The Fiio X3 Thread.
Sep 6, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #12,616 of 17,481
Hello Marat Sar,

New versions of the firmware are supposed to sound better because of a decoding improvement, especially on mp3 and Ogg Vorbis. Something like this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/7350#post_10477398

But I think 2.14 already contained this improvement, so... :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 6, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #12,617 of 17,481
But I think 2.14 already contained this improvement, so...
smily_headphones1.gif

So no downloading and flashing new firmware to get massive earth-shattering improvement in SQ?
A pity... looks like I´mgonna have to do it the old-fashioned way - shelling out 2500 USD on amazon.

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #12,622 of 17,481
Oh yeah, that's what I figured. I'd just be surprised if the difference between X3 and AK240 is "earth shattering", but I guess we all have different opinions and preferences...

I use my x3 digital out with the JH 3A  and there is a drastic difference in sound when I use the same IEMs (JH 16s) from the 3A and the X3 amp. The difference is in favor of the 3A. This is not to say the X3 is bad, but for that kind of value there is only so much you can expect from a company and fiio probably got about as much quality as anyone could expect at that price point. . I think the 3A was an extra $600 on top of the 16s and still remains a no regret audio purchase after 2+ years of daily use. The point is, you are going to have to pay for a really top notch sound, with the IEM/headphone being the most critical component.

The only thing that I am not crazy about with the X3 is the diagonal buttons which are more difficult to use when in a pocket. Also, when you restart it goes back to last played song but if you try to go back to the folder where the song is from you have to do it by starting at browse and working to it. It remembers the song and forgets the folder.It's like remembering the address of your house but forgetting what city you live in.

Sep 6, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #12,623 of 17,481

The only thing that I am not crazy about with the X3 is the diagonal buttons which are more difficult to use when in a pocket. Also, when you restart it goes back to last played song but if you try to go back to the folder where the song is from you have to do it by starting at browse and working to it. It remembers the song and forgets the folder.It's like remembering the address of your house but forgetting what city you live in.

+1 that what i hope to cure with the future updates .... and i hope also to make the bass & treble settings in the shortcut menu like the previous firmwares .........and if that is available ... making and saving presets of bass & treble settings ... that would be awesome : easy and provides a wow effect when switching between flat and the bass and treble presets 
rolleyes.gif

BTW i think that Fiio made a huge step in the world of DAPs with the X3 in terms of features , sound quality and value .. player like this deserves more attention to it and enriching by features as far as software can go ... X3 is that good

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #12,624 of 17,481
Digging through a copy of the X1 firmware. I think I should be able to make an theme based off it (assuming James/Joe/or anybody else at Fiio doesn't object).
Back when I first heard that Fiio was going to remake the fw based off the x5, I kinda thought we'd get something that looks like the X1 UI. Oh well, looks like it's up to me
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #12,628 of 17,481
Yes to manage them without looking at them, the best hint is to feel the space between diagonal controls. But reaching the back or pause buttons, blindly is a serious challenge.
Anyway a minor issue, happy the device overall. My only complaint now, is that I'm feeling it slow to respond. 

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #12,629 of 17,481
  Also, when you restart it goes back to last played song but if you try to go back to the folder where the song is from you have to do it by starting at browse and working to it. It remembers the song and forgets the folder.It's like remembering the address of your house but forgetting what city you live in.

+1 to your thoughts McMaz......I'm also experiencing the same......it's like paying for a cab to take you home and the driver stopped 200 meters from home and ask you to take a 200 meters walk home 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back