album from an Artist with over 6 albums, selecting the bottom album views all tracks from all albums instead of just that album, you have to scroll down more to select a certain album.

It's like "all songs" is default on 7th position even though it has an album's name on that location.  A minor bug, but worth noting.

Do you use "browse files"? I don't get this problem with that. I have several artists/bands with over 6 albums and the 6th and 7th one down just shows the tracks that are in them. I'm not sure what this could be.

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #16,343 of 17,484
I just bought a x3 on craigslist.  I listen to it last night with firmware (I think) 1.4.  Sounded good momentum and sounded good with Alpha dogs amped with o2 and through the X3 line out.

BUT today I bought SD card.  updated firmware and loaded SD with music.  Now it music sounds tinny and distorted.  What is going on here ?

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #16,344 of 17,484
  I just bought a x3 on craigslist.  I listen to it last night with firmware (I think) 1.4.  Sounded good momentum and sounded good with Alpha dogs amped with o2 and through the X3 line out.

BUT today I bought SD card.  updated firmware and loaded SD with music.  Now it music sounds tinny and distorted.  What is going on here ?

1.4 totally sucks. Install 3.34b (first post of this thread) and see how good this player sounds. Anyways the distortion you mention has nothing to do with firmware, I'm pretty sure.

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #16,345 of 17,484

1.4 totally sucks. Install 3.34b (first post of this thread) and see how good this player sounds. Anyways the distortion you mention has nothing to do with firmware, I'm pretty sure.

I said I updated firmware.  I updated to 3.34b then thats when distortion started.  I think its having music on the SD card or the firmware.

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #16,346 of 17,484
I said I updated firmware.  I updated to 3.34b then thats when distortion started.  I think its having music on the SD card or the firmware.

Have you tried a hard reset or resting to factory settings? Those are the easiest things to try.

Did you reformat the card in the X3 before loading music? If not, give that a try if resetting the X3 doesn't work.

:beerchug:

Aug 5, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #16,348 of 17,484
Bricked.

went to sleep after 3 min auto shutdown in pause, now won't wake back up.
hit the reset, nothing is happening..
it's currently charging (red light indicator), but nothing on the screen.

been using a 3.0fw that was my own variation on McDowns theme. been working great for a few weeks now.

so,
I've been searching for a way to unbrick or at least find a spot in NYC for service but the fiio site gives me no leeds.
I've got nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back