The Fiio X3 Thread.
Sep 5, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #12,601 of 17,484
  Very similar,

Yes the Stingray will take you around town nice and fast, drop top and all, very nice! (X3)
The Z06 will relocate your eyes to the sides of your head... Want, WANT NOW!! (X5)
Like the X3/X5, cost increases proportionately.
biggrin.gif

I have the X3 but never heard the X5. Is the sound difference that great? I mean big enough difference to justify the price difference..I've read some peoples comments that they didn't think it was better enough for the price and that the scroll wheel seemed loose.

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #12,602 of 17,484

I have the X3 but never heard the X5. Is the sound difference that great? I mean big enough difference to justify the price difference..I've read some peoples comments that they didn't think it was better enough for the price and that the scroll wheel seemed loose.

I don't have the X5 so I can't comment on it's sound, but from the comments of regulars here that have switched up from the X3 I see it as an upgrade. Just the Dual TF slots and USB OTG is a major plus in my books.

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #12,604 of 17,484
Chiming in although I´ve never heard the x5, just because I haven´t got anything better to do than point out something very subjective: the x3 looks better than the x5. That iPod-like wheel, I find, looks hideous. That´s why I chose the x3 anyway. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #12,607 of 17,484

Very similar,

Yes the Stingray will take you around town nice and fast, drop top and all, very nice! (X3)
The Z06 will relocate your eyes to the sides of your head... Want, WANT NOW!! (X5)
Like the X3/X5, cost increases proportionately.
biggrin.gif

Speaking as someone who went form an X3 to an X5 I definitely feel the improvement is worth the extra money being charged for the X5. Personally I feel the X5 looks better, and feels better than the X3, and the extra size and weight has never been an issue for me. I have heard others who feel that the X5 is not that big of an improvement over the X3 and frankly this baffles me. Personal preference I suppose.

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #12,608 of 17,484
For me the X5 is a vast improvement. Ergonomics, speed, sound quality, storage, build quality. However, if the rest of your audio chain isn't in the same league you may not notice a large difference, ie. resolving headphones and good source files.

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #12,609 of 17,484
For me the X5 is a vast improvement. Ergonomics, speed, sound quality, storage, build quality. However, if the rest of your audio chain isn't in the same league you may not notice a large difference, ie. resolving headphones and good source files.

+ agreed....just the dual memory is already big plus

Sep 5, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #12,610 of 17,484
The dual memory is great, haven't used the OTG yet, but the option is great.  In some respects I prefer the wheel, but the buttons themselves don't seem as intuitive to me.  I enjoy the EQ on the X5, but the X3's method is enjoyable too and frankly easier.  I also like the stacking kit because it's generally a little more common for me to listen on the X5 than my computer, so an easy to move Dap/Amp brick is nice.  I won't speak on sound quality differences because I'm not sure how much of what I've heard is real or placebo, especially considering I haven't gone back and forth in quick succession between the two to compare differences, but I do find them both enjoyable.  I honestly can't say for sure whether I feel the X5 is drastically better than the X3, but I certainly don't regret owning either.  The X3 is nice and slim compared to the larger X5's size, which fits in a pocket better.  But at this point I'm certainly rambling, so whether the X5 is better than the X3 mainly depends on your own value system, and how much money you have to throw at the hobby, or if you find a good deal like I did, at least I'd assume $225 for an essentially new X5 was good.

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #12,611 of 17,484

I own both and I really like having both. When I go for a walk I grab the X3. When I go for a drive I like the X5. What I really like is when I am listening to one I don't wish for the other. They both sound really nice to me and I would hate to have to pick a favorite based on sound alone. I was never all that amazed or impressed with the overly simple Apple iPod interface and I am fine with both Fiio products in that regard. If I had to pick between the two I'd go with the X5 due to the higher capacity and the overall coolness of the device. I am slightly amused that people sell there X3s when they buy an X5. I think both are a fine thing and the X3 is so cheap I can't see why anyone would abandon it. But then I am a zillionaire so what the heck.
(If I really was a zillionaire I'd have the AK240/Hugo combination I suppose)

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #12,612 of 17,484
Sep 6, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #12,613 of 17,484
Why did your friend not like the X5?

Oooh, that's from an old post! Lol!

He says he preferred the warmer sound of the X3 and the bass/treble tone controls (he uses the AKG K550). Personally I don't think he gave the X5 enough of a chance (he returned it the same day). Then again some people don't like to have all the detail retrieval and a more neutral signature. We like what we like.

Edit: His favourite thing is to boost the bass by +6db and treble by +4db so I'd say he's more into a 'fun' U shaped sound signature rather than a flat listening experience (which I find fun).

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #12,615 of 17,484
Can someone comment on firmware version / sound quality? 

I´m currently running the 2.14 because it´s got a prettier modded theme, does the 3.0 really sound better, as some have said? Because I can´t imagine how firmware could make it sound better. Am suspecting these reports are psychological.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back